Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Omda

I believe the last few posts discuss a couple of places to get a Nitecore D4 if that is what you are after, as well as eBay.

Colin

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pet

I think the last few posts mention a few options for both NiteCore and Olight batteries - just read a last few pages.

Colin

shojus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have used Watsons,  and they also perform quite well...  I just replaced my front camera facing the street and recording in high quality (most used camera of 4), after almost 45 days, so that should tell you that they are fairly good.  But, my initial batteries that came with my 1st camera are at 2 months as of today!  That is great, but also not rechargable either...   I would recommend both Olight and Watson for lower cost options, then Nitecore as the better of the 3, but not by much next to the Olights!  

SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All Again!

I have been searching high and low for a price on the Nitecores to match the deal that Gearbest had! It seems the best I can find from here in the US is around $8. For anyone else holding out for Gearbet, here is the reply to a ticket I submitted to them asking about availability:

Dear Sean,

Thank you for contacting Gearbest .

Unfortunately, we are very sorry to inform you that the item  LY0008101 cannot be sold anymore on our website due to supplier's issues.

Check out our brand new products here: http://www.gearbest.com/new-products/

Grab our best deals here : http://www.gearbest.com/gadget-deals.htm

We sincerely sorry for the inconvenience .

Thanks for your understanding and kind support .

Best Regards
Abia
Gearbest Customer Service
http://www.gearbest.com/

It is killing me that I just missed this deal by a week or two! Like I mentioned earlier I am looking to buy (44) of them so cost is very important to me (like everybody else too I suppose). If anyone has heard differently, please post!

For those who have ordered from Fasttech how hard was it to actually place the order online. I could not order because my cart would not update to bulk pricing ($6.07 for 5+). Also when i was trying to enter my shipping info it would not accept it!

i still have time with my included primary cells, but I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who has had any recent luck with better pricing (bulk, promo codes etc...).

Thanx, Sean

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sean

I managed to place an order at FastTech easily enough (I ordered 20 TrustFire batteries with bulk pricing, which don't fit anyway - I was a little too hasty in ordering them, and a Nitecore D4 charger) - it was receiving the goods that was the problem. I think they use Swedish Post (strange for a company based in China), and I get the impression that they may send it to a sorting centre in Sweden (perhaps via Chile, Antartica, Outer Mongolia, the Moon perhaps), and only then send it on to your address.

It is about 7-10 days of sailing time between China and Australia, so if they had put the package on a ship, I would have still received it weeks faster than the so-called airfreight they used.

I was still waiting after 7 weeks, and placed orders with other stores (one of them being Gearbest), and those items arrived weeks before the FastTech items. Some people seem to get lucky, but many, many people either wait for many weeks/months or never receive from FastTech, so buyer beware. Perhaps in your case, the potential savings might outweigh the hassle, but I would never buy from them again.

It is interesting that Gearbest still sells the Nitecore 18650 batteries, but maybe they are just running their stocks down ?

Colin

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

SVSR54X4 wrote:

For those who have ordered from Fasttech how hard was it to actually place the order online. I could not order because my cart would not update to bulk pricing ($6.07 for 5+). Also when i was trying to enter my shipping info it would not accept it!

i still have time with my included primary cells, but I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who has had any recent luck with better pricing (bulk, promo codes etc...).

I ordered my batch of 24 Authentic Nitecore NL166 RCR123A 650mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery from Fasttech in January and had no problems with a timely delivery. I live in the US. It took somewhere around 10 days, maybe two weeks max.

I do recall an oddity about the tracking number. They actually posted a picture of my package in my Orders section on the Fasttech web site shortly after I placed the order. The tracking number appeared to be a United States Postal Service (USPS) one, but it did not yield any sensible results on the USPS web site for days. I suspect they create the label while the package is still in China, then ship the package to the US with another carrier and then dispatch it as a domestic package via USPS. Only then does it become trackable.

When placing a bulk order note that the single item price still shows the original price ($6.68) when viewing the cart, but the total amount does reflect the bulk discount ($6.07).

Perhaps just order a test batch of four batteries and if that works for you place your bulk order. And make sure you create an account with them.

EricPR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I tried buying the batteries you recomended (Olight and nitecore) from amazon and from battery junction but they dont shipped them to Puerto Rico.  The ones that are shipped are Edison Bright brand.  I did not find anything in this post about this brand.  If someone can help me, I will be very thankfull.  The batteries are: EdisonBright EBR65 type 16340 RCR123A 

SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Again,

Thank you kind folks for your replies and words of wisdom! I am still wanting to try and get this order placed with Fasttech.com. I was wrong about the bulk pricing, the total IS reflecting $6.07 each. Specifically the main issue I am having is entering my shipping information. I am logged in to my account and my home address shows up, and there is a green check-mark to the right showing it as selected. When I click continue at the bottom of the page the check-mark is replaced by a Ship Here button. When I click that the check-mark reappears, and when I click that, Ship Here again. I have tried with Firefox and IE 11, have not tried Chrome, and I am on a Win 7 laptop. I cannot get to Step Three, Place Order!

