Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
Alpo
Star
Star

Does anyone have experience with or thoughts about the EdisonBright batteries?  These are now on amazon for $20 for a 4 pack, which is about 1/2 the price of Nitecores.  

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-EdisonBright-rechargeable-protected-batteries/dp/B016R53ASA/

Here are the specs from the webpage:

Specification
Battery Size: 16340 (RCR123A)
Chemistry: Li-ion
Voltage: 3.7V
Capacity: 650mAh
Charge current: 325mA (0.5C)
Maximum Charge Current: 650mA (1C)
Maximum Discharge Current: 1500mA (2C)
Diameter: 0.66" (16.8mm)
Height: 1.32" (33.7mm)
Weight: 0.56 oz (16g)

Features:
500 recharge cycles
Triple over-heat protection
Over-discharge protection
High capacity at low temperature (-10°C)
Higher capacity and lower weight than other rechargeable batteries
Higher energy density
Free from leakage of Liquid Electrolyte

From the price history, this looks like a great deal for these: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Genuine-EdisonBright-rechargeable-protected-batteries/product/B016R53ASA

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just check the overall length... some cells are to long as allowed by makers variances.

So mic a set of OEMs and compare.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Ok please tell me exactly what to buy - I thought we could not use rechargeable batteries - I read this earlier when I first brought my cameras -- so if I buy Nitecore - what exactly am I buying and where am I buying them from - it is CR 123?  it comes with rechargeable battery unit -- how much?  I am ready to buy batteries now and rechargeable unit?

Vallorie

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Please read my earlier post a page or 2 back. I added additional info on excellent prices from Light junction. Com and my eagletec Rcr123a batteries along with nitecore I4 charger. You ha e to remember that rechargeable batteries need to have protection built in. Only 3 brands have shown to have excellent performance and reliability including nitecore and eagletec. Shop only from authorized retailers like Light junction to avoid fakes. After that, enjoy arlo system without worrying about battery life, as these batteries could be recharged up to 500 times... 😊
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
If it was not for rechargeable batteries... My arlo would have been returned already... Oem batteries lasted only a month... So a month or even less on rechargeable batteries is no big deal, as quick few hours and they are fully charged and ready. No additional cost to me. I wish Netgear would partner with one of these battery companies and release a rechargeable kit... Even if lower battery life, people would love it. Would be much easier to buy as well.
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I posted the strengths left on batteries -- over 60% only the basement is gone completely - so do I need to change all batteries

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I have no idea what OEMs mean

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

One page two - I have no idea how to get back to page 2

Vallorie

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
You need to learn how to use Google to research.

OEM means original equipment manufacturer.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
No, only the battery that is dead. Come on...
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

You said OH COME ON - I wrote that because in the Manual  IT SAYS CHANGE ALL BATTERIES AT THE SAME TIME - that is why I asked ==

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I know how to use the search engine - I only asked a question -- if you have a problem with me asking DON'T RESPOND - also you need to know not everyone is computer savvy - some folks can be older on this sight and just don't know -- so be polite and answer the questions or just don't respond

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I am going to this site - Light junction.com and order eagletec Rcr123a batteries along with nitecore I4 charger.  Thank you.

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

went to LightJunction and saw this one which appears to have longer life and cheaper though out of stock - any reason why you did not get this brand

Olight ORB-186P34 3400mAh 18650 Specification:

• Olight 18650 3.7V Protected Li-ion rechargeable batteries.
  • Maximum Charge: 3600mAh
  • Maximum Discharge: 4200mAh
  • Charge Current: 1700mA
  • Charging Cycle: 500 charges
  • Voltage: 3.6V
  • Chemistry: Li-ion
  • Weight: 49 gram
  • Dimension: 18.6 mm x 69.5 mm

Vallorie

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Olight is great too. It was out of stock for a long time. If it is cheaper than eagletec or nitecore, go with those. They are excellent. Olight, nitecore, and eagletec are the only batteries recommended for arlo for rechargeables.
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

wow that is a great price re rechargeable on Amazon - I am gonna goggle reviews

Vallorie

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Vallorie, I had good success with Olights, I ordered then from BatteryJunction.  Prices are very reasonable there.  The Charger, NiteCore D4, I got from Amazon.  It's been a good combination.  

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I just ordered the Edison Bright batteries and recharger -- this is a great deal and the has good reviews - get it while it is HOT!!

Vallorie

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Where did you find reviews on these batteries with results in Arlo? When you get yours, could you post your results. It would be great to have a forth option for battery choice.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the specs on the 18650 - they're more the size of a AA in length. No way they'll fit in Arlo. You need 16340.

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

I beleive they are 18mm X 65mm (18650) as opposed to 16mm X 34mm  (16340)   I think Tesla use several thousand in each car .

Alg. 

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

OK I cancelled my order on Amazon re EdisonBright - just in time

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

ok great - thank you - getting Olights at Junction Battery then

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I just received this info from EdisonBright through Amazon -- this is what they said re batteries

n Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:47 PM, EdisonBright® - Amazon Marketplace

<0yyy554t7g1k8cd@marketplace.amazon.com> wrote:

Hi, Order is cancelled. However as per our knowledge, many customers use them for Arlo cameras. Could you please let us know the source for this information just for our knowledge. Thank you.

Vallorie

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Specs of Edison should fit...

Specification
Battery Size: 16340 (RCR123A)
Chemistry: Li-ion
Voltage: 3.7V
Capacity: 650mAh
Charge current: 325mA (0.5C)
Maximum Charge Current: 650mA (1C)