Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BeemerRider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has Arlo thought about creating an outdoor base station to solve for wifi signal penetration of masonry, or high RF absorbant structures? 

There is a common thread across many community comments surrounding Arlo wifi signal deprecation with few new answers or solutions.  My building has nearly 2 foot thick walls (Built in 1909) and securing strong reliable WiFi to my Arlo cameras from an indoor base station is more than just a little challenging?   Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any outbuildings or sheds with power could work for extra range and has been done by other users here...

Along with weather proof containers.... one person used a large tupperware box

Major issue is of course the bases still need power and ethernet cable to function well.

Try and post it here for best results ; ( want/idea list area )

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BeemerRider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Certainly a DIY solution could certainly be possible as you are sharing here.  It seems to be odd that with the ARLO cameras meeting IP64/IP65 enclosure ratings and standards for both dust and water ingress, I was thinking that perhaps ARLO would pursue the same standards for a base station.   Given some of the environmental challenges that may impact wifi signal strength and integrity, the ARLO product would have a greater set of use cases upon which to build its business upon.

TomMac, I do thank you for your response btw.  I was simply hoping there may be something more optimal out there.

Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

******** CORRECTION *********

The ratings of the TP-Link TL-POE200 do not appear to be adequate to power an ARLO base station.  The documentation which accompanies the product (on the box and printed instructions) clearly state that the output current at 12 volts is limited to 1 Amp ONLY.

Fortunately there are other similar POE Insertion/Splitter devices which should do the job.   

********* CORRECTION **********