Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Shogun
Follower
Follower

Installed less than a month ago, and have to already replace the batteries. Dont have motion detection on regularly to drain batteries. All five cameras went out on the same day, exactly one day after I was unable to connect to the hub remotely. Were the camera batteries unneccessarily drained during this one day period when the hub was unavailable to connect?

37 REPLIES 37
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Shogun,

Thank you for your post. We have had a hand full of customers reporting inaccurate battery level readings regarding their cameras. This was caused by a programing issue that was recently discovered by our software team. Cameras that were positioned outside in cold temperatures were the most effected. If your cameras were placed outside in the cold temperature please try the following listed below.

Bring the cameras inside to room temperature and remove the batteries. Let the batteries warm to room temperature before placing them back inside the cameras. This will allow the batteries to regain their maximum charge and allow for a more accurate battery reading from the camera

If your cameras were not in the direct cold please follow the steps listed above to reset your battery reading levels.

If you continue to experience problems with your batteries please reply back to this thread and I will further assist you.

The Arlo Team

David

adammolinaro
Aspirant
Aspirant

After bringing my cameras inside and getting the batteries to room temperature, I still have a low battery warning. 

Please let me know what I am to do now.

Thank you,

Adam Molinaro

yonder
Initiate
Initiate

One of our 2 cameras showed low battery after 6 weeks, and died when the other was 3 bars.

Replaced the batteries, but checked the 4 batteries. One was <1 V, and the other 3 normal, so one failed battery made camera stop working.

These are the original batteries.

Watch for one bad cell if your cameras fail early.

Acquirephile
Guide
Guide
My outside cameras are used nightly, probably have 200+ videos recorded in 30-50deg weather. The battery life is just fine on those cameras.

However, the camera with no motion detection and is not used but maybe once every 3-5 days for 2 mins shows the batteries need to be replaced.

Is there an update for this or should I send the camera back?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What camera firmware versions do the cameras have?  Look in Settings, Camera Settings and scroll down to the bottom for each camera.  If they aren't current (1.2.2412), open and close the battery door and watch the front LEDs for update status.  Perhaps the one camera isn't up to snuff and replacing the batteries will force the upgrade.

Acquirephile
Guide
Guide
I've got 1.2.2412 on all cameras, the base station is on 1.3.2261. No updates available.
Acquirephile
Guide
Guide

I swapped batteries with another camera, and the batteries from the defective camera were showing as almost completely used in different camera as well, so the defective camera is using much more battery power than normal at an idle state. 

I bought new batteries today and replaced them.  The camera was offline after the replacement for 2 reboots, then I noticed that it needed to be re-paired with the base while in the same room as the base unit.

I guess I'll keep an eye on it and update you all in another couple weeks.

Acquirephile
Guide
Guide
I just needed five days.

I deleted the camera from the paired devices, re-synced it, it worked for about 10 minutes. Since then I got "Offline" so the camera was not accessible.

Today I got, "It's time replace your batteries." This camera now shows 6%. I JUST replaced the batteries Wednesday.

I have a ticket in with NETGEAR L2 support (Allen) and said he said would call me when he is available, but he hasn't called me back since their last missed attempt (Wednesday). I have to say I'm not liking my experience with NETGEAR support so far.
Cjstarkey110
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem. I was told buy the sales person the battery's last a year. They haven't lasted 3 weeks .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's extra consumption when users first start using the system. Once over that hump, battery life generally gets much better. Consider the use of rechargeable batteries as referenced in the Buying Tips and Options forum.

Acquirephile
Guide
Guide
I still have this issue, and those cameras (on two separate bundles that I've purchased) have not come back online since.
Lamorena619
Tutor
Tutor
Where can I get firmware updates
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lamorena619 wrote:
Where can I get firmware updates

Firmware updates are now fully automatic... If the base requires an update ( meaning there is one that wasn't done  ) usu a reboot via the power button will trigger it

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Lamorena619
Tutor
Tutor
Hi I'm having a problem with the sensitivity button it's with the pencil 0 means no sensitivity and then running means 10 more movement right but it seems like this camera is triggered by every time the dog moves so is there any way I can adjust that more or how do I work that issue
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You've got it right. Try resetting the camera by opening and closing the battery door. Could be a defective camera by also try swapping with another camera if you have one. If the trouble follows the camera, create a trouble ticket.

Tlien
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are getting low battery screens for two of our cameras despite changing the batteries. I tried to restart the device from the app, but no change. One is an outdoor camera and the other is indoors. What should I try next?

Thank you!

Sharon

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sometimes using the power switch gives you a resolution that using the restart button doesn't since it actually powers everything off, clearing memory, etc.  Worth a try.  What batteries are you using?  There's always the chance that you got a bad batch, regardless of manufacturer.  Did they instantly show low battery or did it take some time?  Roughly how much recording and live viewing has been done on each, in minutes?

Gregory143
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here, replaced all thee cameras after 1 month. 2 are reading fine the other I changed the batteries twice in 4 days. Still reading low battery
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gregory143,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Mike12345
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought, batteries are low after one day of very minimal use
Mike12345
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just purchased the set.. batteries are low and now dead after very very minimal usage don't know what to do have now used this device once please help
rdt303
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Just bought 5 cameras. 4 show full batteries, but one suddenly showed almost dead batteries. I just replaced the batteries, reset the camera, reset the base station, but the brand new batteries are still registering as almost completely spent. This is clearly a camera issue. Any resolution?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rdt303,

Because only one camera is affected, this could be due to poor signal strength between the camera and base station. One way to isolate this further is to place the affected camera in a location with an unaffected camera and see if the behavior follows the camera.

JamesC

sdhtran
Star
Star

Firmware 1.2.10342

Out of the box the batteries lasted a couple of months. Since then after  a couple days I get a low battery alert after putting in fresh batteries. Camera is useless if we can't even go on vacation without wondering if the camera will even last until we get back. From all the comments I have found online this is a known problem with this device and no one has seemed to be able to find a resolution.