Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo false triggering from sunlight reflecting off passing cars

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
bruceste
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have my camera pointed toward the driveway, and every time a car drives by, the reflection from the sun hitting the car creates a flash of light cast across my driveway where I have my camera aimed. This triggers the camera. I made sure the car itself in the street is not in the field of vision on the camera. I've lowered the sensitivity and it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

25 REPLIES 25
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where are you adjusting the sensitivity? It must be in your modes/rules, not in the Motion Detection Test.

bruceste
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correct. I adjusted in the modes

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be refelctions from the street that are bouncing off something else. Post a screenshot.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same issue recently with sunlight setting off false triggers , this seems to happen all the time now on 3 cameras I have outside .

I have had the cameras for about 2-3 years now and they are in exactly the same positions when I first installed them and they never used to get so many false triggers until the last 3-6 months . I have even turned down the sensitivity a lot still get so many each day . I assume this is from some update net gear has recently done to the camera setting ? 

cody9910
Tutor
Tutor

Getting false triggers one after another from the sun light and shadow on the side of the house. Had Cams for 2 years and as we approch October, November and December the sun is more on an angle and tends to shadow about half of the wall on my house. Normaly the sun in the summer is straight above the roof and the entire erea where the cam is loacted is shadowed completley and the false trigger happens much less. I can not position the camera any other way I have tried many options to allow the vew of the front door and this shadow sun issue still happens. 

I get a flash but there is not bird,bug, glare nothing but the sun in this posistion that is causing this issue. Netgear please step it up this needs to be fixed. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

cody9910,

Have you tried to reboot the base station and test again?

cody9910
Tutor
Tutor

Yes turned off base, camera and swapped cameras they all do the same thing nothing helps. Very frustrating, I am now to a point where I have to turn the camera off at this time of year and certain times of the day to avoid the annoiance. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

cody9910,

You can create a custom schedule for the camera to try and avoid the shadow for a few moments and then have it reactivate. This should help with the sun and the false alert.

cody9910
Tutor
Tutor

I am aware of the scheduling feature but dont you think this is defeating the entire purpose of having the security around? what I can't understand is why netgear will not make this right. There is a fundimental flaw with cameras and there are so many complaints about false triggers. For the cost of this system they should be doing somthing to fix the issues. In the begining I recomended this camera but until netgear fixes these issues without shutting down the camera. I can no longer recomend this system.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same issue and created another post about it photos here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-False-Triggers-with-Sunlight-Shade/m-p/1638498 

Seems to me this have been some sort of update to the camera algorithm update and they have not addressed or fixed yet . Really anoying issue and I have to end up turning off the cameras at times which defeats the purpose of the system . 

Im supprised no one from Netgear has made a memo or issued a notice about this issue and they keep sweeping it under the rug by saying try turning it of and on or swapping camera etc  . 

petestur68
Aspirant
Aspirant
My problem is with an arlo camera pointing down at a truck parked in my driveway. At night, light reflections from the headlights of passing cars trigger motion and recording. If I turn off “Night Vision” under video settings I stop getting false alerts. The only saving grace is that my soffit lights keep the area mostly illuminated. I solved the problem by disabling night vision, burn Arlo should correct this software problem and push out software updates.
The_Coach
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting false positives from the morning sun on my patio.  I just purchased the Arlo Pro 2 system.  I have turned down the brightness and even turned off the mic.  I have swapped out three camerias and they all had the same problem.  Has anyone resolved this issue?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you cnaged the sensitivity setting in your modes and rules and then saved them? Some folks think the temporary setting in the motion detection test will work but that's the wrong place.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @The_Coach

You can try and adjust the sensitivity down by 1% until you get the desired results. Have you made sure your cameras & base station are up to date on the latest firmware?

The_Coach
Aspirant
Aspirant

I already have the brightness down to 0%.  How do you update the camera software.  The base station updated itself when I initially installed it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The 0% is set in your modes and rules, right? Have you checked to verify you saved the changes?

The_Coach
Aspirant
Aspirant

i tested it with three camerias.  It is the sun.  we had a cloudy day today and we had no problems.  I will need to put some type of visor on the camera to reduce the sun glare.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or start turning down motion sensitivity until you minimize false detections while still getting the ones you need.

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I have the same problem and no fix, had my cameras for 4 months and has done this the whole time.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @02redcavi

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I have contacted multiple times, no help.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @02redcavi

What troubleshooting steps have you performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you may have done.

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I have rebooted the base station, re synced cameras, I have adjusted the sensitivity down to 40 and helped a little bit but when checking to make sure it would detect a person it would not so I put them back up. Just bought skins with hoods to try out and worse case I’ll try and relocate the camera. Just don’t have many spots and is a pain in the butt bc the place I put the camera is the best spot.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@02redcavi

Have you tried to remove the cameras from Settings > My devices the re-add them?

Make sure your cameras & base station are up to date on the latest firmware. I have attached the link here for you - Firmware release Notes