Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Netgear it's time for you to step up and tell your Arlo users what's going on with your suddenly crippled system. As you "well" know for several days your users are experiencing many problems causing their systems to be next to useless. As you know these issues vary but include; base stations that re-boot to default in the middle of the night causing the user to reset all their custom settings. Camera streaming ranges from sluggish to not possible, motion recordings not showing up in libraries and multiple camera software versions on the same system. You are putting your customers security at risk the same way you did with your Vuezone customers a couple of weeks back. We need and deserve an explanation and a resolve. I am a beta tester for a couple of home automation company's. I know the drill on trouble shooting and have tried everything. I also know as I am an executive in a very large company, that the way a company handles self inflicted problems will make or break them. Please talk to us NOW.
16 REPLIES 16
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, I have to give Kudos to one of their L3 Engineers.  She is the only reason why this system is not in the closet yet.  IF it was not for her this system would have been thrown WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the darkest relms of my storage closet, where the boogy man lives.

Turbo14
Star
Star

I have to say that this is really frustrating.  I just got my system about two weeks ago and I am trying to decide whether I am going to return it and get my money back.  I was pretty impressed with it initially.  But now, after the update, it really isn't filling my needs.  Today I have had numerous notifications of motion (had some work done outside my house) and yet my library only showed two recorded videos.  I now know that had this person been a criminal, I would have very very little captured on video, if any.  Scary.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Turbo14 wrote:

I have to say that this is really frustrating.  I just got my system about two weeks ago and I am trying to decide whether I am going to return it and get my money back.  I was pretty impressed with it initially.  But now, after the update, it really isn't filling my needs.  Today I have had numerous notifications of motion (had some work done outside my house) and yet my library only showed two recorded videos.  I now know that had this person been a criminal, I would have very very little captured on video, if any.  Scary.

TRUST ME, I feel your pain........

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

On a side note, I have to give Kudos to one of their L3 Engineers.  She is the only reason why this system is not in the closet yet.  IF it was not for her this system would have been thrown WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the darkest relms of my storage closet, where the boogy man lives.

+100 %...

And she was even here ( on the board ) on the holiday... Hope her bosses give her overtime !  🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
But not 1 peep from Netgear yet.
Turbo14
Star
Star

For those of you that have had Arlo for a while, and have been on the forums for a while...how have they been with support?  I know they have acknowledged the complaints in one of the threads.  But that is it so far.  Are they usually responsive about addressing problems?  As of now the response has been minimal and I am wondering how long I should wait to see if the problem is corrected.  I just want it to work how it did out of the box at this point.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

For those of you that have had Arlo for a while, and have been on the forums for a while...how have they been with support?  I know they have acknowledged the complaints in one of the threads.  But that is it so far.  Are they usually responsive about addressing problems?  As of now the response has been minimal and I am wondering how long I should wait to see if the problem is corrected.  I just want it to work how it did out of the box at this point.

Been dealing with netgear for a couple years now... ( Vuezone / Arlo ) will say that they are pretty good in following up in support.  better than some other companies.

If you have a complaint, the board is good for info that may solve your problem... but contacting Netgear for a real complaint is the way to go. IMO

They will open a ticket and it will be followed on till completed...

Morse is faster than texting!
coastalcarolina
Star
Star

This thread has a detailed list of the numerous issues Arlo has experienced lately, especially since the last firmware/software upgrade:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Firmware-base-1-4-2627-amp-Camera-1-2-2545-is-reall...

previous Vuezone user, loving the Arlo.
5 Arlo cameras, 2 Foscam FI9826s
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Besides the one L3 Engineer that I have been dealing with, most of the "support" is coming from suggestions from this community.  A lot of us had high hopes for this system with our dreams dashed days after purchase.   

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Turbo, I feel your pain.. Today, There's 4 motion detected on my Library and only 1 showed up.. 

In my experience, before this frustrating update occured, I was having glitches such as brightness/snapshot

settings not working at night.. At first it was a big deal to me but I got through with it since it's really a minor

problem coz in daytime it comes back to work fine..and besides the system was really working

perfectly for me.. It captures and records right away when there's motion detected.. I was hoping then on that

the next update will take care of this problem even though I already have had mixed feelings about firmware

updates, it's either it's going to fix the problem or it could go really wrong and add more problems..Unfortunately

my gut feeling was right and I picked the wrong choice of having the system turned the AutoUpdates On..

Now my system gotten' worse.. I did let the Arlo support know about my hit & miss recording issue and I never 

got a respond since.. 

I wrote here also in the forum "Please put back the previous firmware.. At least it was working fine." I was hoping 

the Arlo support team will see it and then maybe put into consideration.. I guess it may not happen but it's worth

a try.. 

Firmware is very delicate and it's the Brain of our System.. The Netgear development team shouldn't be messing

with it too much.. until they are sure and had been tested then go ahead.. Netgear should have that "AutoUpdate

Switch" taken out and replaced it with "Firmware Update Box" just like most of their routers/modem products..

The Big Problem with this AutoUpdate is what if you lose electrical power or your camera's battery

suddenly died in the middle of firmware update.. then your pretty much out of luck.. Not sure if Netgear rolled this

out but it's prolly' one of the common sense to put into consideration..

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

I have a feeling now that once this is resolved, many of us will disable auto updates.

And with the SERIOUS problems this firmware has, I have to question Netgears beta testing ability.

Turbo14
Star
Star

JPC and Anthony - very good points.  It does make you wonder how extensively the firmware update was tested before it was released.  If so many people were having such noticeable problems so quickly after updating, it is definitely a cause for concern.  Makes me wonder if it is in fact the firmware, or something else going on.  Trying to be patient and see if there is a solution (very) soon.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Got the "uanble to connect to Media servers" error message again this morning. I am at the end of my rope.

jeff_757
Star
Star

They should let their Tier zero support know when something is going on instead of having them ask customers the scripted questions, like if lights are on or if the network cable is plugged in.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Turbo, I think we're the beta testers for them.. I really don't think they tested this firmware thoroughly.. 

I can support my claim coz' the Updates come quite frequently.. If this is how fast the phase of firmware updates,

then it's definitely a Big Problem... A problem where they can fix one problem but 2-10 problems arises.. It 

becomes a gamble for us(system owners) wishing only if they could literally fix the problem for good in the next

update.. Really sad, coz' I happen to really like this product.. 

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

There's really nothing wrong with Hardware (Base Station & Camera).. It's the FIRMWARE it's what's causing 

all these problems we're all having.. If only Netgear would allow us have access to the previous working

less buggy firmware.. then the pressure at them and frustration from us would prolly' lessen a bit..