Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had my Arlo camera up for about 3 days. Today it rained and I was happy to see that one of the cameras still had a clear picture after the storm. One of the other cameras, however, has a huge blurr in the center of the picture. (See picture). I looked at the camera thinking it was just a rain drop that settled on the lens but even after wiping the camera dry, the blurr remains. I suspect there is a condensation build up inside the camera. Could this be possible? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions to clear the picture? Thanks for your help.  By the way, ignore the wires...that is from my old security system that I am about to trash. image.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

it does look like condensation on the inside...

pull batteries first, asap.  Then to get rid of it, take the camera( with battery door open) and put in a closed container/zip lock bag filled with dry rice ( old cell phone trick )... the rice will absorb the moisture out of the camera.

Replace batterty after a couple days and test

OR contact Netgear to see what they say about it

Along these lines, I recommend always using silicon lube on any o-rings of any outside devices... VERY little needed, used for underwater cameras, pump seals, etc. There is a small seal near/opposite the battery door, IIRR.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

it does look like condensation on the inside...

pull batteries first, asap.  Then to get rid of it, take the camera( with battery door open) and put in a closed container/zip lock bag filled with dry rice ( old cell phone trick )... the rice will absorb the moisture out of the camera.

Replace batterty after a couple days and test

OR contact Netgear to see what they say about it

Along these lines, I recommend always using silicon lube on any o-rings of any outside devices... VERY little needed, used for underwater cameras, pump seals, etc. There is a small seal near/opposite the battery door, IIRR.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

If that's a moisture build up, try silica gel packets or bury the cam in a bowl/bag of uncooked rice to get rid of the moisture for one night and see if it works.. As silly as it sounds, it helped and got rid of my old iphone lens moisture build up.. It's worth a try.. If not, Contact Support here and see if they can replace it for you.. 

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I took the batteries out, shook the camera vigorously, and wiped out the battery compartment with a soft, dry towel. I could not see or feel any moisture in there. The camera is now resting comfortably in a bowl of dry rice and I can see this is helping as we speak. A quick peak at the lens shows the moisture (if that really is what it is) is clearing up already. I will contact support to report the issue just because I don't think this is supposed to happen. I will also be using a dab of silicone to seal the battery compartment once I put it back in service. 

As as a side note, I read in the hints and tips section that tilting the cameras at a slight downward angle is recommended when mounting the cameras outside where they will be exposed to rain and such. Supposedly this helps the rain to run off the cameras more easily and prevent water gaining access to the insides. I have to admit, this particular camera is/was mounted level on a metal pole and not tilted downward. When I return it to action, I will mount it at a slight angle and see if this happens again. 

Thanks again. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

be using a dab of silicone to seal the battery compartment once I put it back in service. 

Just don't use silicone sealant... I meant silicone grease if I wasn't clear

like this; 

http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Silicone-O-ring-Lubricant-grease/dp/B00V25XFBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

be using a dab of silicone to seal the battery compartment once I put it back in service. 

Just don't use silicone sealant... I meant silicone grease if I wasn't clear

like this; 

http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Silicone-O-ring-Lubricant-grease/dp/B00V25XFBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

LOL! Thanks. I was thinking sealant and would probably be coming back here to ask how to pry the battery compartment open. Leave it to a newbie! 

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi! I couldn't find the particular brand of silicone grease you suggested. But I did find this. Will this do the same thing? Thanks.
http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-68926-pool-and-spa-lube-35-oz/68926.htm
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, that would work,  but much much more than you need in amount and cost. ( thats why the cheaper version from amazon ).. you need just a smear on the finger like an amount of chapstik for the lips. Maybe some silicon spray on you finger then wiped on... very little !

I'd prob not use it for that much and just tilt it down.

If you can, any type as long as its 1) non conductive 2) non-petrol based which can damage orings long term

njdg
Tutor
Tutor

Why not just use a small amount of duct tape?  Afterall that was what the Army originally used ducttape for to waterproof.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

njdg wrote:

Why not just use a small amount of duct tape?  Afterall that was what the Army originally used ducttape for to waterproof.  

Because when the o-ring is properly seated, it works fine... why gum up the camera with duc tape since it must be removed now and then for batteries.

njdg
Tutor
Tutor

I was referring to the battery comparament, but thanks for the clarification.  I'll consider it if I run into problems.

Rickydelivers
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey what was your results? Do you still have the system? Is it still getting "foggy"? The banks in advance.