Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just want to get an idea of how many users had some type of issue today either with rules on your mode not working, getting alerts with no video. Don't post problems with getting the right motion angle or mounting issues. I had a custom trigger mode set for 2 weeks where camera 1 would detect motion record and have camera 2 record. Camera 2 would detect and record and have camera 1 and 3 record. These rules worked great till sometime early today 7/20/16 when none of the activated cameras would trigger the others in the rule. I hard and soft rebooted the base to no avail. It seems to be getting back to normal now. The purpose of this post is just to get a record of how many ppl this affected not to bash. When I contacted netgear and told them a bunch of problems like mine popped up on the forums and asked if they had any server issues they said they had to confirm. I think with a web based service if they have a server or software issue they should instantly advise ppl so we don't go crazy and at least know they are working on it. Still love my Arlo!!

67 REPLIES 67
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC

You guys have to handle this type of situation better.  First, OWN the problem.  Second, Inform the community. When multiple users report the SAM EXACT ISSUE, the system has a problem.  The scripted "did you do this, did you do that" only frustrated Arlo users, inclduing myself.

Maybe PIN a topic in the community, read only, and label it "Known Issues".  That way users can stay informed saving us from throwing these cameras in the garbage.

Just my 2 cents.

Hula

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesCok great thank you so much for the quick action in resolving our issue. I personally think this is a great system when all my rules work especially for the ease of use/install. Everything is working as before the issue right now, thanks again!!!
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree 100% and mentioned that during my ticket creation, if there is an issue let us all know so we don't think it's only our problem, ppl understand things get messed up and need to be fixed, but a simple thing like posting it will keep us from going nuts. Communication is simply the best way to keep customers happy
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

I couldnt agree more. I was so frustrated by tech support being told to re-start the cameras, adjust the angle etc that I actually called the retailer where I purchased them to see about returning them. If I had known I was not the only one with the problem, I could have rested a little easier.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep that's all you hear around here is adjust and reposition the cameras or private message a photo. Problem solved...... Really a great product to own.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Most first tier customer service is just read from a script, do this try that, again just tell us there's an issue and that your working on it and we will understand and wait for the fix without thinking we have an isolated issue
ctderek
Guide
Guide

@JamesC I'm having issue still, but it's with the app notifications. Everything cross records as I set but the app is giving me the same notification. Example; camera A detects motion and records on camera A and B. I then get two notifications simultaneously alerting me that camera A has detected motion nothing for camera B. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

ctderek wrote:

@JamesC I'm having issue still, but it's with the app notifications. Everything cross records as I set but the app is giving me the same notification. Example; camera A detects motion and records on camera A and B. I then get two notifications simultaneously alerting me that camera A has detected motion nothing for camera B. 

I noticed the same thing this morning..........

Hear we go again ....

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC I am also having that issue. And, I am afraid to say, one of the cameras which was supposed to cross-record this morning did not. When I pulled out of the driveway, and later, when my wife did, the camera triggered by the driveway recorded, but the driveway did not. I have adjusted the recording times so that I can know which cameras were the triggering device (record for time in multiples of 10 seconds) and which were the triggered device (multiples of 5 seconds) because the displayed alerts are wrong. This morning, it was the triggering device which did not record, but the triggered device did. Same as last week. I really hope this is not happeneing again, lol. I can live with the incorrect lables, but the cross recording issue is a real problem. Thanks for your help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ctderek, Hula_Rock

I too am seeing push notifications arrive as you describe, thank you for the report. I will escalate this for further investigation.

Tocker30,

I have tested this and did not see the same results as you describe above. I will update the case you have open with support and escalate for further investigation.

Thank you for the feedback,

JamesC

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC I readjusted my modes slightly and then restarted the base station, and I no longer seem to be having issues with the cross-recording, only the duplicate notifications. Thank you for your help.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesCcross recording has been working about 90% of the time so pretty good so far since the issue but I have been getting very inconsistent recording times. My initial camera records for 25 seconds and the secondary for 20. I've been getting time from 5-10 seconds shorter or longer. Just putting that out there as something to put on you list of things to check
Thank tou
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

bmattox79 wrote:
Most first tier customer service is just read from a script, do this try that, again just tell us there's an issue and that your working on it and we will understand and wait for the fix without thinking we have an isolated issue

Yes exactly........all is left to get is "is it plugged in.....?" actually no not that.....I meant "you sure there are good batteries inside?". Please give us a break, issues we're experiencing with Arlo need to be FIXED by Netgear. How much more obvious does it need to be that endless numbers of upset users have done all that is required for proper installation and all the same problems keep getting reported over and over again?

It's a disgrace really, to be given this kind of runaround.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agreed, I love the system and being as basic a setup as it is I expect bugs here and there, my issue is when there's a problem, own it don't give us the typical customer service bs, and if they would implement a few of the users suggestions it would alleviate problems, I have an idea in the idea exchange along with others for local USB storage of videos, this would get rid of lag completely and also since it seems the rules are stored on the server side store them on the USB so they are locally accessible
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just wanted to update anyone following this post as of today my system is still working 85 to 90 following my rules which is not bad still not as good as when I first installed the system but much better than when we had problems. I have found that since they fix this problem I seem to be getting clips missing 2 to 3 seconds on a more regular basis I guess this will have to be my next ticket to put into netgear support. Anyone having this issue that also had cross reporting issues please post here I hope in there next firmware update they do add USB local storage for videos and rules as I think this would cure every problem with the system
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree... Why have usb on the base, if we can't use it... Simple things like local storage not only for video, but rules, could speed up the system and allow us to have secondary place to retrieve video and photos and most importantly could be longer than just past 7 days, but instead be limited by the size of the usb drive... So, we could potentially have 30days of local storage and 7 days of cloud storage. That would be awesome.
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I started a thread asking if the rules were stored on the base or the server, I was initially told they were stored local but then that they would ask a higher level. I'm 100% sure the rules are stored on the server which is why when we had cross recording issues they fixed it on their side. Also part of the lag or no recording on cross recording could be due to the fact that the base has to contact the server get the rule then tell which cameras to record then wait for the server to accept the stream of video, if the rules were stored locally network congestion wouldn't effect the base applying the rules, and if the video was stored locally even if only until it could be uploaded to the cloud there would be no waiting for the network to clear to record