Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple Base stations

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
medsurg
Follower
Follower

I have questions about the operational characteristics of the system.

Do the cameras sync ONLY directly to the base station or can they communicate via my WiFi router?

I have a 5 camera system that I would like to use to monitor my commercial location. However, moving the base station to different locations in the building results in at least one camera loosing connection.

If cameras must communicate directly with the base station, can I add a 2nd base station to solve the relative distance problem? 

Will the 2nd base station be able to connect to the same online account so I can view all cameras with one login?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If cameras must communicate directly with the base station, can I add a 2nd base station to solve the relative distance problem? 

Will the 2nd base station be able to connect to the same online account so I can view all cameras with one login?

Yes, you can add a second base on the same account if the service level is high enough  ( elite ).  It's one of the main reasons to add additional bases

Additional bases can be even located at a different site.

The above is no longer vaiid info as per early 2016

Now you can add as many bases as needed/wanted the limit was removed and NOW only applies to the number of cameras ( based on your service level ).

Basic (free) is five, next level 10 and then 15 cameras (which is the max number of cameras allowed on an account )

The max number of streaming cameras is 5 per base, so if running 2 bases you could have a max of ten cameras streaming at the same time.

Bases can still be at different locations or spread out in a large home to maximize camera coverage.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do the cameras sync ONLY directly to the base station or can they communicate via my WiFi router?

Only to Arlo base

Yes, you can add a second base on the same account if the service level is high enough  ( elite ).  It's one of the main reasons to add additional bases

Also the max streaming cameras per base is 5, so if you have more then 5 cameras and want to see them at the same time is another reason.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The above is no longer vaiid info as per early 2016

Now you can add as many bases as needed/wanted the limit was removed and NOW only applies to the number of cameras ( based on your service level ).

Basic (free) is five, next level 10 and then 15 cameras (which is the max number of cameras allowed on an account )

The max number of streaming cameras is 5 per base, so if running 2 bases you could have a max of ten cameras streaming at the same time.

Bases can still be at different locations or spread out in a large home to maximize camera coverage.