Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Number of Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GeoT4967
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, The articles say that I can have up to 15 cameras without a subscription but when I try to go more than 5, it's telling me that "this device is inactive, you must have a subscription". So which is it, 5 or 15? I have yet to find a way to add more than 5 cameras for free, and the support is really not great! No actual support form the company!!! I would dump all of it if it weren't for the cost!
4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GeoT4967 wrote:
The articles say that I can have up to 15 cameras without a subscription

What articles????

Free cloud storage is limited

1. to legacy cameras and 
  2. accounts with 5 or fewer unsubscribed cameras
GeoT4967
Aspirant
Aspirant
This one and others https://kb.arlo.com/1108731/How-many-cameras-does-the-free-Basic-service-plan-support. So if I understand you correctly, if I want more than 5 cameras I have to pay. Correct? Thanks for the prompt response.
GeoT4967
Aspirant
Aspirant
What if I don’t use the cloud storage and just usb keys? Can I get more than 5 then?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GeoT4967 wrote:
This one and others https://kb.arlo.com/1108731/How-many-cameras-does-the-free-Basic-service-plan-support. So if I understand you correctly, if I want more than 5 cameras I have to pay. Correct? Thanks for the prompt response.

That article doesn't address the 7-day cloud storage.  See this one:

Though the title says United States, the 7-day cloud storage limitations are world wide.

@GeoT4967 wrote:
What if I don’t use the cloud storage and just usb keys?  Can I get more than 5 then?

Yes.  Note that with VMB4000 and VMB4500 bases you need to eject the storage from the base, and then connect it to a PC to view the recordings.  Those bases don't support playback, only recording.

The VMB4540 and VMB5000 do have a direct access to local storage feature, but it does have quite a few limitations:

• recordings only available in the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshot
  • no thumbnails - recordings need to be downloaded to the phone before you are able to view them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).