Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not receiving email alerts

TheMayor207
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using the same email address for a few years. 5pm yesterday my email alerts stopped. Push alerts are still working fine. I have verified my email address, cycled email alerts on and off, restarted my base station etc. 

nothing is working 

Best answers
421 REPLIES 421
HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why are you going to "take your loss"? Since the product no longer works the way it's supposed to work, why not tell them you want your money back under their warranty?

Dinostones
Star
Star

Removing the email alerts was the single most irresponsible things Arlo has ever done!

Dinostones
Star
Star

Bring back the email alerts feature. It is probably the single most important feature I rely on.

meyekle
Guide
Guide

Yep, I noticed that the IOS app no longer offers email alerts, just notification alerts (pushes).  What a shame, I just spent 40 minutes the other day selling my sister on buying a Arlo system from Costco, in fact I was toying with the idea of upgrading but now, nope.  Moderators,  comments?

666ArloUser666
Star
Star

File a complaint:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/carlsbad/profile/security-cameras/arlo-1126-1000061663

Tweet your displeasure:

CEO:  @mbmcrae

@ArloSmartHome
@ask_Arlo

Describe your displeasure on Amazon Arlo product pages.

Complain on Facebook:

Only way this is 'fixed' if it impacts Arlo's bottom line.

hoosierfanincal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought I was losing my mind. I have had my arlo 2 5 cam system for 5 years and all worked great until the 11/16 d day. Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to take email alerts away? I was considering upgrading but from the sounds of it none of their systems allow email alerts anymore? Big mistake changing this

AMG007
Tutor
Tutor

A Mr. JamesC from arlo tells us that email notifications are an end of life feature. Great.

Now, for me this becomes an end arlo feature; just bought the freaking camera and now I have end of life?

What a lousy product

AMG007
Tutor
Tutor

A Mr. JamesC from arlo tells us that email notifications are an end of life feature. Great.

Now, for me this becomes an end arlo feature; just bought the freaking camera and now I have end of life?

What a lousy product

AMG007
Tutor
Tutor

What a lousy product

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to clarify an earlier point someone raised upthread.  The email feature going away is NOT related to camera age.  I have a fleet of Ultra 2's running on VMB5000's and they also lost the ability to email.  They didn't just selectively remove the feature from an older segment of hardware users they removed it across the entire platform regardless of what cameras/base stations you are running.  There are simply NO more email alerts available from any of their products.  It's push or nothing.

AMG007
Tutor
Tutor

Yep.

It is „nothing“ for me then.

Useless product. I will return it tomorrow

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Be glad you can still return it.  I definitely would.   Over the years I invested in over 20 cameras which I specifically bought for the email alerts and can’t return now.   Arlo posted some BS about the end of life for specific cameras.   Most of mine aren’t on the list, yet they don’t have email alerts anymore.   Everyone, please cancel your Arlo Secure subscriptions and post your reviews.   I still can’t believe this company stopped the email alerts without notifying anyone.   I’m never buying Arlo or Netgear again.  

Joseph17
Apprentice
Apprentice

For the last 48 hrs or so I thought I'd give the "push notification" garbage a try to see if I can live with it only.  A big NOPE.  It's not good enough. It might be ok for occasional use say if you had nothing to do and wanted to stay logged into the app on your phone to observe some activity in your cameras field of view. But for the way 99.9% of people expect to use their security cams this is a total bust. 

For me the biggest headache is making a decision on which brand of new cams to buy, then mounting them and all that. Fkin cold weather and holidays coming and now I got to go deal with all this out of the blue.

I'm probably going the Ring route. Top rated, on sale often, everyone uses them, nice software interfaces, costs less than Arlo whether monthly or yearly and most important they have "email alerts".

Hallelujah
Star
Star

Geofencing did feature device location status markers for enabled mobile devices.  Sometime recently, I assume after one of the version updates, these markers (originally 'Home' and 'Away' which changed to a green or grey flag marker) have disappeared fro. The display.  No documentation, no updates and obviously no pre release testing.  Do you have the same behaviour?

wiredead
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the response and yes that will work. Look I'm going to be honest, and I hope you can feed this back to Arlo. Please stop removing features, Arlo markets themselves on being a company about safety. I'm escaping domestic violence so I cant have my location popping up on my phone all the time in case my violent partner sees it, email functionality kept me safe and now I don't have a choice but to invest in cameras from a different company.

AMG007
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks!

My camera goes back to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone have other hints what a good replacement product might be?

Bob_Cous
Guide
Guide

We shouldn't have to "make do" with a work-around. I specifically purchased my Arlo product based on the original features. My camera is not eol so why am I loosing functionality during a paid account period?

... not very professional IMO.

Will definely be hard to remain as a customer... or make recommendation to others.

Disappointed owner

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Hallelujah I have notified the appropriate team and someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. 

Rob_ohio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with you… Arlo will lose me as subscribers soon. The mobile alerts are annoying, I had turned them off due to there distraction during the work day. I’m much rather go through the notifications by email, because most often it’s an animal or passing car that is setting off the alert.

Tinman4now
Star
Star

I agree totally! For me I had vmb4000 hub with 10 Pro cameras. I never realized EOL would give my vmb4000 hub, my account, current Arlo iso App and my subscription a heart attack. After my hub died I purchased a vmb4540 from Arlo. I installed and found I could not install because my account was gone along with preveious smart premier subscription. Had to install "new arlo secure app" to install cameras. My other problem was I had 10 cameras, so I had to purchase ANOTHER Plan. I also miss the email alerts and the push notifications to app on my phone is a joke, doesn't work.

Jpfe8851
Initiate
Initiate

Well, after years using Arlo, and then adding a subscription due to installing more cameras, the blanket removal of email alerts without any advance notice is very ooor especially with the high monthly cost of subscribing. I had email alerts going to my wife as well so we could both monitor our home when away. Now it’s me or nothing. I didn’t want her having the burden of using the app. This is **bleep**e and don’t understand why such an elementary service has been removed. Please reinstate email alerts or like others I may have to look elsewhere for my home security.

BGOSNZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can you reach out to the team member who instigated this unpopular deletion and  get it re installed / re activated ?

CGEV
Initiate
Initiate

If you guys want to put a bit of visibility to my tweet here, to help reach those who decide.

https://twitter.com/superbiboun/status/1726900313012281762

BGOSNZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

Done

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wiredead wrote:

Thanks for the response and yes that will work. Look I'm going to be honest, and I hope you can feed this back to Arlo.

I don't work for Arlo, so all I can really do is tag @JamesC (who already has received quite a bit of feedback on this).

Personally I think it was a mistake to remove the email option, as I think there are several situations where it is a better fit than push notifications.

That said, I think the friend account approach is better in your case, as it allows immediate access to recordings and livestreaming the cameras from both accounts.

I don't think the notifications themselves will reveal the location of the second account, unless you open them.  That would result in seeing the camera image - not the actual address, but there would be potentially some clues.