Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Texteach62
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a camera over my front door. At the end of the day I have multiple recordings of my sidewalk and nothing else. This is even with me walking out the door to the mail box, or coming home with the dogs up the walk. It sometimes does catch me, but it's to slow often to pick up motion. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? I've tried adjusting the settings but that hasn't helped. 

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked the FAQs and knowledge base articles about positioning the cameras? Basically, motion should be across the field of view, maybe starting at an edge, and not directly at the camera.  Posting a screenshot would be useful.

Cip
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, the FedEx guy dropped a package off yesterday and I have no video of it. Somehow I have video of the garbage truck on the other side of the street though. I have adjusted the angle and motion, still nothing is pick up in front of my house. When my wife and I leave in the morning there is no detection of motion right under the camera. Please help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot for useful suggestions.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having the same issues- Sometime it records and sometime it doesn't. I don't trust the Arlo cameras- Not reliable. 

I think there should be a class action lawsuit.............. 

Texteach62
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is what looks like, sometimes it does catch someone on the way to the door, but I get lots of videos that look just like this shot the entire time they play. image.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue is the motion directly at the camera.  WHat has worked in the past for others has been to rotate the camera 90 degrees to get motion essentially across the field of view.  Not slick but it works.  You can use software to rotate the video once you download it.

If you do rotate it, aim it down a little so the view is just the entryway as much as practical.

Cip
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have adjusted the cameras and the motion sensitivity, I still only pick up motion in the street and not the drive way. The only time it's works on the drive way is when I get a ladder and climb up it to adjust the angle. So where do I get the software you mentioned?

And any other suggestions would be greatly warrented.
Cip
Aspirant
Aspirant

image.png

Cip
Aspirant
Aspirant

Those people walk right infront of the house and no motion was triggered.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cip wrote:
I have adjusted the cameras and the motion sensitivity, I still only pick up motion in the street and not the drive way. The only time it's works on the drive way is when I get a ladder and climb up it to adjust the angle. So where do I get the software you mentioned?

I guess you're talking to me about software. I'm on the tablet at the moment but I believe Windows Live Movie Maker has the ability so no need to buy anything. I suspect Macs have the same capability with the supplied video editor.

Damian6
Initiate
Initiate
I have an arlo pro camera and every time I try to adjust the motion detection it doesn't save it, it's at 50% and I put it to 80% but it doesn't work at all it goes back to 50% there's no save setting so it goes back to the same
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You set it in the modes/rules, not in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Motion Detect Test. If you're using the right section, be sure to go back a page using the Back selection in the sensitivity page and then use Save.
Idesign_2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues as well since day one. I am so tired of contacting support. I have done everything they suggest and it still doesn't help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Idesign_2,

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the following articles to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: 

How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

RockyRoad
Initiate
Initiate
I had the same problem and to reduce the problem significantly I increased my Motion Sensitivity to 100% and then I increased my Record Time from 10 seconds to 45 seconds. Now, it catches the UPS guy when he first arrives and stays recording longer. I know u said u tried Settings, but u weren't specific on what u changed. Hope this helps.