Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Sensor

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hotwheel
Follower
Follower
I just bought the Arlo security camera i want to put 1 outside im my back of the house how far is the range to pick up. I want to put camera on my balcony and facing it to my car and outdoor shed? I have a 2 level house will it be okay ?

Thamk you
4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

All of the Arlo Wire Free HD cameras, the Pro and Pro2 and the Go will work outside as they are weather resistant. The question is how far away from the hub can the cameras work reliably. The only way to find out is to try. If they dont work at that location, back up a few feet until they work every time. You might need to purchase a Wifi range extender or reposition the hub so that both cameras work reliably.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It also depends on what you mean by "range". The distance between the base and camera or the detection range? As noted above, you can improve the connection between the camera and base with positioning but the ability the detect motion is only upt to maybe 25 feet for people. Add in the distance above ground and that distance can be shortened (vectors). Try to stay 7-8 feet above ground for best success and keep the camera pointed down sufficiently so the camera is only seeing what's truly of interest and not the whole yard and sky.

brh
Master
Master

Yes, although I think he said he wanted to mount the camera outside on the second floor patio.

If his base station is on the first floor and the signal needs to go through a floor and a wall, I doubt very seriously that the wifi signal will reach the camera.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The floor and wall scenario really shouldn't be a problem by itself. What's inside those walls and floors may make all the difference in the world, as well as what the house wall is made of. I have cameras scattered all over with some on different floors relative to the base with no issues. Of course, longer distances and everything else can get in there.