Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

paintguy
Star
Star
Is anyone else having a problem with the delay in long it takes motion to detect and the start of recording? I have found that outside the delay is too much to see anyone who is approaching my house. I have looked at videos and the recording shows the very end of someone in my family opening my door if at all. I have played around with the sensitivity also to get it to record earlier. This and the battery issue are the biggest problems so far. Does anyone have ideas how they got theirs to not have so much of a delay?

Thanks
218 REPLIES 218
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wonghome,

Take a look at this article for tips on how to optimize motion detection: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

FortyCaliber
Tutor
Tutor

I set my camera up and there is no network latency per the base unit: no blinking amber light... all lights are GREEN.

The camera detects motion and then all I see is the tops of their heads.  Based on where it is placed, if it records immediately upon detection, it should see the face of the person, but it only gets them by the time they reach my front door... tops of heads.

At a normal walking rate, this is about a 2 second lag in detection and recording initiation.

This is an issue, to be sure.

Another issue is the motion detection distance: the one at my front door picks me up walking towards the door when I'm about 14 feet from the camera.  14 feet.  That's it.  I have sensitivity at 100% and it's 14 feet for a 200 lbm 6'1" man.

Netgear's solution is set another camera closer and trigger the door camera on the closer camera's detection.

So the solution is to spend $179.99 on another mediocre motion detector.  Why not just sell motion detectors as well?  One little single-battery motion detector can be placed anywhere.  I could place one or more in the logical walking path to my front door and begin detection before the camera does.

Even better: MAKE CAMERAS WITH A LARGE BUFFER SO THAT ANY NETWORK DELAY IS NEGATED.

In the meantime, allow Wink to initiate recordings for Arlo.  That way I can use a dinky little Z-wave motion detector or door sensor (for inside cameras) to trigger recording events.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

FortyCaliber wrote:

, this is about a 2 second lag in detection and recording initiation.

Even better: MAKE CAMERAS WITH A LARGE BUFFER SO THAT ANY NETWORK DELAY IS NEGATED.

In the meantime, allow Wink to initiate recordings for Arlo.  That way I can use a dinky little Z-wave motion detector or door sensor (for inside cameras) to trigger recording events.

Add your Wink request here ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

More kudo, more likey to happen ( check as I think simiar was prev posted )

Yes, the Arlo do have a lag from the trigger event to the actual record start... but this can be overcome by placement of the camera. I had to place my cams ( moved from door to 10 ft back ) so that a person walking into the covered area triggers the event and then record the person approching the door/at door and leaving.

The Arlo Pro cams ( sort of Arlo gen 2 ) overcome this lag by improved trigger response and an internal budffer so record starts right after trigger event .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hawkeye100
Aspirant
Aspirant

For Netgear to say that it's the way the system works is horse dung! This just started recently and it worked perfect before!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hawkeye100,

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

If you're having trouble with motion detection. Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

This is the 206th. message of this topic!

Can't possibly be that so many Arlo users aren't installing or positioning their cameras properly. Delay is there, no doubt about it. Yes Arlo Pro addressed and fixed the problem.

Maybe Netgear should disclose that right on the package of original Arlo they're still selling. Guaranteed, a lot fewer users complaining and posting messages here.

Paul

aaronjh
Guide
Guide

I've done quite a bit of debugging with Wireshark, and the delays are primarily due to latency back to the Netgear servers. If you're connecting to an instance to which you have low latency, the delays are quite resonable. If the latency is higher, then the delays can be measured in seconds (up to 5 seconds in my experience), and in many install locations (e.g. walkways) there is no feasible way to align the cameras such that the subject is actually captured.

In HawkEye100's case, it seems that the issues only popped up recently. So it seems likely either the instance the camera is connecting to has changed, or the ISP routing to that instance has changed to one with higher latency - resulting in the delays in video.

All you can really do is hope that the speeds back to the Netgear servers improve. Or you could try changing internet providers to see if that helps. 

Suggestions to realign cameras really don't fix the root problem.

In my case, the delays magically disappeared when I swictched from a budget ADSL-based internet provider to a business-grade provider with optical fibre right to the premises.

I guess this is the real issue with cloud-connected devices. You are at the mercy of the vendor's servers and the internet routing to reach them.

Next time I get a security system, I'll make sure I look for one that works reliably even if the internet connection goes down entirely.

Hill568
Aspirant
Aspirant

HOW CAN I REDUCE THE DELAY BETWEEN MOTION DETECTION AND START OF THE 10 SECOND RECORDING.  THE DELAY IS NEARLY 20 SECONDS.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you can't adjust the delay time.

I understand the Arlo Pro has less delay than the earkier Arlo.

