Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

So I brought the Edison batteries and was told to buy the Eagle batteries because last longer -- well I brought those batteries and they do not last any longer than the Edison batteries.  This is for an outside battery but I don't have a lot of traffic and my basement I hardly use and that is dwindling - is there a battery that does better.  I am spending too much money on these batteries.

Vallorie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Could fall into one of two causes.

There is something wron with your cam and a reboot will accomplish nothing.  Then time to contact technical support.

Devices sometimes have a hickup or trip to the twilight zone and a reboot or two may clear it and return things to normal. This isn't unique to Netgear.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Low usage cameras do better with OEM non-rechargeable batteries. Rechargeable have their use primarily for higher usage cameras to reduce overall cost.
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

So now they are saying Low usage cameras do better with OEM non-rechargeable batteries.  When everyone wanted to know why batteries were not lasting with OEM batteries and to keep from spending so much money we should go to rechargeable batteries.  This does not make sense.  Those OEM batteries did not last AT ALL!  Nothing works 4 mos as they stated when I brought my cameras last April.  Some of my cameras hardly get used and 2 not low usage but medium.  NO BATTERIES LAST 4 MONTHS AS ADVERTISED!  And I don't use mine on the weekends and only 6am to 6 pm during the week.

Vallorie

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

Nothing works 4 mos as they stated when I brought my cameras last April.  Some of my cameras hardly get used and 2 not low usage but medium.  NO BATTERIES LAST 4 MONTHS AS ADVERTISED!  And I don't use mine on the weekends and only 6am to 6 pm during the week.

Sorry to upset you , but recently I just changed out OEM batteries ( non - rechargables ) at the 10 month mark.....

Yes they are very low use cameras as usage is < a couple mins per week.

As to normal SPEC usage, I constantly get just about 4 months on Best quailty video settings... If I put it at Optimized ( which is spec ) , I have no doubt it would make 4+ months.

But in testing, by more than one user , it has been proven that OEM cells work better in spec or less than spec usage.... In a heavy usage, the rechargeables will out record evety time in number of mins every time.

Mine that you have to change out the rechargables more often... here about every 40-60 days depending on usage..as their capacity is lower.

Rechargeables are a cost effective method as you can charge them a few hundred times vs the throw aways.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
manfredz
Hero
Hero

if you're going to go with rechargeable batteries, be aware that many won't work with the Arlo.  On the Arlo accessories is a link to the Tenergy they say will work (although you can buy them from many sources

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

that  makes no sense using rechargeable batteries not lasting longer with low usage - if cameras are not being used a lot how can this be -- how can OEM batteries be a better option.  So all of us went out and brought Eagles only to be told they will not last

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

folks have given about 5 rechargeable batteries that will work and this is why I brought the Eagles batteries which do not last either. 

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

do not see accessories link?

Vallorie

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vallorie,

Take a look at the following link for the NETGEAR recommended rechargeable batteries:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx?cid=amb

JamesC

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Well I brought the recommended batteries and still have to recharge every 6 weeks.  What happened to the lie that batteries last 4 months which was the only reason I brought it.  Also now these cameras are not picking up - someone put a package in my front door - opened the door and placed package -- camera never picked it up -- it use to pick up traffic going up/down my street now only getting one hit a day - I have not changed setting or anything

manfredz
Hero
Hero

How long batteries, rechargeable, or non, depends on how many recordings you average a day, how long the recordings are, how good the quality is set for and how many/how long live viewings are made.

poor internet or cam at fring of wifi will also influence as cam tries to maintain connection to base station.

As to why didn't record, try walking in front of cam in different directions/lengths and see what is and what isnt recorded.

A reboot of base station and cam may also help

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

the problem is I am not getting any recordings anymore -- this just started and I have not done anything different and I have great connection -- why would it suddenly just stop recording - the cameras are placed in perfect positions and the main one outside my front door in a great position that use to capture everything is not doing it any longer - I will try and reboot but don't understand how that can help -- need to refresh how to reboot -- I will not recommend this system to anyone -- just way too many issues

Vallorie

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Could fall into one of two causes.

There is something wron with your cam and a reboot will accomplish nothing.  Then time to contact technical support.

Devices sometimes have a hickup or trip to the twilight zone and a reboot or two may clear it and return things to normal. This isn't unique to Netgear.