Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo will not detect my base station. I restarted base. Factory reset base. Power and internet lights are green. Still won’t detect base for initial setup.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What device are you using? Is it on the same network as the base? Have you tried both the app and a browser?

cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant
The base station is plugged directly into my Internet modem with the ethernet cable. The power light and the Internet light green. But my PC will not text the base station nor will the Arlo app on my iPhone. Arlo tech-support told me that my Internet service provider needs to open three specific sports and the sign and IP address for my base station . I’m not sure that sounds right to me.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, I suspect your description isn't accurate. If it is, the problem is that the base is connected directly to your modem, not your router. That would block anything else from being able to see to set it up since it wouldn't be on the same network as any other home device. However, if you have a modem/router and it's connected to the router ports, that's different. The fact that you have both power and Internet LEDs is good. WHat device are you using to try to perform the setup? Is it connected to your home network? If you're using a phone and it's on cell service, it won't work until the system is configured.

As for ports to be open, if this is an ISP-owned router (or modem/router), sometimes they have a configuration installed that  will block Arlo. You need ports 80, 123 and 443 to arlo.netgear.com for the system to work. The green Internet LED seems to indicate that they're open but it would be worth a call to the ISP to verify. Of course, if you own the router, you need to configure it yourself.

cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant
You are correct, it is plugged into my internet modem directly. I’ve tried detecting the base station through my Arlo account on my PC and with my Arlo app on my iPhone with the iPhone connected to WiFi on the same network.

I have an EERO system for WiFi that is provided by my ISP. I cannot make changes. My ISP was unable to make said changes over the phone and I’m waiting for a technician as we speak.
cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well my S P tells me that there is no one who can access or configure the ports on this Wi-Fi system. Not even the ISP technicians.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on my quick look at EERO, it's just a mesh network router and beacons. You would already have a modem as a separate unit, likely owned by the ISP. You wouldn't plug the base into the modem (which assumes it has more than one port for internal connections - many don't) but into one of the EERO ports. That way the base is connected to your internal network, not the ISP's. 

Assuming the above is true, you likely don't need ports to be opened unless you've made security changes in your router.

cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant
The EERO has two Ethernet plugs. One for incoming service from ISP. The other goes out to my PC. Can I plug the Arlo into the plug for my PC and plug the PC directly to the modem?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No - same issue. Buy a cheap swicth and plug that into the EERo and then the computer and base into the switch. Everything will be on the same network then. Cost should be $20-30, +/-.

cdc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, the Arlo base station is now plugged into the EERO router and it works!! I just need to get the splitter for the PC and I should be fine. Thank you very much for the help!!!!
cktrax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to set up my base station at home with my Arris router. I have called customer service three times to try to solve this issue to no avail. They told me to call Arris to have them open ports. Will they do that? Can I do it on my own? If so PLEASE tell me how. I have googled how to open the ports but I am doing something wrong and its not working. I just need to connect to my base station so I can get these cameras up and running. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arris likely has no way to do what was suggested. I assume it's owned by the ISP and not you - is that correct? The ISP would need to open any ports. Only ports 80, 123 and 443 need to be open for arlo.netgear.com, not all ports. Most installations don't need any changes but occasionally an ISP needs to do some twiddling on their configurations.

What are the LEDs on the base showing? You should have green power and Internet LEDs. Also, is the device you're using to set the system up on the same network as the base and router? That is, you're not using a phone on cell service, right?