Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
operasinger
Tutor
Tutor

The user GUI for the Arlo Wireless cameras is the worst I've ever encountered! There are no tool tips; no UI descriptions for anything; difficult, unintuitive ways in the UI to get things done; utterly nonintuitive throughout; SW bugs; and the manual is awful and can't be relied on. Besides, the user shouldn't have to resort to using the manual for this kind of product.

I have told every tech rep I've been forced to call because something doesn't work (or I can't figure it out) to PLEASE tell the SW dev ppl to make this GUI user friendly, but nothing has changed. The user UI for a product like this should be simply but it's head bangingly frustrating.

I beg you to make the user GUI simple and user friendly.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

operasinger,

What are you having difficulty with? There are many helpful knowledge base articles available on the community that provide step by step instructions on how to achieve many tasks within the Arlo UI.

Let us know what you are trying to do and we'd be happy to assist.

JamesC

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess it's because I've had the system for a number of years now but I find the design logical and intuitive. How would you want to change how the system functions? Modes are required for functionality with scheduling, geofencing, and home automation integration. Rules tell each mode how to get each camera to function. Some people have previously suggested each camera gets individual control but that would make it far more complicated and time consuming to set up.

As above, if you have read the user manual and how-to guides and still can't work out how to set up the system to function how you'd like, let us know exactly how you want it to work and we can give you step-by-step instructions

operasinger
Tutor
Tutor

These cams are relatively simple, thus using the user GUI should be, too. The GUI should be designed such that the user should rarely have to consult the User Manual or a knowledge base. But this GUI has NO tooltips; NO descriptions; seemingly multiple ways to do things but only 1 correct way, thus ineffective without user knowing (il.e., naming a camera); and weird stuff such as using the back arrow in order to save a change, which is utterly nonintuitive. There are a number of "Gotchas" in the user GUI.