Anyone want to have some fun and pretend to place an order and see what YOU get? I plan to use PayPal, I read on their site there are no buyer fees for items purchased in the US, but it was unclear about purchasing from China. I need to call them and check on that.

Also, how are Kudos given out? I really appreciate the warm welcome and advice, and would like to bring something to say Thanks!

Sean

SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

Figured out the Kudos!  ; )

Sean

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

SVSR54X4 wrote:
Specifically the main issue I am having is entering my shipping information. I am logged in to my account and my home address shows up, and there is a green check-mark to the right showing it as selected. When I click continue at the bottom of the page the check-mark is replaced by a Ship Here button. When I click that the check-mark reappears, and when I click that, Ship Here again. I have tried with Firefox and IE 11, have not tried Chrome, and I am on a Win 7 laptop. I cannot get to Step Three, Place Order!

I am getting the same behavior. Something is wrong with their checkout page.

I'd contact their customer service.

SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

I am getting the same behavior. Something is wrong with their checkout page.

I'd contact their customer service.

I  was able to get to the checkout page by using Chrome browser! Thank you Schorschi for giving it a go for me! I also submitted a support ticket to them asking for a further 15% discount. They had a Chinese Labor Day sale back on May 1st that had 15% off site-wide that I missed because I could not place the order. If they can offer me that deal it would get my price down to $5.16 each! I will wait for their reply and have my fingers crossed!

By the way which browser were you using when you tried? I usually use IE 11 as my main browser but there are a few sites I frequent that no longer support it. In those cases I have always been able to have success with Firefox. This is the first time I have seen where only Chrome seems to work.

On a side note, I was finally able to get my Netgear R7000 router working as a base-station for five of my cameras. I am curious to see how the range and signal strength compares to the Arlo base.

Thanks again for the help!

Sean 

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

SVSR54X4 wrote:

By the way which browser were you using when you tried? I usually use IE 11 as my main browser but there are a few sites I frequent that no longer support it. In those cases I have always been able to have success with Firefox. This is the first time I have seen where only Chrome seems to work.

I have to admit that I'm still on Windows XP and Chrome is no longer being updated any more on XP since a few days/weeks? ago. It's now stuck at Version 49.0.2623.112 m for me, while the most recently available Chrome version is at 50-something.

Firefox still appears to be updated though (46.0.1), but for me the Fasttech checkout page behaved the same as in Chrome.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Actually posted this on another topic but I believe this should be posted here as well.  Please see below.

Reporting in, as of today, the SolarForce batteries, which are used on a low use camera and replaced the TangsFire I had due to no safety features, are at 72 days with 37% juice left.

I recommend these, as my TangsFire which I don't use anymore, on average last around 50 days, used on the same camera which the SolarForce batteries are now on duty.

I believe the TangsFire could last more than 50 days but without any safety built in, I never pushed it as it may have damaged the batteries which would render the batteries useless.

The TangsFire would be removed once I received the 15% left notice.

I will report back once the SolarForce are completely drained.  Again this is on my low use camera and not being used at spec.

-Robert
SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All,

I thought I would share some "news you can use" with the community!

First off. Lightjunction.com is currently having a 25% off site-wide sale! They are out of stock on Nitecores and Olights but they do have the Eagletacs. Price is reduced from $5.49 each, down to $4.11. The sale is thru June 10th using coupon code "Memorial", (God Bless, Freedom Is NOT Free!).

Second. Fry's Electronics currently has the 5 camera system on sale for $529.99 with a "promo code". This deal is in-store only, but you can order online and pickup. Also they have another in-store promotion going where they pay the sales tax on Arlo systems! This sale runs until June 11th but is "while supplies last, no rainchecks".

As for me, I bought (72) of the Eagletacs, and I will be at Fry's tomorrow to get a price adjustment! I bought (2) of the 5-packs three weeks ago @ $549 (a great deal!) but they have a 30 day price guarantee.

Get 'em while their HOT!

Peace, Sean

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up.  I just found an even better deal by stacking another 10% off.  Buying the 4 battery bundle which is 10% off and then applying the memorial coupon.

I was able to get 16 EagleTec RCR123a batteries and Nitecore I4 charger for only $71 shipped!  Net, it comes out to $3.70 per battery!!!  Sweet.

