Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ScotCamera
Luminary
Luminary

On noticed on the Dec 5th release (v2.12) that it runs incredibly slower on my iPhone than the previous version. I timed more than 10 seconds from start to when it is actual up and running. I'm running it on my iPhone 8. This is definitely not a thing that i would expect to see on a new version of any app.

Is anyone else experiencing this startup lag time?

49 REPLIES 49
Foxman4
Tutor
Tutor

Well sussed GulDam.

I’ve just tried that and you are absolutely correct.

75H
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey silverado44, THANKS from an Android user! Didn't know about apkmirror. All other suggestions failed. Yours worked. Staying with it 'till they get the bug out.
75H
Aspirant
Aspirant
ArloAlex thanks for reply, seriously. I saved the log, uninstalled again, and rolled back to Version 6060. Back to normal.

I'm sure developers can find me if they need help. Since I can't open the zip file myself, not comfortable sending it anywhere.

I'll just enjoy the older app until this gets figured out.
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

I understand your concern on the log file, @75H. Our developers certainly are interested in your help (and messages like these are our way of "finding you" 🙂 ), but unfortunately, the first step does start with being able to see what is happening in your app when it misbehaves.

75H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Copy that, just pm'd. Thanks.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm back on the 26060 version and no dice for me. Did a full clean/uninstall/reboot before installing that version. Gotta be something wrong on Arlo's servers.

KCSpring
Initiate
Initiate

I did a search on slow issues with the app and found this thread. I enabled badges and app performance immediately improved. Very strange bug, but by changing the setting, it fixed the slow response.

Astecs777
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow, this really did work. Thanks for the suggestion!
Phjg87
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ArloAlex
I just submitted a case as well and I'm an Android user.
Case number - 41355257
Having issues regarding the loading of the cameras, they won't load and they continuously try to reconnect. Also, there is no history in my library.
ScottMc1
Guide
Guide
Since the Arlo 2 system update, I’ve noticed my Arlo takes from 8-20 seconds to be fully operational. Before this update everything was instantaneous. I’m not behind tech wise, using iPhone 8+. I’ve had my XFINITY checked and it’s perfect. 500+mbps download and 18mbps upload. Can Arlo please fix this issue?
ScottMc1
Guide
Guide
I’ve determined it’s due to the 12/5/19 system update.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ScottMc1 wrote:
I’ve determined it’s due to the 12/5/19 system update.

Did you try enabling badge and sound notifications?

75H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to update those of us following this thread, I have an Android and have no plans to move off v.6060 until I read that all cylinders are working.  I rolled back my app on Dec 23 and on the morning of Dec 24 everything was working fantastic both wifi and cellular.  The only thing odd is I stilled get bumped to a log on screen after non-use, but a fingerprint logs me in and it is quick.  For now, I'm calling that a "feature".

The badge/sound notification doesn't affect me. Possibly an IOS issue?

ScottMc1
Guide
Guide
No I have not. If I do my iPhone will get smothered with motion alerts and sounds.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ScottMc1 wrote:
No I have not. If I do my iPhone will get smothered with motion alerts and sounds.

You could try it in a short test, to determine if the performance issue is resolved with those setting changes.

ScottMc1
Guide
Guide
Sadly I’m fed up with Arlo 2 and there ignoring all of our complaints over their 12/5/19 update. I’ve bought 9 Pro2 cameras for my system and since said date it takes from 8-20 seconds to be able to use my cameras and motion playbacks. Why is Arlo not dumping this child designed update and roll back to the software that was error free? And please nobody tell me to turn on my sounds and notifications as the solution. That’s ridiculous! My iPhone 8+ would be bombarded with notifications every few seconds! ARLO SUPPORT PLEASE ADDRESS THIS INSTEAD OF DOING NOTHING!
Tineke_C
Star
Star
Turning on “badges” worked for me too! Thank you!!!!!!!!
NormCouturier
Guide
Guide

@kmiller8821  - Thanks for the tip!  Yes, that worked fine for me also.  And, yes, it is a weird bug.

Anyone at Arlo Product Support listening?  This bug is likely annoying a large portion of your user base right now - it's one of those "stupid" bugs that you should patch very quickly and not wait for your next "release".

Norm

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Your very welcome! I'm glad my tip is saving some of you the annoyance it caused me. 🙂

I'm hoping Arlo will fix this, I tagged @JamesC in a previous post.

ScottMc1
Guide
Guide
Since the dreaded 12-5-19 system update, I’ve noted that my cameras flash on then off while waiting for my system to become working. I have a secondary camera system at my home so I can see this. I also notice the cameras turn on and off repeatedly without any motion recording. There is definitely something wrong with the Arlo update from 12-5-19. I wish our Arlo people would “try” to ether fix or roll back the O.S. For spending all this $$ I find it upsetting that we are all left hanging without any help.
oturn3
Initiate
Initiate

Like so many have reported lately, for the last several weeks Arlo performance has been horrendous. I mean so terrible that I started to consider abandoning Arlo altogether. Mention of this problem is scattered throughout the forums, but you can really see them in the multitude of 1 star reviews in the App Store. Arlo needs a "General" community section so we can more easily disuses these common issues.

Anyway, this week I finally put some time into researching the issue, and lo and behold someone on Reddit mentioned that a fix had been found on these forums. I don't recall the specific thread, but it was reported that enabling sounds and badges in the iOS notification settings restores performance to normal. I already had sounds enabled, but I had the app icon badge notifications turned off. I very skeptically turned them back on, and WOW! Back to normal! Don't get me wrong, it could be faster, but the really terrible performance was gone. I can finally get logged into the app and see my videos within a reasonable amount of time. The problem/fix is also completely repeatable on iOS. I have an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13.3.

How is it possible that a company like Arlo can have such a poorly coded app available for so long, where a simple notification setting can have such a major impact? Furthermore, how can a company like Arlo seemingly ignore so many complaints, and/or not find and fix this problem? I'm really happy this simple settings change has fixed the problem, but really? Like everyone else I've had plenty of issues with my cameras that I've had to work through, so my opinion of Arlo wasn't stellar, but admittedly the quality and capability of their cameras is exceptional. However, this is near the last straw for me. This was 2 to 3 weeks such poor performance that I completely missed multiple alerts, with the onus being on me to find and fix the issue. Radio silence from Arlo. This is unacceptable.

Arlo needs to get a management team in place that can address these issues in a timely manner, or they will start hemorrhaging customers. 

Sorry...had to vent. I'm done now. 🙂 

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the posting the information. I have not had the problem but when I checked, Sound and Badges were green. They must have been turned on when I installed the app.

oturn3
Initiate
Initiate

This was a new discussion topic on the Arlo Pro 2 forum, and not a reply to this thread. I'm happy this is the main thread for the fix I mentioned, but I feel like my rant stood on it's own and shouldn't have been stripped out of the main Arlo Pro 2 forum. I'm assuming this was done by the moderators? Was this done to reduce the visibility of my comments? That is how it appears.

Shanster
Aspirant
Aspirant
Omg - app now goes so much faster. Super weird that this setting would speed things up so much!!! Thank you!!!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

It would appear the latest version of the APP (IOS 2.12.2) has resolved the issue of slow load times with badges off. I have turned off the badges and sound notifications and it's working fine.