Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DuBolton
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a system purchased at Costco approximately 4 years ago, two wireless cameras and base station ( VMB3010r2T Base, (2) H11 Cameras). One of the cameras uses batteries like there is no tomorrow. For example, I changed the batteries last week and one of the cameras is currently showing 12% battery life, the other 91%. I've tried swapping their locations, thinking that the problem might be due to distance from the base or an obstruction, but the problem persists, no matter where the camera is placed. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and whether they were able to resolve it.

I'm about ready to throw the whole system away and replace them with wired cameras so I don't need to climb a ladder to replace batteries every other week.

6 REPLIES 6
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi DuBulton,

Have you tried switching the batteries to see if it might be the problems with the battery or with the camera?

DuBolton
Aspirant
Aspirant

This occurs when I install brand new batteries. It does not matter what brand of battery, all are new out of the package.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest contacting the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

DuBolton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately this system is out of warranty which is why I was hoping that the community might be able to suggest a solution.

To add further information, I had installed new batteries approximately two weeks ago. The "problem" camera went offline after a few days while the other camera's batteries were still at 89%. Yesterday I installed new batteries in the problem camera and swapped the locations of the two, moving it closer to the base. Shortly after replacement, the batteries showed to be at 97%. I checked them this morning (approximately 16 hours after replacing the batteries) and the bad camera is now at 86%, with only 9 events having been recorded, most while I was reinstalling and adjusting it. The other camera, now further from the base is still showing 89% battery. Settings for both cameras are the same. Both are the same hardware and firmware versions. In the time that I've had them, I've spent more for batteries than I did for the system. I'm already researching a wired solution but was hoping to keep these things working until I can order and install it. For anyone asking my opinion about Arlo cameras I will definitely NOT be recommending them.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DuBolton wrote:

I checked them this morning (approximately 16 hours after replacing the batteries) and the bad camera is now at 86%, with only 9 events having been recorded, most while I was reinstalling and adjusting it. 

Video streaming will of course use battery.  Do you use activity zones?  If you do, then there is hidden streaming going on, and that might account for some of the drain.  You can temporarily turn off activity zones if you want to estimate how much.

Another factor is lost connections to the base.  Every time the connection drops, the camera tries to re-discover it an reconnect.  That can also use a lot of battery.  Are you seeing any signs of lost connections or low signal?

DuBolton
Aspirant
Aspirant

.....And it's been three days. The "good" camera is still at 89%, the "bad" camera is offline, probably because the batteries are dead, again.