Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Arlo 4N7169773598F has a very short range for the motion detector.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Clearforked
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo 4N7169773598F has a very short range for the motion detector. I have tried the Motion Detector Test several times.

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Have you increased the motion sensitivity for that camera in the rule for that camera in the mode that you're using?

Clearforked
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes and have moved the camerato about 3.5 feet from the base. Still has short range and does not operate the night vision.

Clearforked
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the typical maximum range for the motion detector/night vision activation? Thank you for for responding.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion detection is good for ~20 feet, night vision or not, although nighttime detection may differ from daytime due to IR signatures vs. background IR.  

Clearforked
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems that +/- 20 is short for an outdoor camera as a Game Camera I have is +/- 100 feet. I will relocate the camera. Do I have to repeat the Sync operation when I move it? Thanks again for your help!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The difference is likely in the detection system. Arlo wireless uses PIR sensors similar to those in motion detection lighting. The detection range is about the same.

No, you won't need to resync by moving the camera but be sure to monitor the signal level so the camera still has at least 2 bars. Less can cause various issues like pixelation and lower resolution.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

And when you move it to a different location, you may need to reduce the motion sensitivity depending on what's happening in the background 20-25 feet is probably for people. If a large truck drives by with a huge IR signature, the cameras will be triggered even if the truck is significantly further away