Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Low Batteriy warning after 1 week on Arlo Wireless (just 1 camera)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ZoonORama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought and installed my 5 camera system 1 week ago today. Of the 5 cameras, one is being RMA returned (DOA) and one was pink after 1st day. The pink one is resolved (for now) but the rear camera (which is less than 25' from the base unit) gave a 14% battery warning today. All other cameras have 95-98% battery left. The settings are exactly the same on all of them including motion sensitivity. I have armed the system once since I have had it for this one week.

Why is this one camera eating batteries and the others are not?

1 of the cameras is approx. 65 feet and has nominal signal to the base but it is at 97% still.

Arlo Wireless Cams

Latest firmware - just updated a week ago.

6 REPLIES 6
manfredz
Hero
Hero

the most common cause would be, although close, something is interfering with the signal ( wall etc) causing the cam to keeping to try contacting the base, eating up battery power.

other causes bad batteries , a battery not making proper contact or dirty contacts. Dont push the batteries into the compartment but let them be seated by closing the compartment door.Try swapping low battery cam with another to see if the other also shows a quick drop.

ZoonORama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll swap it with the one that is about 6 feet away. These are on the corners of the house and the other one is still at 98%. If that one drains quickly then I'll know it it interference. If the offending cam drains quickly in the new position then its the camera and not the batteries. I'll let you know. Thanks for the info.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS:

You are using the OEM batteries??

If so and you have a voltmeter, New OEM cells read 3.2v and are basically flat at about 2.8v.

I would keep track of the cells if you pull them ( location ) and test them ... ( btw, they run flip-flop in pairs when runnning properly, front set and back set )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ZoonORama
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, using OEM batteries. I pulled them earlier today and checked them. First pair was 2.56v and the second pair was 2.73v and 2.71v. Changed them with fresh batteries and moved that cam indoors 3.5' from the base station. Will see if the other cam I put in its place drains as quickly.

Thanks for the info!
ZoonORama
Aspirant
Aspirant

*** UPDATE ****

Ok so over the past several months I have swapped the 1 camera that keeps eating batteries with all the other cameras. Every time I do this, the one camera (#3) eats batteries within about 1 week. I took the camera offline and left it offline for the past month. Recently reconnected it and fresh batteries. Set it within 10 feet of the base unit and within 1 week, batteries are at 3%. All settings are identical to the other cameras. I work from home so the system is armed maybe once per week. All other cameras are still on the original set of batteries from August. Most have over 60%.

I think I need to RMA this camera.

Thoughts?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're way past my patience level for bad hardware. Yes, absolutely, open acase with support here for a defective camera. You've done all the testing needed.