Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mlsstl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had a package apparently stolen off our porch today and, once again, when we went to check the video, nothing.

It seems the system just mysteriously quit working late yesterday afternoon without notice. Batteries are fine and the base station has (and had) three green lights. There have been no issues with our internet connection for all other devices.  It SHOULD have been working, but wasn't. So, have no way to check what happened to the mystery package, i.e., whether it was never delivered or was actually stolen after delivery.

This happens regularly on an intermittent basis.

This system is one of the most unreliable electronic products I've ever owned. It cannot be trusted. What a waste of space.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot for suggestions. As for lack of recordings, exactly how the package was approached can make a difference. If the person noticed the camera, a strategy could have been used to avoid detection, such as slowly approaching directly at the camera.

mlsstl
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, you don't understand. No one cleverly avoided the camera. The system was simply not working. Period. Neither front nor back. One cannot enter the house by either the front or back door without walking by a camera, and there are no recordngs of anything since a bit after 2 PM on Wednesday. So, no recordings of me coming home from work Wed evening, or taking the dog out several times, or me going to work and coming home Thursday, nothing of the mailman delivering mail (which was not taken -- guess they didn't want the bills), and so on.

I've had this system for over four years and it has been erratically unreliable in this fashion for the entire time. I've had a camera replaced (that was a fight in and of itself) and tried other changes. Great when it is working, but just periodically quits for no apparent reason. This is a completely separate issue from the batteries.

mlsstl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also BTW, of what do you want a "screenshot"? The recordings that aren't there?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, a screenshot of what the camera's view is. We can't see how you've got it positioned since we're not there.

mlsstl
Aspirant
Aspirant

You keep missing the point. The system periodically quits working. There is nothing to see, whether live or recorded, so it doesn't matter where the camera is pointed. 

Resetting the base station -- even though the three lights are green -- starts things working again. This has been a recurring problem for years, with no apparent predictabliity or cause that I've been able to determine. Meanwhile, every other internet connected device in the house continues to perform flawessly.

Braceman
Guide
Guide

This is Braceman.  I know how you feel. I posted/talked to and have had base station, cameras replaced (hard doing) check all systems (iphone,i Pad, desk top windows) and have had all these experts giving advice and Arlo folks telling me they are working on the problem. The problem started with an update (firmware,etc.) January 5th.  To this day I have no recording in the library and the Geofenicing has to  be manually change whenever we leave home. Takes up to 60 seconds to veiw email alert on our iPhones  and by that time whatever happens is over.  Was lucky one day when an apparent stranger knock/ring door bell and went around side of house where the other camera alerted.  By time I open the app and ask the guy  what h--- you are doing, he booked out.  Arlo has great cameras, etc., bu t their tech folks are short on remedies for tech problems and you should not be victomized by updates that render you equipment to being less than functional.  I will be relinquishing my member ship by November and am not sure which way I might go.  Do not want to go back to our UD777!