Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
Longrd66
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input. I am going to wait for a bit and  see if GearBest gets more Nitecore batteries in stock before I move forward. If I do decide to get the Fenix batteries, I would like to conduct a test as you have. How have you been measuring the battery power in the excel file you post? That looks like a great format, but I dont want to pull down my cameras daily to get a power read.

John

billbradley70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Worst decision I made was buying these cameras. I spend more time worrying about the batteries draining than anything since we got them. I have tried several brands, and all drain rather quickly. Good concept, Netgear, but very poor execution. I would recommend Netgear coming up with some kind of proprietary rechargeable system for these cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Longrd66 wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input. I am going to wait for a bit and  see if GearBest gets more Nitecore batteries in stock before I move forward. If I do decide to get the Fenix batteries, I would like to conduct a test as you have. How have you been measuring the battery power in the excel file you post? That looks like a great format, but I dont want to pull down my cameras daily to get a power read.

John

In the start, there were only about 4 people using rechargeables for Arlo cams... 

So yes, it was a pain to pull the cells everyday to test voltages... but IMO, an effort well worth it.

Another way I tested later was putting in small 30g wires to the terminals, this allowed me to test the voltages without pulling the batteries.

Prob no real need to repeat it at this time.... the data was repeated by a few and the big thing is how long the batteries run ; be it in spec mode or heavy record time.

Just keep track of the amount of time usage and you'll have a good idea between different brands.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I certainly had concerns about batteries before I bought my Arlos.  But everything depends on your use.  I've noted that the people who post here are very concientious users, meaning they really look at details.  I get about 4-5 months with my batteries.  Since I don't record much (the cameras are indoors, set to record motion and send alerts) I get good life out of a set of standard lithium or rechargeables.  I stopped worrying about battery life because I know "about" when I need to replace or recharge.  Rechargeables are good because I can simply recharge them at any time prior to being away for an extended period.  

So, bottom line, as long as you know your usage patterns, battery life becomes a non issue.  

Pythons09
Aspirant
Aspirant
1 month useage and two front cameras dead already.
$40 per camera and I can see these cameras being very expensive.
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why so much ? Single use batteries should not be $10 each, and even good rechargeables are a lot less than $10 each.

My Nitecores RCR123A batteries cost $5 each ($20 per camera) and will be used (hopefully) for years. Nitecore charge costs around $35 (for D4), so if you have even only 2 cameras, it is an up front cost of about $75 (less than you just paid for 2 cameras), and should last for at least a couple of years. I don't think that is expensive at all.

Colin

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
Are you saying that your battery's are $5 per battery? Amazon sells 123s at $1.15 per battery. If you use rechargeables the cost goes down significantly even for high traffic areas. I also use SWANN and the cost is negligible but if the power goes off I lose that view and the SWANNs are not as mobile as the Arlos.
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

ctrack

Not sure if you are replying to me or python ? My Nitecore rechargeables were $5 / battery, yes. I have not bouight more single use batteries.

I think python was saying that it is cost him $40 (or $10/battery, not $5) for each camera, which seems VERY high, especially if for single use batteries.

Colin

Quickclip
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of the rechargable battery info is at least a year old---does anyone have more recent experience, or updates?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Quickclip wrote:

All of the rechargable battery info is at least a year old---does anyone have more recent experience, or updates?

Battery technology hasn't changed that much in a year. Heck it hasn't changed much in a decade.

I got 24 Nitecores in January from Fasttech.com for US$6.07 a pop and a Nitecore D4 charger from Amazon. Am very happy with my set up

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1

The last 14 pages of this thread are from 2016, so it is fairly current. That is about the time it takes for FastTech to deliver anything Smiley Very Happy

I also have NiteCore RCR123A rechargeables (from Gearbest at just under $5 each) and a NiteCore D4. Still on the first charge, so no info yet (still showing 3 bars after nearly 3 weeks).

Colin

guy83
Aspirant
Aspirant

Used this for the arlo from black tactical, last very long compared to the cheap one

http://black-tactical.com/store/electronic-gadgets-batteries-chargers-c-99_9/rechargeable-16340-rcr1...

