Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Picture turns red

John
Guide
Guide
Hello,

Has anyone experienced this issue. On several cameras, at one point, when the night vision turned on, instead of a B/W picture the picture was red. When I took out the batteries and reinserted the problem fixed itself. Now on one of the outdoor cameras the picture is once again red?
326 REPLIES 326
BrianL
Master
Master

Hi lstockda,

I checked that both your base station and cameras are outdated. Kindly update them to the latest and see if the issue will be fixed.

Latest Camera FW: 1.2.2545 
Latest Base Station FW: 1.4.2627 

How can I trigger my Arlo system to update its firmware?

You can configure your base station to automatically update its firmware the next day. If you enable Auto Update FW (found under Settings > Base Station Settings), the base station and camera firmware will automatically update itself between 3am and 5am the next morning.

To trigger your Arlo system to update its firmware the next day:

1. Log in to your Arlo account at https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login.
    2. SelectSettings > Base Station Settings.
    3. Make sure that the Auto Update FW setting is set to the ON position.
    4. As long as Auto-Update FW is ON and there is a base station firmware update available, the base station will update itself the next day between 3am and 5am.
    5. Cameras will also update their firmware on this schedule, if there is a firmware update available and Auto Update FW is ON.

If the issue still persist, it is best to contact our support to further troubleshoot the issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL

Arlo Team

az57chevy
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought a four camera ARLO from best buy on Tuesday and after installing them on Wednesday I apparently have a red screen too 😞

I've removed the batteries twice

Here is the technical stuff

Hardware VMC3030
Serial Number 48B255794A056
Firmware 1.2.2545

1435890096313_thumb.jpg

Let me know how to proceed

Explorers
Aspirant
Aspirant
Haven't tried just opening the door vs. removing then putting the same batteries back in. However, either way this defect is a hassle.

Hopefully a fix is in the works.
Draygen
Tutor
Tutor
Just wondering. I had this issue and was sent a new camera as a resolution. However the first step always seems to be check the firmware version or update the device. Has anyone had success fixing this issue based solely on updating their equipment?
KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello az57chevy,

I work in the Arlo Customer Support department.

I've reached out to you in a personal message to address this problem you're seeing and collect information regarding your system.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
Not applicable

I have red image on one camera all the time, reset camera, still red, firmware has been updated can someone offer advise

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wrote:

I have red image on one camera all the time, reset camera, still red, firmware has been updated can someone offer advise

Open and re close the battery door to reset the camera, if it happens again then contact Netgear for a possible replacement issue.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
rtechgeek
Star
Star
Having same issue
rtechgeek
Star
Star
Having same issue. I reset the camera by opening and closing the camera door and it's still reddish firmware 1.2.2688.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The 'red effect' is not the sw update but a product of the IR filter not operating correctly.

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rtechgeek,

If you're still experiencing issues with this camera after troubleshooting, I encourage you to contact our support team for further assistance.

Regards,

JamesC

rtechgeek
Star
Star
Thanks,
I was including the switch revision only because the net gear rep asked the other guy for the info... I filed a ticket with support, hopefully I'll get a replacement soon
rtechgeek
Star
Star
*software
artpagsolingan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had 5 Arlo cameras set up throughout my house for less than 6 months. The front camera that gets the sunrise at the beginning of the day has recently started to have a red hue. I tried adjusting the brightness but to no avail, the red hue won't go away. Please find attached a screen shot of that camera perspective. Is this camera defective?  The hue doesn't go away unless it's dark and infrared takes over, but once daylight arrives the red hue returns. Please advise on how to correct

rtechgeek
Star
Star
Call up netgear tech support and they will exchange the camera. They'll ask for a screen grab of the red image and a picture of the serial number of the camera (take batteries out). You'll have to pay for shipping to them and they pay the return shipping. Mine failed in a week, I hope they last more than a year (the warranty ends then).
rtechgeek
Star
Star
Netgear has an obvious manufacturing quality problem and they are willing to inconvenience their customers, rather than run proper acceptance testing on their products.
Draygen
Tutor
Tutor
It's a shame but yes they do, among other issues with their motion capture and delayed video. Great concept, poor execution. I returned my to best buy under the extended warranty and they said this unit gets returned a lot.
HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

BobS wrote:

This is a new installation of 5 cameras purchased and installed in the last couple of weeks.

I am experiencing the red image problem continiously in the last few days on one camera only, it seems to work in night vision mode but turns red in daylight - The camera is installed outside.

I brought the camera inside and changed the batteries and it worked correctly, as soon as I  put the camera outside it was red immediately and is staying red.

I did remove the plastic film on the lens as it was clearly packaging material.

regards

Bob

I'm in the same boat. My front porch camera hasn't come out of night vision to a normal image. It's stuck on red. I had one other camera do this yesterday right out of the box but removing the batteries seems to have fixed it so far. I'm heading out to remove the batteries from the front porch camera, but as it's mounted up high this will not be something I'll want to do every day. 😞

IMG_8497.JPG

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HeatherABC,

After performing the troubleshooting steps and you are still experiencing a steady or intermittent red image from your camera, kindly contact our support team for further assistance.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

KristynM wrote:

HeatherABC,

After performing the troubleshooting steps and you are still experiencing a steady or intermittent red image from your camera, kindly contact our support team for further assistance.

Thanks I will. I hope this isn't a common thing because it was a pain to reset it and then having to reposition the camera. I wish there were a way to reset remotely.

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

2nd morning waking up to red image. Email sent to support. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

HeatherABC wrote:

KristynM wrote:

HeatherABC,

Thanks I will. I hope this isn't a common thing because it was a pain to reset it and then having to reposition the camera. I wish there were a way to reset remotely.

In a sense, it can. You could use the pan and zoom feature to fine tune your positioning. It's a workaround at best but...

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am extremely disappointed that the return process is such that I have to send the camera back at my expense and then wait for them to ship me another one. Of course I do have the option to pay Netgear to expedite sending me another one and then I can send the defective one back at a cost of $17-30. This is a 3 DAY old system and I should not be having to pay anything over and above my $500 purchase price to have a working system out of the box. It's easier to just return the entire thing to Best Buy and re-buy it or go with another system. Cat Sad 

Just thought I'd share for others in the same boat out of the box. 

rtechgeek
Star
Star
Yeah, for a tech company with an obvious manufacturing quality problem, you would think they could bear the cost of their incompetence to avoid angering their customers.

I had the same thing, paid for shipping, they sent the replacement unit FedEx ground.. in hindsight I should have sent the lot back to amazon
ReyrCruz
Tutor
Tutor

I don't get this company. All other companies, if their product has a factory issue it's replaced with no extra cost to their customers. I just bought on friday the 7th the 4 camera kit from BestBuy. I installed it Saturday the 8th and by Sunday the 9th one of the cameras turned red. I emailed Netgear and they approved an RMA but I have to pay for shipping it to them. OUTRAGEOUS. How could a company like Netgear not stand behind their products and do the right thing. I rather gather everything and take it back to BestBuy and give my business to someone else.