Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ging1330
Follower
Follower

I am not sure if the magnetic ball mounting is for outside or if I need a special mount so it doesn't get stolen. 

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Almost anything can be stolen...

The ball mount will work out side if placed out of reach, and also use a short tether so if hit it doesn't fall.

But even better is the screw in mounts that Netgear and many other companies sell...the cams do use a standard 1/4-20 threadpitch mount just for that reason

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can use magnetic mounting for areas that a more difficult to access. If you have the camera in a position where someone could easily reach up and grab it and run, it's better that you use the screw mount. They could still unscrew it but it'll take a lot longer to get the camera

worldwatcher55
Guide
Guide

Hello TomMac, I read your post about 'tethering' the cameras if one uses the magnetic ball mounts outside.  I am new to this and will be putting up my first couple of outdoor Arlo Pro cameras, and I wanted to use the half ball bases.  Can you explain please how you would tether one of the cameras?

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
1/4”-20 bolt or screw in the threaded hole in the camera with a short cable/wire/strap around that bolt and maybe the screw gnat holds the mount in placebo or a second one in the location of your choosing. A little imagination for your setup will GI ebyuou options.
ToriJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

The screw mount type & 16 ft high didn't work. They broke the mount and still took the camera. The developers need to make a way to lock them so they can't be used.

ging1330 wrote:

I am not sure if the magnetic ball mounting is for outside or if I need a special mount so it doesn't get stolen. 

worldwatcher55
Guide
Guide

I wanted to respond to ToriJ on mounting the Arlo Pro cameras outside.  I have been successful at having 3 Pro cameras up around my home.  First, I put the black silicone covers on them to make the white cameras less noticable, then I mounted them upside down (which requires me to adjust the view in each camera's settings section) since I was mounting them under the eaves of the house, which are a dark brown.  I think the key is mounting them and color matching them to their background so they can't be seen, unless you come right up to them.

The 3rd camera I have installed on one of the pylon camera holders that came with the Pro kit.  I painted the white pylon a dark brownish-green, screwed the pylon onto a 1/2" black pipe floor stand (a threaded plate with screw holes in it that can be screwed onto a 1/2" length of black or galvanized pipe).  The pipe, plate, pylon and camera are then placed through one of my bushy hedges on the side of my house and left resting in a couple of crothes of the bush, so it is completely hidden, but can be adjusted and taken out of the hedge when my gardener trims the hedge once per year.  Works great and cannot be seen. Completely safe and secure.

Love the product.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And, to be clear, nothing is absolutely theft-proof.  You can screw it in, hide it, etc. but if someone is dedicated enough, it can be damaged or removed.  Windows and doors only keep out honest people.