Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push option for two factor authentication not available

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mykeal46
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using VMB3010r2 s/n 4894687UA64FF firmware 1.12.2.5_240_59657e5 on HP2000 laptop running Windows 10. I use Chrome browser on that device to access MyArlo. Received an email from Arlo stating I had to (!) set up two factor authentication before the end of the year (2020?). Followed instructions in email, which were erroneous (I have no Login Settings page under Settings, and the two factor authentication page has no Push option). My problem is that there are no Push or email options - the only method I can select for receiving the message is SMS text, which I cannot receive. So, how do I set up two factor authentication, or do I have to go to some other company's security system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for clarifying your post. If you don't have a phone available, you should be able to receive verification through your email address. When you click on "Try Another Verification Method," do you not see the email address option? Could you show a screenshot of what verification methods you have available?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi mykeal46,

We do have push notification available for the Two-Step Verification. You can do this by going on to the Arlo app on your phone device and going to Settings > Profile > Two-Step Verification and choose "Add Another Method" and tap "Trust This Device" to receive a push notification.

If you are adding more than one device, make sure to choose which device to be the primary to receive push notifications for the Two-Step Verification.

mykeal46
Aspirant
Aspirant

JessicaP - Thanks for the response. Please refer to my original note; I'm not using a phone, so there is no Arlo app involved. Arlo has decided to make two factor verification mandatory. I use a laptop computer (see original post for details) to access my cameras via the my.arlo web site with a web browser. When I attempt to set up two factor verification with that browser on the arlo site I am only provided with one method of receiving the verification message, that being a SMS text message. Since I don't have a phone that receives SMS text messages that means I will no longer be able to use my rather expensive Arlo base station and camera setup once the two factor verification becomes mandatory. Please help me correct this situation.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for clarifying your post. If you don't have a phone available, you should be able to receive verification through your email address. When you click on "Try Another Verification Method," do you not see the email address option? Could you show a screenshot of what verification methods you have available?

mykeal46
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have a phone, but I do have an Android tablet. I downloaded the Arlo app onto the tablet, specified the tablet as a trusted device and received push notifications, which provided successful access to my cameras on both the tablet and the laptop computer, depending on which device I used to log on to the Arlo site. Once that happened I noted the "Try another verification method" option appeared when using the laptop; I specified the email option and was successful in completing the log on. 

I did not use the tablet to download the app and access the Arlo site initially because it is used in many other ways and is often not available when I wish to access Arlo. The key to resolving this problem is to note that, when using a laptop computer and a web browser to access the Arlo system a second device (phone or tablet that can download and use the Arlo app instead of the web site) MUST be used to set up the verification method. It cannot be done using just a laptop/desktop and web browser alone; there is no way to establish a trusted device and specify email as the verification method.

That said, I've successfully set up two step verification and appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Glad to hear you were able to set it up and thanks for sharing that feedback. I'll share this information to the team.