Thanks again for the heads up on the 25% off deal.  Much appreciated.

Here is the link for the bundle price:

http://lightjunction.com/batterysuperbox/rcr123a-16340-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-bundle.html

arloincasa
Aspirant
Aspirant

How are your recharable batteries doing so far? If good, can you share your battery model?

I am looking at 3.7V CR123A 16340 2300mAh Purple GTL Rechargeable Battery Cell ,  and trying to get charger that can fit in 4 batteries at once if possible

Thank you

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Don't waste your time... Get the eagletec with deal just posted... Trust me, no rcr123a can fit 2300mah...
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Another reason why not to buy garbage batteries like the unprotected GLTs... Read this thread...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Please-read-re-rechargeables-possible-fire-cond...
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I ordered the Nitecore I4 charger... Will that still work with Eagletec... Or should I ha e bought the D4? Both have great reviews, outside of the digital screen on the d4. I just want to be sure I4 will charge my eagletec without issues.
arloincasa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I agree, I didnt realize that this tread has 40 pages! just read most of pages and order eagletack that are on the sale.

Thank you all for doing testing on batteries and sharing your knowledge.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

Hello all,

Started as a simple discussion on cr123 batteries on this forum, it has now blossomed into one of the largest threads in the Arlo community. Thank you everyone for contributing. Thank you for the countless post and replies. Thank you to anyone who has ever been brave to buy a new set of batteries just to test them out and tell us all how they perform. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If anyone knows how to, it would be nice to put together a list of batteries with stats, maybe some links, and have me post it to the first page of this thread. Email to coltsbro84@gmail.com if you find a way and i can add it to the original first post of this thread. Having a guide to buying batteries on the first page would be nice, and everyone would appreciate it, but I can't edit that first post as far as I know.

Onto battery discussion, I still love my nitecores. When I bought them, they were about $10 each. Glad to see the prices come down after a year of owning this camera. Thank you for whoever posted the 25% off sale at lightjunction.com. Was able to order 16 Eagle Tac that normally would cost around $6 each and after the discount came to around $4 each. So big thanks for posting that. Can't wait to try them out! I've heard a lot of great things about them here in this thread. Would have liked to try the Olight brand, but maybe next time.

c0mm0
Guide
Guide

Thanks just scored 16 Eagletac protected 123A's with Nitcore d4 charger with 12v autoadapter for $84 shipped using coupon "memorial"

http://lightjunction.com/en/nitecore-d4-digi-charger-bundle.html

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Coltsbro84 wrote: snipped

If anyone knows how to, it would be nice to put together a list of batteries with stats, maybe some links,

Onto battery discussion, I still love my nitecores. When I bought them, they were about $10 each. Glad to see the prices come down after a year of owning this camera.

Would have liked to try the Olight brand, but maybe next time.

OK @Coltsbro84 here's a nut shell of data

Previous thread done before...now we know to stay away basicly any china battery thats ends with "fire" and GTLs

Good data starts on page 2.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

1) The 3.7v rechargeables have been OK'ed by Netgear as good to go and actually seem to work better than the 3.0v rechargeable ( actual battery gauge optimized for the 3.7 and OEM cells back in late 2015 )

2) The 3.0v  LiFEPO4 cells seem NOT to work well and from reports go down after a few days of use

Recommending at this point for a rechargeable;

Highest rated mahr rechargeable from a 'KNOWN' manufacturer ( china cells are vastly over rated ) in a 3.7v Li-Ion format of the ones tested that fit ( some don't ) Manf's variance in size means some 16340 cells just don't fit so buy one set first if unsure.

Best batteries at this time seem to be ; in no order; ( may have missed one but these are all I have data on )

Nitecore

Olights

Eagletec

Charger that seems to be rated high is the Nightcore D4 ( does 4 cells ) but any good brand will prob work as well...just a good priced unit

PS .. new one being tested but no data yet ; SolarForce

PPS ..Spec use time is MUCH different from heavy usage with rechargeables.... Very heavy use the rechargables shine, low usage at or below spec, the OEM last longer

PPPS.. Most days at spec use by me for rechargeables was 70 days , varied of the above listed cells by only <5 days so no brand given.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just got my order tracking. Eagletec and charger are arriving tomorrow. Thanks lightjunction.
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

We strongly recommend using one of the following types of batteries:

• The non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras
  • Tenergy Li-Ion RCR123A 3.7V 650mAh rechargeable batteries specifically marked “Works with Arlo”
  • Non-rechargeable batteries from other high quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®

NEVER try to recharge the C123A batteries that came with your Arlo camera as they are non-rechargeable.

Thank you for sharing! 

ChristineT

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.