Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rechargeable Batteries

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Yoandme
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am currently using Eastshine 16340 3.7V, 7000mAh rechargeable batteries with a Nitecore D4 charger.  When I charge the batteries until fully charged according to the Nitecore and then insert them in the Arlo camera, the Arlo only shows 50% charge. I have asked the Nitecore people and they say this is normal.

Wondering if other users of rechargeable batteries have the same reading/issue.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No this is not correct...

I use 4 types of 3.7v li-ions 16340 cells and they all show 100% when fully charged...

Also track pretty well till end of charge life when they drop rapidly ( as normal )

The battery algorithm was optimized over a year ago for OEM and 3.7 li-ion cells.

Ps...I think you mean 700maHr cells BTW

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bhm
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • These cameras are great but the battery power thing is an issue . Tried to find rechareable Duracell or energizer 123 batteries cant find them .Anyone know of a good safe rechargeable battery for a plain arlo(non pro) camera on amazon or something. Thanks 
Yoandme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, that is what I thought.  This is what the vendor quoted to me.

"You may misunderstand the battery, Arlo camera is designed based on non-rechargeable 1550MAH battery, our battery is rechargeable 700mah battery, so even our battery is full, but in the Arlo it will show near 50% power. So your battery can last 2 weeks, It is common."

I am not sure what the Arlo camera measures when calculating the charge percentage but I an calling a BS on this and am temped to seek a refund for both the charger and the batteries that I purchased thru Amazon

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CI0HZ02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

If you have any suggestions for different batteries/charging system, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks again for the help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It ois BS. I have several sets of rechargeable batteries and they always show full when first installed. They will last a couple of months under normal usage.
tiznite4real
Aspirant
Aspirant
i have 4 cameras, and 4 sets of Eastshine 700mAh
RCR123A 3.7v 2.59Wh rechargable batteries. i went with the upgraded charger. the batteries work better than great in 3 of the cameras, but in 1 it always says it only has a 7 percent charge. i did the messamger chat with arlo tech support and he said it needed a firmware update, which we did. and that camrra did great until i changed the batteries again, snd its doing it again now. I dont think iTS NOT THE BATTERIES BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING SHUFFLED FROM CAMERA TO CAMERA. AND THE OTHER 3 CONSISTENTLY WorK GREAT. i dont know if that helps but that is my experience.
Yoandme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you tell me what charger you are using?  Maybe that's my problem.

Thanks 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many of us here use the Nitecore D4 charger.

Yoandme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well that's crazy, that is the charger I am using.  It says fully charged and the Arlo says 50%.

BTW - the "fully charged" (per the D4) batteries I installed 16 days ago that read 49% in the Arlo are now down to 17% and faiding fast.  A second camera started at 48% on Nov 21st is now down to 16%.

?????

tomliver57
Tutor
Tutor
I put a camera out side today. The battery was on 95 persent. Only after 4 hours the battery was on 23 present.
Mectec
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tryed many types of rechargeable batteries and the same thing happens i found charging them and then charging them again (twice) it helps them last longer 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yoandme wrote:

Well that's crazy, that is the charger I am using.  It says fully charged and the Arlo says 50%.

BTW - the "fully charged" (per the D4) batteries I installed 16 days ago that read 49% in the Arlo are now down to 17% and faiding fast.  A second camera started at 48% on Nov 21st is now down to 16%.

Any chance you're either not installing all batteries correctly or some aren't making contact in the camera?  The batteries are actually wired in series-parallel so will work with either the front or back two and will switch between the sets of two to maximize life.  If one set isn't being used somehow, perhaps that would cause your indication.  Or not.

Yoandme
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's interesting.  If the camera switches/uses two batteries only that might account for the charge level if only two were registering.  And it could perhaps account for the fast discharge rate if it was not switching to the second set.

I will look into that a little further although the fact that I have switched batteries around more than once in two different cameras makes me think it might be in the "Or not"  catagory.

Thanks for the suggestion