Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issues using Cross-Recording

Discussion stats
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just want to get an idea of how many users had some type of issue today either with rules on your mode not working, getting alerts with no video. Don't post problems with getting the right motion angle or mounting issues. I had a custom trigger mode set for 2 weeks where camera 1 would detect motion record and have camera 2 record. Camera 2 would detect and record and have camera 1 and 3 record. These rules worked great till sometime early today 7/20/16 when none of the activated cameras would trigger the others in the rule. I hard and soft rebooted the base to no avail. It seems to be getting back to normal now. The purpose of this post is just to get a record of how many ppl this affected not to bash. When I contacted netgear and told them a bunch of problems like mine popped up on the forums and asked if they had any server issues they said they had to confirm. I think with a web based service if they have a server or software issue they should instantly advise ppl so we don't go crazy and at least know they are working on it. Still love my Arlo!!

67 REPLIES 67
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes the old name ALL MOTION was carried over with the new SW update... It remained in the list after the update and the new defaults were as I metioned.

There is a problem netgear is working on re recordings with stacked rules ( a does b / a does a / etc ) not sure if its the same problem your having.

But I would still rewrite the old default and replace it anyway just in case.

BTW your firmware is ok and correct to my knowledge

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Now what? Get up this morning and found battery level of one camera is "charged" up to 94% by a heavy rain last night. It was 72%.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many minutes of recording and/or live viewing on that camera?  Some folks have opened and closed the battery door and found the battery level to return to expected levels although it's also possible that the level wasn't correct before and now is.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had 2 cameras that a week after buying were down to like %78 and then without touching them a week later they were back at around %96, also popped the battery cap on another and it jumped up %15 , so who knows I'll use the battery meter as a loose reference and just keep an eye out for the camera acting weird once it gets low
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

less than 2 min a day the camera is installed behind the fence gate it won't work unless someone enters. 

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

thanks tox79! perhaps another bug in software. now I just wish Netgear can fix the record asap. 

Mcgyver210
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've noticed today since about 03:45am my stacked rules are working better but not consistently yet.

I read all the post here after I had tried everything I knew how already lol. I guess I should have checked first but I have a tendency to try to fix myself first not wanting to unnecessarily bother others.

Anyone else notice a difference yet?

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Angles are huge especially when it comes to such a small motion sensor.. It took me a good bit of moving and adjusting to get mine to catch movement where I need to. It worked a thousand times better with my rules set up so hopefully they will fix that ASAP but even with single cameras I'm getting good video. I'm just worried about when I do need to replace batteries getting them back in the correct spot
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone tried redoing there rules for multi cam recording lately? I'm guessing it won't work as netgear has acknowledged a problem and hasn't issued a patch or statement saying it's been fixed
Mcgyver210
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did that as my second attempt after rebooting base. It didn't do anything but waste time & increase frustration lol. The stacked rules are how I can actually catch stuff because the camera that actually gets the motion doest actually catch the even most of the time.

I also have 4 rings which catch events much better in reality & have very long rechargeable battery life.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Mcgyver210 I was gonna post something here and ask if someone had the ring system in conjunction with Arlo, as long as we get our rules back working I have no issues with Arlo it worked well with my rules, if they don't get them back that is a different story, but I was thinking about adding a ring to my front door. Of course Arlos rules stopped working 1 day after my return policy was available so if they don't fix I will take other avenues to get my money so I can purchase a ring for every door
Hairfarm
Star
Star

Add me.

Typical. No video, latency, "camera unavaliable" errors. Why is it that I'm having to attend to Arlo more than ever now? Each update seems to make things progressivly worse. Lame...

Mcgyver210
Aspirant
Aspirant

bmattox79 wrote:
@Mcgyver210 I was gonna post something here and ask if someone had the ring system in conjunction with Arlo, as long as we get our rules back working I have no issues with Arlo it worked well with my rules, if they don't get them back that is a different story, but I was thinking about adding a ring to my front door. Of course Arlos rules stopped working 1 day after my return policy was available so if they don't fix I will take other avenues to get my money so I can purchase a ring for every door

I've had rings about the same amount of time & have liked both but honestly I now believe the Rings are actually better because hardwired capability & long life rechargeable Batteries as well as the video & audio recording. Now rings come with a significantly higher operating cost per unit at $30.00 per year each.

I have 15 arlo & one arlo Q & right now on

Y use 14 arlo & the Q because of account limitations.

Without rule stacking I would have given up on arlo a long time ago. I still question it's longterm viability & wonder if it is time to go hardwired again with IP cameras as my other house was. Big difference is I got all events with hardwired & miss some things with a loss just not sure.

It appears as though my rules are working again though as of now no missed stacked rules. I go thru Batteries on average 1 once a month for more frequent cameras & 2-3 mths on less frequent cameras.

Rings have to be recharged about every 3-4 months & I've been thinking of hardworking all like the front door is now.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

It so of prove Netgear makes good product- How can we put trust of these security cameras- I count of these cameras to make my family safe. 

Arlo07
Aspirant
Aspirant

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

With my rule stacking working for the first 2 weeks I was very happy with the videos I was getting, a car in my  driveway or person walking up or across my driveway would set motion on my front door camera wich would record and activate my side door to record wich gave me two great angles of whoever was coming to my house, what I don't get is they acknowledge an issue but what happened exactly there were no updates to anything unless they had server side changes that messed something up, the other thing that made me laugh was this happened the 16 day after I purchased, one day after my return period expired.  I will have to set my rules back up tomorrow and see if they work.  I got another message from support regarding my open ticket saying they have bumped the issue to senior level or something so as far as they are saying it's still broken.  On a side note I think being able to plug a 8Gb or so USB drive into the base to store custom settings locally and to store videos while being recorded then upload to the cloud once finished recording would eliminate most of these issues.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just received this from support...promising
"We understand that cross-recording rules are as important as the default camera rules. An update will be pushed to address this concern soon.

We greatly appreciate your patience. There is no action needed from you at this time. We will update you upon the availability of the fix
Mcgyver210
Aspirant
Aspirant

bmattox79 wrote:
Just received this from support...promising
"We understand that cross-recording rules are as important as the default camera rules. An update will be pushed to address this concern soon.

We greatly appreciate your patience. There is no action needed from you at this time. We will update you upon the availability of the fix

Really odd mine has been working all day like normal, I thought they fixed it.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Mine come back to work this morning. Yes perhaps they have fixed it. 

Mcgyver210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just updating my stacked rules have now been working for almost two days no issues.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also wanted to add that I got home from work this morning and set up all my stacked rules and they have been working like they should for hours s
Thank you netgear
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Netgear !

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just another update ,had my rule stacking on all day and it seemed to worked as it should about 95% of the time, so much better than it was but I guess issues could still be expected as net gear says there is an issue and they will be pushing an update to fix it

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesCI hadn't accepted this as a solution only for the fact that I was told that an update would be sent to address the issue that netgear was aware of. So was it something only on your server side that had to be addressed or will there still be a firmware update coming to permanently address our issues.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bmattox79,

A fix was released over the weekend that has addressed this issue. The fix does not require any action from the user. (no firmware update required)

Please let me know if you are still experiencing problems with your rules.

JamesC