Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Low Battery Issue

Discussion stats
Shogun
Follower
Follower

Installed less than a month ago, and have to already replace the batteries. Dont have motion detection on regularly to drain batteries. All five cameras went out on the same day, exactly one day after I was unable to connect to the hub remotely. Were the camera batteries unneccessarily drained during this one day period when the hub was unavailable to connect?

37 REPLIES 37
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support?  Why struggle with an issue without a case?

WHat batteries are you using?  How are you installing them?  I've had batteries stick down in their hole so now simply place them in their slots and let the battery door push them down.

sdhtran
Star
Star

It's device that uses batteries, like thousands of others. Why do I have to put these batteries in in some particular fashion to make the device work? PLus the device works except the batteries don't last more than a couple days. I've read numerous posts about this issue and have tried the suggestions, opening battery cover, making sure software version is up to date, making sure batteries are fully charged etc etc. None of it solves the problem or explains why the initial batteries lasted months. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that there are manufacturing tolerances and differences.  Different batteries are sometimes slightly, sometimes noticeably, different sizes where they will not fit properly.  Netgear nor any other company can take all tolerences into effect so taking a few steps on your own can be useful.  It's easy enough to do - why risk it?

And there's still the issue of opening a case.

sdhtran
Star
Star

Well I just did and now when I go to my app my camera won't even turn on telling me once again its time to change batteries. I agree some batteries may be different but strange that in all my years only this device seems to have this problem. Even cheap kids toys take all kinds of batteries with no issue and yet this security device is somehow so delicate different batteries can throw it off?

sdhtran
Star
Star

Just tested the batteries that are reading empty in the camera, they are fully charged.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would imply improper connection in the camera. That would imply a hardware problem if you're sure the batteries making contact with the battery door. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.
sdhtran
Star
Star

Already did

jguerdat wrote:
That would imply improper connection in the camera. That would imply a hardware problem if you're sure the batteries making contact with the battery door. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

sdhtran
Star
Star

Also, kudos to Arlo for creating something that uses this obscure battery size. I guess AAA batteries would have been too common. UPDATE - the fresh batteries I put in yesterday are now giving me an alert that the abtteries are tired already after less than 24 hours.

I now have instructions to try from Arlo:

"
a) Power cycle the network :
1. Unplug the router/modem for 10 seconds.
2. Unplug the base station for 10 seconds

Note : The 2 LED from the left of the base station should turn solid green indicating that if has finish booting up.

b) Making sure that the batteries are good :
1. Remove the batteries of the camera for 10 seconds.
2. Just put the batteries back in after 10 seconds.

Note : The camera LED should light up solid green indicating that it has good battery level.

c). Re-syncing the cameras back to your base station :
1. Press sync on the base station for 1 second.
2. Press sync on the camera for 1 second.
3. If connection is successful the camera LED should turn to fast blinking blue.

If the steps don't work then do the following :

d). Remove the camera from the account.
1. Go to the Arlo web portal(https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login) or open the Arlo app.
2. Go to settings >> My devices.
3. Select the faulty camera >> remove device.
4. Once removed kindly follow step letter ""C"" to re-sync the camera."

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sdhtran,

Less than 24 hours of battery life is definitely not normal (providing the cameras are under normal usage conditions).

I encourage you to continue working with support to resolve this issue. If you need further assistance please let me know.

JamesC

sdhtran
Star
Star

Took my "dead" batteries out, waited 10 seconds, put the same batteries back in. Batteries show now as full. The saga contnues.

sdhtran
Star
Star

and....now I just got a report that the batteries are readin at 4% again after readin full this morning. This is so exciting, what will happen next? It really keeps you in suspense. Will my advanced piece of security electronic keep me safe or will it fail because for some reason it can't accept the weird battery they insisted on using for it?

Stay tuned!

sdhtran
Star
Star

Well

Looks like all it took was for me to buy the batteries from the single manufacturer of these weird batteries that Arlo recommended  and the problem is solved. Really?

This annoyance alone makes me want to never buy your product again. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

first of all CR123A batteries are not weird. But keep in mind they come in two types,3.0 V and 3.7V.  The Arlo need the 3.7 V batteries

Like so many things CR123 batteries fall into good, bad and ugly categories, thats why there is such a range in prices for them.

I experimented with various rechargeables and found the recommended Tenergy 3.7V to work well.