Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Murlin1212
Follower
Follower

I was on vacation recently when the cameras showed 'Base Connection Not Connected To Internet.'  I searched the community forum but saw no questions excactly like my problem and was unaware of how to solve my problem.  Needless to say, it was very frustrating since the reason for an Arlo security system for me was to use it to monitor my home whenever I was away.  So, I suggest that you add the instructions on how to reset the base station prominently in all marketing information BUT especially add it to FAQ.  I did get guidance but it was after we returned home.  The question to be added is:

Q.  How to I restart my Arlo Base Station when I am away from home and when it says it has become disconnected from the internet?

A.   To re-establish the connection between the Base station and your wireless router, log into your Arlo Account, go to > Settings <  > Base Station Settings < then select "Restart."  

6 REPLIES 6
Kathryn999
Initiate
Initiate

The "restart" button is grayed out therefore, I am unable to restart remotely.  What would cause this to happen?

Frustrated in Houston

DogWalker
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem.  The power went out at my cottage.  When it came back on, I was offline.  I called my internet service provider and they reset the modem and the router.. they said that they were getting a strong signal from both and could see the Arlo Router however they were unable to reset it.  I called Netgear and they told me that the only way you can reset your router that is offline is to manually reset it.  You cannot reset it remotely.  Something that creates a huge problem if you have to travel a couple of hours just to reset the router.  Netgear should work on a remote way to reset the router because this is kind of crazy.... maybe allow the system to reset when the modem is being reset. Very frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the system is somehow offline, there's no way to access it from the Internet, not to mention your router would typically be set up to block such access it (security settings).

The best way to avoid this sort of issue is to use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS or battery backup) as mentioned many times in these forums.  By plugging the modem, router and base station into the UPS, power will be maintained for many hours, flying through most power outages (if the Northeast blacks out again, all bets are off).  A small, 750VA UPS can be purchased for ~$100 and could last most of a day.  Doesn't help much right now but can reduce future frustration a lot.

gordondl__
Initiate
Initiate

I have attempted the restart from my app and computer multiple times with absolutely no success.  It still remains off line and it is very frustrating to know that I paid >$600 in Arlo accessories to keep my house monitored, and is NOT being monitored due to being off line.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a friend/neighbor/relative that has access to the house?  If so, have them power cycle the base for you.  Be aware that there are occasional issues due to brief power loss that can cause this.  A UPS/battery backup for all your network equipment can help prevent this.  Not saying that's what happened, just a possibility.

gordondl__
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased one of the backup battery units, and look forward to installing it!  Thanks.