Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

TheMayor207
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using the same email address for a few years. 5pm yesterday my email alerts stopped. Push alerts are still working fine. I have verified my email address, cycled email alerts on and off, restarted my base station etc. 

nothing is working 

Best answers
421 REPLIES 421
Bob_Cous
Guide
Guide

Well, it would be nice to hear something direct from Arlo on this matter . . .

In the absence of that, I guess I'll start shopping around.

WConcrete
Initiate
Initiate

I work for a large concrete and construction company and we use cover 100 Arlo cameras of various makes and models. These cameras are under several different Arlo accounts. So the email option allowed us to direct email alerts to crews that had another account open receiving push notifications. The owners of this company kept the main Arlo account open to receive push notifications but would have to get email alerts from other accounts. This is because you can only be logged into one account at a time. Well this genius move has us scrambling for a resolution since holidays are when we see our largest increase in theft from job sites. Bottom line is either the email alert is fixed or come January we will dump every Arlo account both business and residential. And we will make a big deal about it online.

666ArloUser666
Star
Star

Just today, I received push notifications on motion activity EIGHTEEN MINUTES after the activity occurred.  

My app connection is currently home wifi, with a strong connection speed so Arlo cannot blame it on that.

So, Arlo removes emails but doesn't improve/fix push.  Brilliant.

Tinman4now
Star
Star

I would agree except I NO LONGER RECEIVE push notifications. Part of the problem is tech folks never properly tested to IOS. I'm running IOS 17.1.1 and also have Apple 8 watch which compounds the problem. I also lost my older vmb4000 hub, arlo app because on installing vmb4540 smart hub. I have 10 pro cameras which means i had a arlo smart premier subscription which I also. Poor planning, tech support or help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tinman4now wrote:

I would agree except I NO LONGER RECEIVE push notifications. Part of the problem is tech folks never properly tested to IOS. I'm running IOS 17.1.1 and also have Apple 8 watch which compounds the problem.

I do get them on iOS 17.1.1 - but one big difference is that I do not have an Apple watch.

Kombucha
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve abruptly stopped receiving email alerts for all my 4 netgear arlo cameras. I’m not on a subscription and the cameras were purchased in 2017. When I go into the app - press mode,  then armed and try to edit, the email notification option has disappeared. I’m in the UK so understand from Arlo’s website that the EOL policy doesn’t apply here or the EU. What should I do? Any suggestions?  Thank you. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kombucha wrote:

I’ve abruptly stopped receiving email alerts for all my 4 netgear arlo cameras. I’m not on a subscription and the cameras were purchased in 2017. When I go into the app - press mode,  then armed and try to edit, the email notification option has disappeared. 

Unfortunately, Arlo removed the email alert feature for all customers (and all cameras, so not linked to the EOL).

Kombucha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB for your help.

Fascinatingfee
Guide
Guide

Off to check Choice and to follow up legislation regarding changing conditions that make the cameras no longer fit for purpose with Consumer Affairs 

ConorF_IRE
Tutor
Tutor

Please let me know if i can help. This the main way i use these cameras. I don’t want push notifications at 4am when a moth goes past my camera. FFS. Why remove the emails. It’s ridiculous 

ConorF_IRE
Tutor
Tutor

And I hope someone influential in Arlo can read this. I will never again buy an Arlo product because of this horrible behaviour. I spent a lot of money on this hardware and previously had good things to say to anyone that asked or listened. I’m 180 degrees on that. There is no reason to remove emails from this older system other than mean hearted greediness. As far as I’m concerned it’s backfired and I hope that is the same for others. It’s disgraceful. 

Efthos
Star
Star
Spoiler
Totally agree.  There probably could be a basis for a class action suit.  Instead of treating their existing customers with the respect due them,  Arlo is just trying to sell more of their product, but not stand behind it.  I was going to recommend the Arlo doorbell to a friend of mine, but am so glad she went with another company,

Joseph17
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got my new Ring products ordered and being delivered on Friday.   I read a whole bunch of reviews on various systems and am going with Ring for now.  Everything was on sale and free delivery from Ring directly.

Moving on here.

TAZDEAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

When did Arlo stop sending email alerts and now the option is not available for notification?

G3Acoustic
Initiate
Initiate

This yet another example of Arlo not considering what it users want and how they really use their Arlo cams,  before they make changes like eliminating email alerts.

