Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Message says device offline, and cameras offline

Discussion stats
pam
Aspirant
Aspirant

i am getting a message to say my cameras are offline and it seems like my base station is offline. I have checked Internet and power on base station and both are ok. But one of my cameras is recording and i get email messages when this happens. Can anyone explain why this is happening, and offer some tips which are not too technical. I want to make changes to the schedule but can't acces this option because of the offline status. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I resynced both cameras, one was initially flashing orange which I realised was because it was updating the software. When I resynced it again it flashed blue, and then I was able to see both cameras on my browser. Not sure though why I couldn't see the camera which synced ok the first time. Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A couple of quick things to try.

1) Use the power switch on the base.

2) use the app or browser, whichever you haven't tried or use a different browser.

Do either of these help?

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
Mine says device is not connected. Make sure it is connected to router and have a working Internet connection. I have Internet and it is working.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AAnderson5406,

What device are you experiencing this behavior on (app/web client)? Do you experience the issue if you use a different device? 

Some users have had issues when trying to view while security software such as Bitdefender is enabled. Consider disabling any security software you may have and try again.

JamesC

LovelyNot
Apprentice
Apprentice

LOL, blaming other software, that's rich. It can't be other software, because it worked before, didn't it?

I'm also seeing this way too much, it must be on your end of the line, netgear. *Every* other website or service (even YouTube) works fine. No other devices using the internet, just the base station.

I also see this a lot when checking the house via 4G. Usually the live view doesn't even start. App crashes often (on up to date Samsung Note 4 Android system).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Now you're just trolling.

BitDefender has been a fairly consistent offender for connection problems - all you have to do is search here to find various threads with such reports and resolutions.  Yes, other software can and does cause problems.

Also, most folks don't tell us everything that has gone on.  I'm retired IT (Unix/PC/network) and users would tell me everythinng that happened to get them to their situation.  And then I'd find something and there would be the "Oh, yeah, and then there was that" moment.  Internet troubleshooting is always problematic since we can't see the whole situation. 

Do us all a favor and contribute, not troll.

pam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I resynced both cameras, one was initially flashing orange which I realised was because it was updating the software. When I resynced it again it flashed blue, and then I was able to see both cameras on my browser. Not sure though why I couldn't see the camera which synced ok the first time. Thank you for your help.

Jace_Cabz
Aspirant
Aspirant
The base says its offline. Was working fine last night. I tried powering off and on. I also tried to sync the camera, but when pressing sync button on the base for a couple seconds, the sync indicator will not turn on.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jace_Cabz,

What is the LED behavior on the base station (power light, internet light)? Do you get the same behavior from both the web client and the mobile app?

JamesC

Jace_Cabz
Aspirant
Aspirant
The power and Internet light is on(green). the mobile app says it's not connected.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming this is a first install process for your account, the app device has to be on WiFi on the same network as the base.  Have you tried the browser suggested above?

Docmm
Initiate
Initiate
My cameras are offsite, I can't just resync my cameras without driving for an hour and a half.
You need to work on this problem full time to fix it, not just try patches to get thru.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Docmm,

Consider a base station reboot. This can be done remotely by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your base station > Restart. Allow the base station to come back online and check the status of the cameras. If they are still showing offline, they may need fresh batteries. Try installing a fresh set and check to see if that brings the cameras back online.

JamesC
Ctbrown101
Guide
Guide

Reboots are not solving this issue. You have a serious problem with the app. It all started after I updated the app.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ctbrown101,

Are you seeing the same behavior on the web client? Consider replacing the batteries with a fresh set and check to see if that brings the camera back online. Please let me know if you continue experiencing this issue.

JamesC

Ctbrown101
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

Yes - I am seeing the same behaviour on the web client.  So web client, iPhone, iPad are all shwing the cameras as offline.

I tried also resetting the base station using the 'reset' pinhole on the back of the base unit.  This also did nothing to improve the situation.

I press the sync button on the base station and the green light on the base station begins to blink. Then I press the button on the camera (making sure to hold it close to the base station) and the camera blinks once slowly in ORANGE.  Then it appears to blink ORANGE every 10-30 seconds after that.  When I originally set it up the camera blinked BLUE (the way it should).

I just changed the batteries in the camera only a few weeks ago - so I have ruled out failed batteries as a cause.

Cheers,

Craig

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you didn't.  The blnking amber means low batteries.  Change 'em.

Ctbrown101
Guide
Guide

Well, the batteries are brand new. I only replaced them about three weeks ago, so your 'help' is not helpful.

It also doesn't explain why my other two cameras (which also have full batteries) are also offline.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ctbrown101,

If you pressed the reset pinhole on the back of the base station, this would have factory reset the system. This would explain why the other cameras are showing offline. You will then need to remove and add the base station back to your account.

Log in to your Arlo account > Navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your base station > Click remove device.

After the base station has been removed, click "Add Device" on the cameras screen, select Base Station and follow the on screen instructions.

After the base station has been added back to the account, you will then need to go through the camera sync process.

Pay close attention to the camera LED behavior when syncing: What do the different LED behaviors on my Arlo Wire-Free camera mean? A slow blinking amber LED indicates dead batteries, if you get this result, they may need replaced before you can complete the sync process.

JamesC

Ctbrown101
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

All three cameras were showing offline for two weeks BEFORE I ended up using the reset button as a last resort.

One day I suddenly stopped recieving ARLO Alerts in my email and after a few days I wondered perhaps if the system was OK.

When I checked it, I found all three cameras showing as offline.  This was LONG BEFORE I started troubleshooting and trying different solutions.

I've tried so far - Rebooting the base station, reseating all the cables and connectors, checking for firmware updates, removing and re-adding both the base station and the cameras.  I tried re-syncing a camera the other day and it blinks ORANGE every 10-20 seconds.  I just replaced the batteries in it less than a month ago so I am having trouble believeing the batteries have ran out.  Besides, this does not explain why my other two cameras went offline also.

The system is less than 4 months old and I'm losing my patience with this expensive (but troublesome) security 'solution'.

Craig

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ctbrown101 wrote:

Well, the batteries are brand new. I only replaced them about three weeks ago, so your 'help' is not helpful.

It also doesn't explain why my other two cameras (which also have full batteries) are also offline.

We can't know all the ins and outs of your exact situation but 3 weeks does not mean fresh batteries. It MAY but also may not. If you don't change them, no one can be sure.

Ctbrown101
Guide
Guide

My last lot of batteries lasted several months. You can't seriously expect me to believe that 3 weeks is a realistic timeframe for using up brand new batteries during normal usage?

Just FYI also - the batteries are the same type as before and the camera recording durations / settings have not changed.

3 cameras going offline suddenly on the same day is not a battery issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ctbrown101,

If you do not believe the issue to be the batteries and the suggested troubleshooting above did not solve the issue. Please contact the Arlo Support Team for further investigation. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Netgear keeps throwing out the battery idea but it IS NOT the batteries. A child could figure that out. It is Netgear. Tired of having cameras offline for 12 hours and then coming back on on their own. What is causing this to everyone???????
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
This issue is not solved. Keeps happening repeatedly with no apparent cause and corrects itself. Hope no one breaks into our homes while Netgear is offline.