Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
beanybrooklyn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a new high-end Netgear X8 R8500 wireless router. Are their plans for Arlo to connect directly to other netgear wireless wouters (expecially the high-end ones) rather then having yet another seperate arlo wirless router?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check out the new Arlo Q shown in various places on these pages. Perhaps that's what you're looking for?

beanybrooklyn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I like both cameras and have uses mainly for the Q when it is available. The question is do I need to have a second netgear router, the arlo netgear router which is an inferior one to thier top of the line model? It is a mess to have multiple wireless routers in a single apartment. 

Consider this, I have a netgear R8500 as my main wirless router that is used by all our devices. Then I buy the Arlo cameras and add thier specific wirless router right next to my main wireless. The network stuff is messy as well as wifi channel conflicts, etc.

I can see Arlo using Netgear but not to take advantadge of thier own high-end router is, I hope, something that may be possible at some point.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can only guess why the original Arlo requires its own access point - battery considerations?  The Q, from the available documentation, doesn't reference a base station - here's a copy and past from the press release:

Designed to bring ultimate simplicity to smart home security, each AC-powered Arlo Q camera easily connects directly to any existing WiFi network.

NEWARLOUSER
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I purchased the Arlo 5 camera set-up, and an internal camera for the house. What I can't seem to figure out is.... why can't I use the Arlo with my X8 Netgear R8500 router? This was a 400 dollar router (their best) and they have no Arlo support. If I missed something on my set-up, please tell me? I noticed they have this availability on much older/cheaper Netgear routers. Yes, I did a firmware update on all my devices.  Thanks!!!

beanybrooklyn
Aspirant
Aspirant

After much digging and speaking to NetGear folks it turns out you MUST use the arlo branded router. it will not work on any other router as of this writing. I am disapointed for sure because i would have purchased the arlo security system had it worked with my new R8500.

I wish there was a way to give feedback directly to netgear leadership on this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

More specifically, you must use the Arlo base station or the R7000 router. Those are your only choices unless you use the Q cameras which only require a WiFi connection to any router.

NEWARLOUSER
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you both for your comments. It just seems crazy that with their tier 1 product, it won't support the outdoor cameras. I have one Q camera that connects directly to my existing wifi, and not the Arlo base. Hopefully, this will be addressed in a future firmware update. At a minimum, they should remove the router option in the setup page, or indicate which routers will work within their lineup; right now it's very ambiguous. Thanks.
NEWARLOUSER
Aspirant
Aspirant