Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
pam
Aspirant
Aspirant

i am getting a message to say my cameras are offline and it seems like my base station is offline. I have checked Internet and power on base station and both are ok. But one of my cameras is recording and i get email messages when this happens. Can anyone explain why this is happening, and offer some tips which are not too technical. I want to make changes to the schedule but can't acces this option because of the offline status. Thanks for any help.

48 REPLIES 48
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mcmu12,

This could be due to interference or range (cameras too far from the base station). If your cameras struggle maintaining connection to the base station this could cause them to drop offline. Are all of your cameras behaving this way or just a specific camera?

JamesC

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Nothing has been moved or changed. All 3 just started one day last week and then yesterday and today. Why is this happening to me and others? Many customers probably don't even check and notice that theirs is offline. Widespread most likely
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't explain every occurance but "nothing changed" is a frequent IT support issue. "Oh, yeah, well, there was one thing..."

It's possible that it has nothing to do with you but, perhaps, a neighbor. Lots of possibilities including defective Arlo equipment. Have you placed a trouble ticket? The forums are informal and can't do a thing for getting hardware replaced.

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Not asking for your advice. Nothing has been changed or moved - just me and no pets to move anything. Just letting these folks know it's not just them and probably not their batteries.
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Have had these 8 mos and they work great 95% of the time. Would like potential customers to know what to expect before they spend $$$$$.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

It happened with another camera as of this early morning. Power cycling the base station did not fix it. I did not get any low battery e-mails too. It is probably dead/low battery again like last month with the other camera. This is annoying! 😞

Fadi1234t
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same problem here. After I updates the firmware, things became unstable and now I cannot have the cameras streamed on the net. The application says that the cameras (2 of them) are offline. But all is in order here. Base has the three LED's on and internet is on.
I believe there is a problem with the Netgear new system update.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing to try is to power cycle the base station.  It may be that simple or not.  Worth a try.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jguerdat wrote:

First thing to try is to power cycle the base station.  It may be that simple or not.  Worth a try.

I already tried that in the past like yesterday. I am hoping to get to the disconnected camera later today.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

ant wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I already tried that in the past like yesterday. I am hoping to get to the disconnected camera later today.

FYI. Its batteries were low like last month's other camera. I am puzzled why I never got the e-mail notifications about them again. 😞

Joyb
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same problem spent 45 minutes on the phone with tech support to be told they want $1,200
Joyb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Seriously this system was a big waste.
Worked OK for a month or two by the time I got around to figuring out it was too late to return it
Joyb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Joyb
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do you power cycle the base station
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Joyb wrote:
How do you power cycle the base station

There's big button behind the base station. Press it. Or you could pull its power cable/plug and replug it. 😉

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Power and Internet on but cameras Arlo & Arlo Q showing as offline. I logged out of the router and onto it again and restarted the cameras and they came back on but I can't tell if it was from a loss of connection to the Internet or something else. Does anyone have any ideas?
gaheyrman34
Star
Star

Hi JAMESC,

Would using rechargeable batteries such as NITECORE RCR123A 3.7V 650mAh, cause the problems that I have?

I have been using them for the last six months without problems of going OFFLINE until now.

I have five cameras and 20 NITECORE batteries, I have a $1000 investment, so I'm concerned.

Please advise me.

Thank you, GAH

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 29, 2016, at 4:46 PM, NETGEAR community <community@netgear.com> wrote:

Hi gaheyrman34,

JamesC (NETGEAR Moderator) posted a new reply in Arlo Wire-Free camera Troubleshooting on 2016-06-29 04:46 PM :

Re: Arlo "base" device goes offline randomly

gaheyrman34,

If you have ruled out possible interference from other WiFi devices and have replaced your cameras with fresh batteries but still are experiencing this issue, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gaheyrman34,

It is possible, do you have to replace/recharge the batteries in order to get the cameras to come back online? What do you do to solve the issue?

Aslo keep in mind, NETGEAR does not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries, take a look at these articles for recommended battery usage/handling: Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

JamesC

gaheyrman34
Star
Star

I recharged some of the 20 batteries and the 5 cameras go offline once in a while now, not like they doing before.

I found that if I go to the "Devise Settings: Hit the "RESTART BUTTON", the system will reboot and you are good to go!

You can do the same thing by turning the base on & off, it will reboot the same as above.

I'm very happy that I found the solution to the OFFLINE problem and I hope it helps others.

Have a great 4th of JULY celebration.

Francie
Aspirant
Aspirant

But when I reboot the base station different cameras will go off-line.  Every time I repeat the base station different cameras will go off-line 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I encounter issues like this, I log out and back in.  That works for me but not for others.  You should also try both the app and a browser to see if one works.

Kimmy1971
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help me I had it online then now it says offline I really need it working tonight
Kimmy1971
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why is it showing in black and white then color sometimes
Ugh going crazy at least they are working can't make out the picture not sure it was worth a few hundred for the camera
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Like most such cameras, these switch between color and B&W when the light level passes a threshold.  At some point during dusk and dawn the camera will switch to night mode since B&W is more sensitive than full color.