Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
Forkball88
Follower
Follower

I cannot stream video feed when trying to access my account through a desktop/PC. I can access the feed from my phone app just fine but when it comes to a desktop I get a 'connection failed' message on my cameras. I tried using various different browsers but that didnt resolve the issue.

What other fix is available?

18 REPLIES 18
Publisher
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you get a reply on how to lice stream or can tell me where to file my complaint, I will join the rest of the frustrated folks that bought the systems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Forkball88,

Welcome to the community! When streaming through the mobile app were you on a 3g/4g connection or were you connected to the same network as the PC? Some users have experienced issues when they have virus protection software enabled. Consider disabling any you may have and attempt to stream from your PC again. Let us know!

JamesC

irish12257
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, disabling the virus protection makes no differance.

I would also like the security key for the base station(netgear11)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No way any of us get the WiFi key for the base. If nothing else it would make all systems insecure.

As for the A/V issue, it's not the A/V itself that's the issue but the built-in firewall in some implementations. Folks have had to open ports 80 and 443 to netgear.com in order for access to occur. It all depends on the exact firewall and settings.

TeriLea
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't live stream or play library videos.  Turned off all a/v, firewall & phishing on my BitDefender. 😞  How do I open the ports you mentioned?  Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And sometimes changing the browser fixes it too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Thomas_Ge
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

Not sure if I have overseen the final solution of this issue.

I can stream via app (Android, iOS) from whatever location / network but not from my Windows 7 laptop. Live stream states "connection failed" after about 30s.

I do use a business laptop with no admin rights, therefore changing any firewall settings is not an option.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thomas

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you can stream via the apps on IOS & Android, your system is working.

The FIRST and simplest thing to do is install another browser if able ( like Chrome, Fire Fox ) and test that

Morse is faster than texting!
Kutay
Aspirant
Aspirant

After paying a good amount of money to the most expensive home cam on the market, it is really disapponting to learn that it doesn't have a desktop app and also no chance to get streams over local network.

If it was a baby monitoring cam only, I would be not questioning about it but while it was a pro home cam with a large number of expantioning capabilities, a desktop app and local network support sounds like a basic need.

Arlo has a state of art design but it is hard to understand why Arlo doesn't have those options while much cheaper competitors have.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

1. you can livestream your cams by going to https://arlo.netgear.com

but keep in mind the arlo, like other battery operated cams, is not designed for long continuous live streaming.

If you manually start live streaming, it times out after 30 min, and 8-12 hours of live streaming will empty your batteries.

Also keep in mind you are not accessing your cam directly.  The progression is cam to base station to cloud server and you are actually streaming from there.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Like some others, you dont have a desktop app but use your web browser, in this case going to https://arlo.netgear.com

No battery operated cam system is designed for extensive live streaming.You can live stream but it will time out after 30 min.  Also keep in mind 8-12 hours of live streaming will drain the batteries.

The features you're saying are available in cheaper cams are in mains powered cams, not battery powered cams I believe.

Kutay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. Yes Arlo is a battery operated cam but it also has mains powered option right? So that can not be an issue. If it was only a concern regarding to battery life time then those options could be still available but only if it is powered via cable.

I believe Arlo will include those options in a near future. Because their competitors may anounce a product supporting the points that Arlo missing.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

no, Arlo does not have a mains operated option.  Neither does the Arlo Pro, although I understand that a solar panel uption for it will be brought out sometime in the future.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Pro can be run from the power supply permanently but the overall design is to defer to the battery operated possibility. Attempting to use the camera for long duration viewing or recording will result in the camera timing out.
Kutay
Aspirant
Aspirant

manfredz,

Though you are right for the none pro model, the pro model is working properly with mains powered and also working properly while the battery was not attached. I tried it by my self and looked fine to me.

But I also need to apologize for missing that the none pro model is not supporting mains power.

While one of the models doesn't have a mains powered option then it will not make sense to have the desktop app and local streaming options.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Since you didn't post to the Arlo Pro forum I assumed you were referring to the non-pro model, so we're both right.

From what I understand adding a mains cable to the Pro is a recent add on, so if there are no technical reasons why the Pro shouldn't stream continuously, maybe down the road the 30 min timeout will be lifted. But since the cam wasn't designed with continuous streaming in mind, there may be technical reasons, I just don't know

Even for some Arlo non-pro this would be useful, if you use rechargeable batteries, though you would drain them in 8-12 hours so a 30 min default timeout would still be best.

Kutay
Aspirant
Aspirant

By the way, I want to share with you the way I use the arlo web app like a desktop app.

I believe most of you already knew about it but I just wanted to write it down for those who don't know.

There is an option on Google Chrome browser for saving a web page as a desktop shortcut.

There is an icon which is in shape of 3 dots at the most top-right of the Google Chrome browser.

After you click on that 3 dots, you will see a drop down menu list and you need to find the "More tools" option in that list. If you make your mouse wait a second on that option, then you will see another menu appearing on the side and then you need to find the "Add to desktop..." option in that side menu.

You need to do this while the arlo web app page was active. And after you click on the "Add to desktop..." option you will see a pop up menu in which you can define a name for your shortcut and also do not forget to check the "Open as window"  check box in that pop up menu. 

After you click to "Add" button on that pop up menu,  you will have a shortcut with an Arlo icon on your desktop. And when you click on it, it will open a new browser window loaded with arlo web app and the best part is the new window will be without search bar, address bar, etc. and it will look like a desktop app just dedicated to Arlo.

I'm also using a password manager and it is loggin me into Arlo automaticaly. 

So now when I click on the shortcut on my dekstop, it is launching the arlo web app in a separate none web broser looking window and logging in automatically.

You may also use it later to trigger on some conditions and pop up on screen automatically.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

at first your post confused me, so just to make sure I've got you straight.

, when you say web app, you mean the website arlo.netgear.com?

and the rest is describing how to save the url as a desktop shortcut?