Disposible Panasonic CR123A also price very reasonable, made in Japan, not made in indonesia as seen sold elsewhere.

http://black-tactical.com/store/electronic-gadgets-batteries-chargers-c-99_9/panasonic-cr123-lithium...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Used this for the arlo from black tactical, last very long compared to the cheap one

Have no doubt it works, but they're still stretching the truth a bit... with the 1000mahr rating.

No matter how you sell it,  you physically can't fit enough chemistry in that size package to do it.  750 is about the max.

PS... it does not mention a PCB to prevent over charge/ drain so be careful

Morse is faster than texting!
SVSR54X4
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All,

I have ten cameras and the info on this forum has been very helpful! I put in a support ticket with GearBest and they replied they are having problems with their supplier for the Nitecores and they are no longer available. I have had nothing but problems with the Fastech website and have not even been able to place an order.

I am wanting to purchase (44) of the Nitecores to go with my D4 charger I got from eBay, but obviously don't want to pay $8 a piece. Not sure what to do, any suggestions?

Sean

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you are wise to avoid FastTech. I had nothing but problems with them, and eventually after waiting for my order for over 7 weeks, reordered the batteries and D4 charger from different suppliers. Their customer service was apalling - basically just said wait some more, and eventually agreed to ask their shipping supplier to investigate, which could take 2-3 months longer. I got a refund from PayPal.

If I hadn't managed to get my Nitecore batteries from Gearbest, my fall-back was going to be Olight protected batteries (about $5 each), which seem to be fairly decent. It probably depends on where you are because there seems to be quite a few suppliers in the US, but they don't post internationally, so for me living in Australia, I was limited to a couple of Chinese shops (who seem to flout the lithium shipping laws by not declaring them), or eBay because there was precious little in Australia (and the suppliers that did have something were over-priced).

Just be cautious of the length - research it well if you are going for a battery that is not reported to fit (in this thread) because many of the protected batteries are too long to fit. I would suggest that around 35mm (true length - I have seen different dimensions on different websites for some brands) is about as long as you want to go.

I would suggest waiting a bit longer for Gearbest because you want so many (so the potential savings are considerable), unless your cameras are very heavy use. The single use batteries should last a few months, so you have time. I replaced my single use with Nitecores (because I wanted to test them before going away for a month) after about 2 months, and the record times varied from 130 minutes to 180 minutes, and all still showed 3 bars. They are supposed to last around 6 months at 4 minutes per day I think, so you should get around 700 minutes from them.

Colin

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
I recommend trying BatteryJunction.com. They list Nitecore Batteries for $8. Free shipping over $50 which is difficult with these batteries. I have purchased Olights batteries from them and they were priced right and shipping has been great. Just a suggestion. BTW Olights are protected and have great battery life for a rechargeable.
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
Sorry, I meant it isn't difficult to rack up $50 when buying nitecores!
alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just ordered 16 Olights on ebay for $72.00 + $3.00 shipping . I'm glad to hear you've had some success with them .

If anyone is interested I'm running my 4 cam setup on solar with 12 volt batteries . I used a dc voltage buck (5amp) just in case because the batteries go to 13.8 volts sometimes when the solar's cookin . I also tested the distance the cameras will transmit , I got to ~ 400 ft. before the picture started to degrade on my phone . That's with the base in a FRP 45' van and an open field between it and the camera . I was impressed .

Just trying to give back a bit .

Barry

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

That's a good price for Olights.  I also use a 4 camera system and the Olights so far have been the longest lasting of my rechargeables. I've been using a wifi access point to move my base station away from the server, it gives me better range on my cameras since I can move the base station away from the server and closer to my cameras.  

Omda
Initiate
Initiate
Where I can find the battery charger
phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Anyone use Watson 3.7v rechargeable batteries with arlo? B&h has them for only $4 each. Was wondering if they are decent enough to use with Arlo?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=761844&gclid=CjwKEAjwsMu5BRD7t57R1P2HwBgSJABr...
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

The battery doesn't say it has overcharge/discharge protection.  I believe most of us are moving to batteries with overcharge/discharge protection.  Just a consideration for for you, yes they cost a bit more but peace of mind is good.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
What is the better alternative in terms of batteries, and reliable place to buy with good return policy in case the batteries turn out to be defective, etc.?
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am hoping in the close to $4 to $6 dollar range with shipping included.