Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

And also, when it comes to TangsFire vs. NiteCore battery, which one is the best when it comes to holding the charge etc?

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think that most (all ?) lithium batteries will hold their charge pretty well.

As far as I know, the Tangsfire are not protected, and it is probably advisable to get a protected battery to avoid having the "typical" lithium battery issues with over-discharging etc.

I think the things to watch out for are;

1. Reputable capacity (ie. not over-stated mAh)

2. Protected.

3. Not too long (especially common with protected batteries)

The link for the Notecores at Gearbest is;

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_55742.html

There is a couple of other threads in this forum that discuss Arlo batteries in some detail, but I think I would be chosing between Nitecore, Olight (protected) or EagleTac, with the first two being the most freely available (at least outside of the US).

Colin

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the Nitecore battery (650mah) show full battery bar on the camera? or will it only show two bars?

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

No clue - I will tell you when I get a charger 🙂

My guess is possibly only 2 bars ? I am not sure any of the rechargeables show 3 bars because most are around the 600-700 "true" mAh, compared with a single use battery at closer to 1500mAh.

Colin

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know, thanks 🙂

Will the Nitecore battery (650mah) really get me 650mah? or will it me more likley to give me 300mah after i charge it with the Nitecore D4 charger

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Google them. There is a website that has done extensive tessting on various batteries (I don't have the link easily available), and I think the Nitecores tested up at closer to 680mAh.

Colin

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have a good site to order the  Nitecore battery (650mah) from? Ebay is a bit expensive, specielly with the shipping to Sweden (20+  US dollars). I checked the http://www.gearbest.com/ site but they seem to only have 1x battery in stock 😕

Amazon.com does not ship to Sweden

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I ordered 24 NiteCores a couple of months ago from Fasttech for US$6.07 a piece (volume discount and free shipping). Took about 10-14 days to get to the US.
phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to be completly sure before placing a order.

This is the correct battery that will work with Arlo cameras right? https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001848/1134001-authentic-nitecore-nl166-rcr123a-650mah-3-7v

The last thing i want is the cameras to melt or explode due to high voltage or some other reason 🙂

Im gong to use it with the Nitecore D4 charger.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Yup. Those are the ones. I use the NiteCore D4 charger with them too.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

phattrance wrote:

Will the Nitecore battery (650mah) show full battery bar on the camera? or will it only show two bars?

Yes they will... show FULL

Remember that the OEM cells are only 3.2 v when new.  Rechargeable ( you should be using the 3.7v cells ) will charge to 4.2v off charge and settle a bit lower after a few hours...4.18- 4.19 +/-. 

( people in the past have tried 3.0v rechargeable and those didn't work well , esp the lifepo cells...... that plus the battery algorithm  was optimized back early/mid 2015 for OEM and 3.7v cells )

As to the ratings of cell...most of the "quality"  cells are pretty close to true tho some still stretch the truth... In the normal size of the 123 cell, you can not physically get more than about 700 mahr of chemistry stuffed in the package. China cells are all a " stay away from " cell as they claim 2000mahr or so.

Any cell at 800 or better I would really want to test.

There are allowable variences in the size of 123 cells and that accounts for the +/- of the mahr ratings. 

Some of the longer 123 cells just don't fit well , so be carefull.. the 3-4 top rated cells mentioned that fit are prob as good as it gets AND you'll know they fit.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thx Guys,

i will order 12x Nitecore 650mah batteries and the D4 chargers.  Just bought the  Arlo with 3 cameras. Let the unboxing begin 😉

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

phattrance wrote:

i will order 12x Nitecore 650mah batteries and the D4 chargers.  Just bought the  Arlo with 3 cameras. Let the unboxing begin 😉

You already ordered the rechargables before even testing the system? Wow, you're trusting.

What if you don't like it? I'd imagine it be more of a hassle to return the rechargable batteries that come from China than returning your Arlo system to your local dealer.

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

hehe, so far im really impressed so im gonna keep it 😉

I really love the design of the Arlo, probable the best looking camera out there!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What if you don't like it? I'd imagine it be more of a hassle to return the rechargable batteries that come from China than returning your Arlo system to your local dealer.

those are a common size for small flashlights...  But the Nitecores work just fine.

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tested the Arlo for a day now and i must say that i like it alot!  Now the waiting games begins for the Nitecore RCR123a batteries and the D4 charger!!

I have a hunch that i will kill the standard batteries within a week haha

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just replaced the Nitecores, my first with this rechargeable and with my use, I was able to get 62 days.

So far, I can say I like the following rechargeables, in no particular order.

• EagleTac
  • Olight
  • Nitecore
-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

Just replaced the Nitecores, my first with this rechargeable and with my use, I was able to get 62 days.

So far, I can say I like the following rechargeables, in no particular order.

• EagleTac
  • Olight
  • Nitecore

That's about the max I got with all my prior testing.... good for you. ( to the low end of china cells at 30 days )

You'll find the run a while after hitting 2 bars and when it hits one...better change quick due tothe fast drop out

I changed most of mine at the 45 day mark so I never had to worry about being away/out.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also trying for the first time another protected battery, SolarForce 880.  Been running for 22 days so far with my use.  Still at full bars.  They fit nicely in our Arlo's.

I'll report back on how these hold up.

-Robert
phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why not just wait with changing the battery until you'll get low battery email (15%)from the arlo l?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

phattrance wrote:

Why not just wait with changing the battery until you'll get low battery email (15%)from the arlo l?

If you mean why change at 45 days, its for a safety factor... Sometimes you travel or go away for a few days and don't want to change out batteries at the last mins, also by the time you get the email, you have a VERY short time to change them as they drop volatge quickly at the end of life.

Esp with the cells I was testing running and lasting and avg of 50-60 days in normal use

stuart0870
Aspirant
Aspirant

For reference, not sure if its been mentioned, but DON'T get Foxnova 650mAh 26340 batteries, whilst they claim they're CR123 compatible, they're about 2mm too long meaning you can't close the base, without removing the plastic label and jamming the battery cover closed, leaving a non-flush closure, which I've had to cling film around to prevent water getting in.

Only reason I'm using them, is I bought 16 of the buggers and they'll last until I get my two new Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 wired cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First I think you mean 16340's ( not 26340s )

But yes to your statement... normal lenght is aprox 34 mm  but variences allowable can let it go to 37mm.

Most protected cells are 1mm or two longer than stock size and prob accounts for the variance in rechargeables ( primary cells do not have pcb )

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has anyone tried these ?  

eBay item number:

I just picked up a 4 pac of Arlos. I connected and paired them at home for testing but they're intended for my playpen which is remote and off grid , but with DSL running on a small solar setup . Is there a certain way to disconnect the system and reconnect it to another router ?

Thanks ,

Alg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

"These batteries are properly spec'd to be in the: 2500 mAh range in capacity AND in the proper operating voltage for the Arlo Cameras. "

SAVE YOUR MONEY !

First, there is NO 123 rechargeable cell that will have more than about 700 mahr capacity ...You just can't phyiscally fit enough chemistry in that size package.

They are the typical china over rated cells that usu come in at about 500mahr .

Second, these cells don' appear to have a PCB ( prevent over charge/over drain ) which can cause a fire.

(we had one cameras batteries like these short out and melted an Arlo in the beginning )

Third the chargers ( I have 2 ) are cheap and reall don't have good recharge control like the better units.

Last but not least , Netgear has nothing to do with these products