Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Laserdude
Star
Star

Recently I have been getting notifications delayed by about 2 minutes. . I used to get notifications within a few seconds of a camera detecting motion.. My wife's phone gets the notifications almost instantly but not my phone. How do I fix this?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you removed the app on your phone and re-installed and/or rebooted you phone ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Laserdude
Star
Star

I removed the app and reinstalled it and it made no difference.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Laserdude,

What are the internet speeds from your ISP? What are the signal bars displaying in the app or web?

Laserdude
Star
Star

Thanks ShayneS,

I have covered this over and over with the tech people and there has been no improvement.  I was hoping for someone on the forum to have a real answer.  My internet speed is not the problem.  I just had a trigger on one of my cameras a little while ago and it took ten minutes to get a notification.  About ten minutes after getting the notification the same camera was triggered again and the notification came in about fifteen seconds, as it should.  I have tested my internet speed several  times a day over the last few days as that was one of the questions the techs have asked.  I also tested it right after I got the ten minute late notification tonight and again when I got the prompt notification shortly after.  Both times the speed was running around 13 mbps down and 3 up.  That's pretty normal for my wifi.  Also there was nothing being streamed in to other devices when the notifications occurred.  I have a MOTO6 on Verizon and I have wondered if it could be a setting in my phone but everything else is working correctly on it.   

Since I see you are a Netgear employee I have to tell you that up until about a month ago my Arlo system has been awesome and I have touted it to friends.  Today I would not recommend it to anyone.  In fact I would strong tell anyone to NOT buy Arlo.

Starting about a month ago here are two more problems  I am experiencing. I know a firmware update was done on 8/16 and I have to figure that is the major problem.
   1.  Geofencing had work great for me and my wife for a year or so after I set it up.  It stopped working.  I'm told that the system will not detect other devices that have names with special characters.  Both my wife's and my phone have special characters in the names and they work for a very long time but not now????  I was told I have to rename my phone.  I'm not going to do that as I would have to re-pair it with other devices
   2.  I switched to schedule and I had intermittent problems with motion detection. When I called in I was told to redo my schedule which I had already done.  Then I was told to redo my schedule with one minute gaps between the modes.  Then I was told to re-sync a camera.  Then I was told to - - - and on and 0n.  With this getting nowhere on my third or fourth call I asked for a supervisor.  After pushing and then going on hold for a long wait I was told no supervisor was available but one would call me.  That was over a week ago and no call.  After calling back again and pushing to talk to a supervisor again I finally got through to one.  He told me the problem was the system was experiencing intermittent motion detection outages and had been for days and that it was not my schedule but that was why I was having problems.
   3.  I asked the supervisor I was talking with if there was a way to know if the network was experiencing motion detection problems.  He told me I could check status.arlo.com.  I went on the site to see that it does give the status of a lot of functions but motion detection is not one of them.  Humm.  I wonder does  anyone at tech services really know how to solve a problem?  My experience has been awful.
   4.  I have one camera that is set to record when motion is detected and it also triggers another camera to record video.  Sometimes the second camera records video and sometimes it doesn't.  What's up with this?  This rule worked just fine and never missed until about four weeks ago.  

Thanks for any help 
Laserdude
Star
Star

wifi signal bars are one short of full.  I'm usually parked about twenty feet from my router.  That's where I was when the ten minute delay happened tonight.  The camera that was triggered is only 15 feet from the base station.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Laserdude,

Given the number of issues you seem to be experiencing, I encourage you to continue working with the support team. I have escalated your case and an agent should be reaching out to you soon to further investigate.

JamesC

Nngo2278
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have many issue since the fw upgrade too and wonder it is a bug. No problem whatsoever before the upgrade. Is downgrade to previous fw ver possible?
As for the support, I open a couple tickets few week ago but never heard back from netgear.
JTMAX05
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this post, was it ever resolved? I now work from home and can see the pathway to my front door. Over the holidays I noticed that when items were delivered, it was a solid 1-3 minutes before I was notified.

Nngo2278
Aspirant
Aspirant
The latest fw upgrade solved the intermitant connectivity; but no change to the notification delay.
Laserdude
Star
Star

@JTMAX05 wrote:

Thank you for this post, was it ever resolved? I now work from home and can see the pathway to my front door. Over the holidays I noticed that when items were delivered, it was a solid 1-3 minutes before I was notified.

Yes and No  - the delayed notifications never was solved and talking to support folks proved to be very frustrating and worthless with not only this problem but many others.  I took one of my cameras off my system so I was back to five and cancelled my upgraded service plan and went back to basic.  Doing so got rid of Arlo Smart and now my system works perfectly.  It's very disappointing that nobody every owned up to this.