Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple Cameras, Multiple Addresses, Multiple Base Stations

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mkquesnel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll begin this with apologies as it is a long story but I want to ensure everything is clear.

I currently have Arlo WireFree (early version Arlo VMC3030 I believe) cameras at 2 locations and have then set up under 2 different email accounts. One location/email account has 4 cameras and the other location/email account has 2 cameras. 

I just purchased an Arlo Pro2 set with 4 cameras that I am going to be installing at a third location. That makes a total of 10 cameras. I think through granting access I should be able to have 5 cameras show up on one email account and the other 5 cameras show up on the second email account. However I am not sure that it's possible to grant access to just a single camera as opposed to a whole account - I've never tried it. I have laid out below what I think the steps should be but I also have lots of questions. I would prefer not to have to set up a third email address to monitor this location but will do so if necessary.

Here's a couple of questions first that might help determine how to set this up:

- Can a Wire Free cameras be used with a Pro2 base station - will the base station recognize it and sync the camera?

- I'm assuming a camera must be synced with the base station in the location where it is used. If tha is correct then granting access may not work because a separate account will be required for each location.

Here is what I thought would work but it may not be possible if camera need to be synced to a particular location. Can someone confirm for me if this will work or what needs to be changed.

1. Location 1 already has 4 WireFree cameras synced to a base station on email account 1. Email account 1 should still be able to accept 1 more camera.

2. Location 2 already has 2 WireFree cameras synced to a base station on email account 2. Email account 2 should be able to accept 3 more cameras. 

3. Location 3 will have 4 Pro2 cameras but currently does not have an account. I was proposing delete one device from email account 2 (currently has WireFree cameras) and add these devices to account 2 making a total of 5 cameras on account 2. However, by doing that I now have 2 base stations in 2 locations but only one account. Can I have multiple base stations on 1 account without a subscription.

I think I've probalby talked myself into thinking I need a third account for the third location which I'm assuming requires a third email address. Or maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mkquesnel wrote:

I currently have Arlo WireFree (early version Arlo VMC3030 I believe) cameras at 2 locations and have then set up under 2 different email accounts. One location/email account has 4 cameras and the other location/email account has 2 cameras. 

I just purchased an Arlo Pro2 set with 4 cameras that I am going to be installing at a third location. That makes a total of 10 cameras. I think through granting access I should be able to have 5 cameras show up on one email account and the other 5 cameras show up on the second email account.

I think I've probalby talked myself into thinking I need a third account for the third location which I'm assuming requires a third email address. Or maybe I'm just overthinking this.

A base station can't be split across two accounts - and the cameras connected to that base can't be split either.

If you have one base per location, then you'll either need a third account or a subscription - because all combinations of 2 bases result in more than 5 cameras per account.

If you opt for the third account, you can use grant access to allow all the cameras to be monitored and controlled from a single account.

One reason to consider the subscription is that you can reduce the number of notifications and recordings - using either the cloud activity zones or the smart notifications (or both).

@mkquesnel wrote:

- Can a Wire Free cameras be used with a Pro2 base station - will the base station recognize it and sync the camera?

- I'm assuming a camera must be synced with the base station in the location where it is used. If tha is correct then granting access may not work because a separate account will be required for each location.

A wirefree camera can be synced to any base (including the Pro2 base).  Since the camera connects over the Arlo wifi to the base, the camera and base must be on the same site.

@mkquesnel wrote:

Can I have multiple base stations on 1 account without a subscription.

Yes.  So reducing the cameras on one site would allow you to use two accounts.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Go and upgrade to a Premier or Elite account ...then you can run 10 or 20 cameras all in the same account ...doesn't matter how many bases nor locations

easy 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mkquesnel wrote:

I just purchased an Arlo Pro2 set with 4 cameras that I am going to be installing at a third location. That makes a total of 10 cameras. I think through granting access I should be able to have 5 cameras show up on one email account and the other 5 cameras show up on the second email account.

A base station can't be split across two accounts - and the cameras connected to that base can't be split either.

If you have one base per location, then you'll either need a third account or a subscription - because all combinations of 2 bases result in more than 5 cameras per account.

If you opt for the third account, you can use grant access to allow all the cameras to be monitored and controlled from a single account.

One reason to consider the subscription is that you can reduce the number of notifications and recordings - using either the cloud activity zones or the smart notifications (or both).

@mkquesnel wrote:

A wirefree camera can be synced to any base (including the Pro2 base).  Since the camera connects over the Arlo wifi to the base, the camera and base must be on the same site.

@mkquesnel wrote:

Can I have multiple base stations on 1 account without a subscription.

Yes.  So reducing the cameras on one site would allow you to use two accounts.  

mkquesnel
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB - thanks for this very helpful reply. The most elegant/cleanest solution is obviously a subscription. I think I’ll try the 3rd account solution first and if that gets messy go for a subscription.