Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been using the Nitecore D4 charger for my Feagtac 750mAh 3.7v 16340 (RCR123) rechargable batteries for about 6 months. The last time I charged the batteries (4 at one time) overnight, the charger did not indicate the "Chg. Finish" display in the morning. I twirled the batteries in their slots and saw that they were approximately 90% charged so I used them in one of my Arlo cameras anyway. After inserting them into the camera. the camera indicated the batteries were only 50% charged. Thinking there was some glitch, I let the batteries run down and have now pulled them out to recharge them.

Now, when I have inserted them into the Nitecore D4 charger, I see all indications that they are charging with one exception. I can not use the "Slot" button on the side to switch between the four batter slots to read the level of charge in each battery. No matter how many times I press it or how long I press the Slot button, it never moves from slot 1.

Before I spend the money to get the newly recommended recharge station and batteries, I was just wondering if anyone had encountered this behavior and if this could be the reason the batteries showed only 50% charged in the camera.

Thanks.

PS: I am still debating getting the Arlo Pro but can't find reliable data on the motion detection/recording lag time improvement. If anyone has any info on this, please share!

Susan

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Pro has a much improved response.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The 50% indication could be due to one set of batteries (front or rear) weren't making contact.  That doesn't explain the charger issue which could be the charger or the batteries.  DO you have another set to try?

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

The 50% indication could be due to one set of batteries (front or rear) weren't making contact.  That doesn't explain the charger issue which could be the charger or the batteries.  DO you have another set to try?

The 50% indication seems to have been a one-off thing so I'm not so concerned with that.

The charger, on the other hand, has been acting very strangely. I have 6 sets of rechargeable batteries (a total of 24 batteries). Each time I attempt to recharge a set of 4, I have to push and twirl each battery around in the slots in order for the charger to indicate that there is a battery inserted. As I push on the end of the battery, the relevant slot indicator will come on and continue to go through the different display options. As I go from left to right inserting each battery, the previous battery indicators will go off. Once all four batteries are inserted, if I press the slot button on the side, it will sometimes indicate the slots in sequence and other times simply skip over a battery slot and move on to the next one with no indication which would lead one to believe there is no battery inserted.

Further, after leaving all four batteries inserted overnight, in the morning, the device will read ALL and Chg Finished. However, when I attempt to use the slot button to check each battery, I will often have at least one battery that indicates it is not fully charged or not charged at all. I then have to remove that battery or at the least twirl it in the slot, and or push on the end of it to make the device recognize it and charge it all over again. It is not the same slot each time so I don't think it is a bad slot or a connection issue in one particular slot. Most of the time, it happens on slot 2 and 4. I wonder if they are connected internally to each other in some way?

In any case, its slow going recharging all 24 batteries. I'm definitely thinking of switching over to the Arlo Pro anyway for the increased performance in motion detection/recording. I just have to wait for that rich uncle of mine to step on that banana peel...

Thanks. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Cheaper to change chargers but that's your call.