Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Position and sensitivty settings are not resulting in effective motion captures

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
watsontcbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am so frustrated with these cameras. I can't get them to pick up people entering, they only get people as they are leaving - occasionally. I have positioned them out of reach, > 7' overhead - about 8.5' to be exact. The space I have to place them at my house is 8' wide by 60' long bounded on the long sides by two two-story houses - one mine, the other is the neighbor's. The house entry is a 42"x42" alcove, and the camera can only be mounted on my house, not the neighbor's. The current position has the camera pointing sort of toward the gate which is beyond the entry which appears won't work - it gets people as they leave, not as they enter. I have tried test-positioning it mid-point between the gate and the entry, so it catches people walking by. So far it wouldn't detect an elephant walking by at like 65%, sensitivity but when I increase the sensitivity, to just 70% it detects every gnat, bird shadow and flower swaying in the breeze - and even  tiny bugs at night. I can't keep moving the camera to different places - every time I do I have to drill new HOLEs in my new stucco, and can't use double-stick tape to test positions with the magnetic domes - it won't stick. So far, these  things appear to be a complete waste of money for my application. Can anyone provide any helpful suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Start at 70 and turn it down 1 each time you get a false alert within say 30 minutes of the previous one. Don't adjust by 5

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If possible, it may be useful to swap at the store for an Arlo Pro system which has improved motion detection capabilities as well as other upgrades.