Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Camera won't go live/motion not working

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JLynn68
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 cameras on my system and one of them stopped working 5 days ago.  Been very busy so we took it down tonight and it looked like a low battery situation so I replaced the batteries.  The camera still wouldn't come up so I went to support to look for answers.  I rebooted the base station (twice), removed the camera and reinstalled it (twice), did a hard reboot of the base station and still nothing.  When I go into Settings, and click on the Motion Detection Test, it works but when I put my hand in front of the camera, nothing happens.  Also under Settings, when I click on the camera icon under Pan & Zoom, the camera activates.  Lastly, none of the cameras will go live, they all say "The connection to the media server has timed out."  On the camera that is giving my problems, when I click on Live, there is no sound, camera doesn't activate at all.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The reset button is in the little hole next to the power switch on the base.  Press it with a paper clip until the LEDs flash amber.  While it's rebooting, go into Settings, My Devices and remove everything.  Then use the Add Device button on the Cameras tab after the base shows green LEDs for both power and Internet.  Sync your cameras.  Nothing will have changed in your account/subscription since your account didn't change.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using the app or a browser?  Have you tried the other and a different browser?

You say you did a "hard reboot" - do you mean by using the power switch or the reset button?  Is the running man for the camera on the Cameras tab black or gray?  If gray, it's disarmed and won't detect motion or record.  You'll need to use the Mode tab, click on your base and change and/or edit your modes to use on that activates the camera.

It's also possible that you should reset the system.  If you do try this, note all your settings and modes before doing so.  Use the reset button until the LEDs flash amber and let the base reboot.  Meantime, use Settings, My Devices to remove all devices found there.  Now use the Add Device button on the Cameras tab to add the base and then sync the cameras.

JLynn68
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last night I had tried both the app and the browser.  The "hard reboot" that I did was that I turned off the base, unplugged it and then plugged it back in and turned it on.  

The "running man" was gray but I went into Mode as you suggested and now it's gone from gray to black.  The only trouble I am having now is that I cannot get a live view, still getting "the connection to the media server has timed out" message.  I'm guessing I'll have to do the a reset of the system as you said.  Not looking forward to that as I'm only mildly technically savvy.  You mentioned a "reset button."  Since I do not see that on the cameras or the base, is that within the app/brower? I see "restart" but not "reset."  

Also, if I do the reset, do you know if this will effect my monthly subscription that I have going to archive the videos?  Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The reset button is in the little hole next to the power switch on the base.  Press it with a paper clip until the LEDs flash amber.  While it's rebooting, go into Settings, My Devices and remove everything.  Then use the Add Device button on the Cameras tab after the base shows green LEDs for both power and Internet.  Sync your cameras.  Nothing will have changed in your account/subscription since your account didn't change.

JLynn68
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello again.  First, let me apologize for the delay in replying on your last response to me to help.  Unfortunately, I had to deal with Hurricane Matthew and everything snowballed from there.  Second, today I was finally able to reset my system and it's working perfectly now.  THANK YOU for your help!  I greatly appreciate it!