Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
bduell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am having trouble installing my Arlo and losing patience quickly. My issue is that the camera will detect motion, but will not save the recording. I will receive a push notification and the Library will light up with a 1 but when I go to the library, there will be no recording. I have the mode set to all motion on and have rules for both cameras to record video if they detect motion. I have tried rebooting everything and taking the batteries out of the cameras and it still doesn't work. The live feature works fine and it saves manually recorded video. Anything else I can try before returning them and never buying a Netgear product again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems like the version of SW on the cameras and base need updating..

Do a power button reboot of the base and reset the cameras by opening the battery doors for a few secs... let re-sync

It should update overnight.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there have been a couple of problem with lack of videos due to improper ( old ) sw version on the cameras/base...

( when purchased new, what version you have depends on shelf live since shipped for Netgear )

So... what device/os are you using ? ...Also what sw version on the camera and base ( setting>camera/base>device info )

bduell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. 

DEVICE

Firmware- 1.4.2695

Hardware- VMB3010r2

CAMERA 1

Firmware- 1.2.2699

Hardware- VMC3030

CAMERA 2

Firmware- 1.2.688

Hardware- VMC3030

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems like the version of SW on the cameras and base need updating..

Do a power button reboot of the base and reset the cameras by opening the battery doors for a few secs... let re-sync

It should update overnight.

HeavyDMack
Aspirant
Aspirant
It would alert me but not save any recordings - after screwing around with it for too long, I called Support. I just had to update my firmware - they told me cameras need to be 1.2.7730 and base unit 1.8.1_9169. Firmware updates only if you have a good data connection. My system is at a second home with crappy data connection. Took it home and it updated itself in 5 minutes. You may have to sync your cameras up when they are next to the base station. Sounds goofy but Support gave me that direction too. I hope this helps.
bduell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks everyone, my device updated itself overnight without me doing anything to it and now works. 

HeavyDMack
Aspirant
Aspirant
Awesome!
cyndamon
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is firmware

cyndamon
Aspirant
Aspirant

What SW?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cyndamon,

Users above are discussing firmware updates on their Arlo system. You can find more information about the latest firmware releases here: Release Notes

JamesC

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem.  It all worked fine until a new software update.  Now I have this same issue.  I see tons of complaints about this.  I cannot beleive how bad this has been. If Netgear could just fix the software. If you can, return the system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What haven you done to try to remedy the situation?
Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone found a solution to the arlo security system not recording after the late 2016 software update.  I've tried everything suggested by everyone at least twice.  JamesC seems to think my internet is too slow, which seems not possible, since I can view movies lives on the internet connection.  This is the only thing I haven't tried because I cannot think of a way around this.  Can't Netgear send me a "patch"?  Is there a way to get the new software uploaded? Is there a way to go back to the software that used to work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
1) Internet speed of interest is the upload speed. Streaming movies uses mostly download. Use speedtest.net to determine your actual speeds.

2) No patches, just the latest firmware and apps. No wah to go back, either.

Check your upload speed. That's the most likely culprit.
YongF
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue, mymessage shows alert, but I can see nothing in the library, why?
cyndamon
Aspirant
Aspirant
I need steps, to restore video..gives me alert no video. Steps 1. Turn off etc.2.etc.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

YongF, cyndamon

If you initiate a live stream and manually record, is a video produced in the library?

This issue could be firmware related, check to make sure your cameras and base station are running the latest firmware.

JamesC

Msantarc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried the "Reset base station & reset camera, wait till tomorrow for software update".

It's still not recording, but it IS detecting motion (I get emails).

Camera: H11 Firmware: 1.2.10342

Base: VMB3010r2 Firmware: 1.8.8.0_11528

Any Advice?

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I wish I had advice that would fix your problem.  I've tried everything I can think of propobaly 5-6 times. I am fairly tech savvy and have never had such an issue with new equipment.  The tech advice from Netgear is usually non-specific, hard to follow, or does not pertain.  The system once worked for about two months and my resaearch showed that then Netgear updated the firmware, which messed it all up.  Netgear refuses to fix it.

My best advice is to quit trying to fix the issue and buy another product.  I think you will be money and much time ahead.

Netgear and Arlo seem to not care or not understand the issue.

I have my cameras set up just so people "think" they are being watched.  I have got another system that works just fine and their tech service is great.

Such a bummer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Msantarc,

The firmware you are indicating above is current. Are you using a custom mode? If so, check the rules to make sure the cameras are triggered to produce a recording and not just an email alert.

Does the email alert contain a video clip? This would indicate that the camera is recording, be sure you do not have any filters set when attempting to view from your library.

JamesC

YongF
Aspirant
Aspirant
My issue has been fixed after I purchased a brand new base station and dropped the old one. Looks the camera itself just works fine,but the base station malfunctions
Msantarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm in standard "armed" mode. No custom mode.
No rules built.(didn't even see where that could be done)
Email does not contain a video
Manual video recording works and showed up in library.
No filters while viewing library.
Msantarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
As others have found it worked for a few days, then it stopped recording.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Msantarc,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Msantarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did exactly that today, the agent signed on to my account and fixed a parameter that I had screwed up, but I can't find that parameter, so there's a good chance that I'll messed it up again one day.
Oh well, I'm just glad it's working now.