Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Neil_T
Follower
Follower

Hi,

My base unit is 25 feet away from a camera which is mounted on the outisde of our house wall.  That is a normal brick cavity wall.  There are no other obstructions bwtewwn the base unit and camera.   I get very blocky pictures on all quality settings and sometimes the camera loses connectivity.    With the unit being advertised at "up to 300 feet" I had expected it to work as I've described above?  Can anyone share their experiences of mounting on external walls?    Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As the spec says, Up to 300 ft....

But, Arlo base/cams run on 2.4ghz wifi... and these freqs can be block by normal household items. Ie , brick walls with reinforcement, big mirrors, metal framing in walls , etc.

Line of sight, I've used up to 150-175 feet without problems...but this is a best case scenario where path is obstruction clear and base on second floor.

Best thing I can suggest is to move the camera to another location or move the base closer to the camera. ( or if possible a second base closer to the camera would also solve the problem )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's also possible that a small repositioning of either the base or camera could provide a better WiFi signal if there's something blocking that isn't huge. A few inches might be all that's needed.