Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor camera attracting wasp and crawls on lens so it triggers motion alert a lot

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Subpeaksurfer
Tutor
Tutor

I have seen other posts on here about the same thing, but Arlo has blocked further comments on the posts.  I have two outdoor cameras that seem to be attracting wasps like crazy.  The wasps just can't get enough of them.  I have videos of 3 or 4 wasps at a time crawling across the lens and smearing their faces on the lens as if the camera is made out of wasp pheromones'.  They trigger motion alerts as much as 530 times a day, which yes, CRUSHES the battery.  I have tried carefully applying wasp and insect deterrents but I don't want to damage the camera as I know some of those chemicals are very bad for plastics and electronics.  Is it the IR, or the chemistry of the electronic components in the camera? or is it emitting some kind of mystery wasp attractant?  Also interested to hear anything else people have tried to make this stop.  I have tried, repellents, poisons, ammonia, yelling really loudly through the speaker to GTFO, and nothing seems to work.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't seen it here... but in a prob diff locale then you.

One thing I do know is wasps tend to be very territorial... Try hanging up a small brown lunch bag ( puffed up and twisted at top ) near the camera to look like a nest.  See if that helps

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------