Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Sensitivity

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Just_Joel
Follower
Follower

Hello.

I have installed two camers on the second story windows of our house. I have the motion detection turned up, but I can only capture cars. I cannot seem to capture people as they walk by. I already receive alerts for every single car that passes by and that runs the batteries down quickly. I'm not too worried about thtat since i have extras charging, but id really like to get the groups of people as well. Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Motion sensitivity needs to be higher for people than for cars as the cars have such a large IR signature and people are much smaller. Hard to give advice without seeing the area but basically, you need to move the camera(s) to positions where they will not 'see' the IR of the cars going by. The PIR can see outside the view of the camera and much further away than it'll detect people. Your other option for this camera position is a powered Arlo Pro 2 camera that has motion zones where you can exclude the road but even with this, the amount of IR reflected off trucks etc can still trigger the cameras

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2nd story is a bit high and starts to stretch the capability of detection of people. The max distance is 20-ish feet so lowering them and/or pointing them down more would be useful.