I relied on the Arlo email alerts to set off an iPhone VIP alert, which would wake me up whenever the wild hogs had entered my back yard to destroy my landscape and turf.  This gave me the opportunity to scare them off before doing too much damage. With their latest “enhancement”, eliminating email alerts and relying on push notifications,  now all I get is a little bleep noise when the cam senses motion - hardly any kind of a noticeable security alert. 

Arlo keeps trying to push their product as a “security” device,  but keeps making unwanted changes that make their product less valuable to their customers. 

Arlo - Bring back the email alerts or create a long duration push notification that will actually alert a homeowner to the security event their “Security Camera” is supposedly trying to warn them of. 

BGOSNZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

We have a problem with a guy who lived in our place as a child who has now turned up claiming to be the owner and threatening us. This is very unnerving to put it mildly.  The Police say they cant do anything till he does something. The E Mail Alerts were forwarded to an old  phone that only has one e mail addy on it which wakes us up when mail comes in. The Push stuff in the App is not up to task 

G3Acoustic
Initiate
Initiate

Unfortunately, all you will get in response from Arlo is the admin repeatedly saying “Read Our EOL Policy”. Too bad someone from Arlo doesn’t say, “hmmm look at how many customers are disappointed with this change, we need to fix this…”. 

Hello Arlo Admin - are you listening?!

666ArloUser666
Star
Star

The push notifications are ridiculous/worthless.

They are too quiet (one can not increase the volume on them), too short in duration, and one cannot program based on person or vehicle detection, for example.

Most importantly, I often get push notifications many MINUTES after the event has occurred.

When Arlo removed email notifications, it should have made damn sure that it's push notifications were reliable and useful, with various setting options.  

Arlo, no longer serves its main purpose. 

A security company that is not interested in our security.

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m going to give Ring a try.   They have email alerts, and the cameras are generally less expensive.   The subscription is less than Arlo too.  So long Arlo!   Once someone looses me as a customer, I’ll never be back!!!

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The EOL response is more than I received.   I contacted tech support the same day that the emails stopped, and they didn’t know what was going on.  They wasted two hours of my time by having me change settings and emails, etc.   Just like I wasn’t informed of the change, Arlo didn’t bother to tell their own tech support.   Besides the EOL policy is BS.  My cameras are newer and not listed as the affected devices.   Arlo simply stopped offering email alerts on all devices without any warning.   PERIOD.  This is very poor business.   I’m switching over to Ring cameras.  

FranklinRT
Aspirant
Aspirant

November 7 2023 they sent out a email, which some didn't get including me which said they were going to retire the email notification feature and use push notifications and desktop notifications on computers.  While this is OK, most people are upset because email notifications worked well.  What i would suggest doing is try to use the push notification feature more and i know it can kill your phones battery however you can silence these and have a record on the phone still.  I've been trying to use the feed feature in the app more and more.  Hopefully they will bring back email notifications down the road.

Tinman4now
Star
Star

Another big issue I have with this EOL BS is reading an email I got from Arlo is they "would provide 30 days notice" prior to implimentation! They appear to be playing by rolling the dice. They have provided NO notifications unless you consider Arlo writting hidden messages that required you to scan their web site daily.

Another big issue is original IOS software. Mine was working fine, I have 10 cameras which means I "Had" a smart premier plan which was paid a year in advanced 08-19-2023. This means Arlo screwed me out of "9 months of paid  service". I had to install the new IOS Arlo secure app which did not reconize my account. I had to create a new account "(which was the same login info)" and purchase "another secure plan" for multi cameras. I spent alot of money on hardware and service over the years. I'm retired so it will take some time to review products and save money for a new system. I believe Arlo is a sinking ship for it's original proudcts/service.

jdvd
Initiate
Initiate

A few months ago there was a significant increase in the monthly fee and now they are disabling e-mail notifications without warning and at night.

Well... for my part, the Arlo subscription is also at the end of its life.

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly!!!  Cancelled mine too. 

kraimania
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with all previous feedback on the subject and feel Arlo approached its decision in a cowardly manner by burying the information in an EOL Policy document that doesn't even specify a date for ending the email option (other than sometime in 2023).  I am hesitant to continue doing business with a company that lacks transparency in its communications and follows a path that consistently does a disservice to its customers.

Comically, I see I can still choose to get an email notification from Arlo when someone replies to my comment!