One trick that helps in some instances is to take a cam (lets call it A) watching earlier up the path or from wherever the object to be captured from is coming. And, say the cam watching the door is Cam B.  You create a rule in the mode you're using for when cam A detects motion it also starts cam B recording.  Be sure to set your recording length to the max120 sec or recording may be finished by the time the object is at the door.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

aaronjh wrote:

I've done quite a bit of debugging with Wireshark, and the delays are primarily due to latency back to the Netgear servers

WHat server is being used?  In my case (Rochester, NY) I'm using an AWS server in Ireland.  I've been told that the reason is that the EU has stricter privacy laws than the US so I'm guessing that the use of an EU server mitigates the issue of buying a system in the US and moving it to the EU.  It obviously impacts latency.

RobinMB
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's been some time since the last post on this subject.

I've just purchased an Arlo wireless system and am very disappointed with the lag in recording. I understand this to be due to the delay in routing the signal for this internet based system through the Netgear server.

My problem is with Live Recording. There is a 10 second delay even with Live Recording. Surely a live recording should not be directed through the server? It means Live Recording is not live. By the time I see a visitor get out of his/her car they are already knocking on the door.

It also makes the speaker and audio facility pointless if you synchronise speech to the delayed video.

Does anyone know of any way to fix this. Positioning of the camera, sensitivity setting etc, is NOT the issue.

Pinkrose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there! Very new to these cams and getting set up. First prob is HOW to change recording length from 10 to 30...and I’m not finding slider bar referred to by some. Also, would you mind walking me through your being able to get earlier recording instead of the delayed? (Thinking I need an Arlo “book for dummies”...though I WAS able to find solution on here for pink image. LOVE this helpful site...just need to figure things out now)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Arlo for Dummies" is already here - the FAQs. They answer most of your questions, including how to change recording time, creating custom modes, etc. After checking out the FAQs, you should be able to modify the recording time to 30 seconds. Short course - use the Mode tab, select your base and edit our modes, the Armed mode is the default. All settings are in there. Be sure to save at every opportunity.

For the 3 second look-back, you need either a Q camera or a Pro 2 that is AC-powered. Features like that need power - the battery-operated cameras can't supply enough power long enough to do that.

TC53158
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, this is just absolute crap. I've had my Arlo for less than a week now and I have the exact same problem as all the other posters. Today FedEx delivered a package to my front door. I have a 40 ft driveway. The FedEx guy had time to walk all the way to my front door, put the box down, turn around and get a good 10 ft. back to his truck before the camera started recording. I know this is due to lag thanks to a small pine tree in my front yard. It sets off the recording 10 times a day when it is windy and its 20 ft from my front door. If that tree wiggling sets my camera off, there's no way it didn't see the FedEx guy way down my driveway. I've seen Netgear suggest setting up a cross recording to make one camera trigger another camera's recording function. I'd love to do that! Why doesn't Netgear give all the users on this thread a free camera so we can set that up without any further loss of money on our part? I'm asking you, James, specifically. Is Netgear going to fix this problem or do I need to return this system and find something else? 

DRGinLBC
Guide
Guide

You're wasting your breath.  You won't get a single honest response on this board.

I have tons of videos of people walking away from my house. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And I have tons of videos of people walking towards the house. Each installation is different and you need to take the time to figure out how to maximize positioning for what you need. Not every situation is going to be solveable due to the use of battery-operated PIRs in these cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned... setup is trial and error as no setup can be the same.

This is a gen 1 Arlo cam video below... I had to move it away from the door and change it to facing the door.  It triggers as they enter and faces as they leave.

One issue i see is users trying to cover to much area for the camera..remember they can only pick people up at a max of 20 ft, so your coverage should be slightly less.

cam5.JPG

As you can see it's the start of the video, also no trees or much else to get false triggers from... so if you have these items, try to eliminate them from the view

TC53158
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's the problem with all the arguments for Arlo's problems. You don't sell somebody a product and advertise its function, then after the point of purchase tell the user all the ways it won't do what they want! Disclose it right up front so you don't piss off a bunch of people. What good is a security camera if it won't watch my whole front yard? I have to have it watch a small portion of my yard? Exactly how many cameras should I point at my yard so the entire thing is covered? Also in my reading it looks like they mostly fixed this issue with the pro? If that's true why are they still selling this model? It's clearly a bug or it wouldn't have to be "fixed". 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not going to argue with your point..being a user like you, there's alot to it.

But at the same time, wouldn't call it a bug in the Arlo , so more as a iphone 8 has more features than a 7...

The pro is a gen 2 compared to an Arlo and the users always want more or you're out of business. The Pro took the compliants from the first and it was upgraded. I still use a few Arlos, tho most are now inside and in that situ they work well for rooms.

As to coverage... maybe i came into the scene with a bit more info as to cameras since I used to install a few.  There are two types of cameras; 1) id and 2) activity.

Id camera's cover a very small area to get faces, Activity cameras cover larger areas and you'll see what happened and when but not get a face or id as the FOV is to great.

It is very hard to make one camera do both

Right off the bat the 130d FOV makes these activity cams... the problem is the PIR detects for people is 20-25 ft. You can see the problem many can have. 

I don't have the answer as to why, just can recoomend how others can get the most out of what they have.