Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

Having just purchased a system with one camera for starters I find the triggering on movement is not good.

I have the camera about 10 feet above my front drive pointing straight at my car. It never detects my car going out or coming back and I guess that is because I am travelling directly towards or away fromt the PIR  It does trigger from cars going up and down the road outside my home which proves that the PIR is working and at quite a good distance.

The main problem with triggering I have found is that while the camera lens sees 110 degrees the PIR SEES APPROXIMATELY  30 DEGREES. Once the camera is triggered it records any movement throughout the cameras 110 degreees picture until 10 seconds of recording have been made when, without any further trigger, nothing more is recorded.

This accounts for people only seeing  partial recordings even when walking within  the cameras field of view. Until they reach the trigger point nothing is recorded.

At this time I am not sure how to overcome this. Obviously camera position is critical. but how I, personally, can keep the camera safe I dont know because it looks like I will have to bring the camera down to THEFT level.  Also I have decided I will need 2 cameras to cover the front of my home with this PIR setup. (the camera itself sees the whole of the front of my home).

As with most IR devices the night vision is not good. I have just purchased some cheap infra red lights to see if this improves matters. We will see.

The camera pictures during daylight are very good. I like not having to drill for power cables. My first batteries will not last long but that is because I have been moving the camera during live recording and have numerouis triggers which down the batteries. Proves the camera records when triggered.

Overall I like this system if I can just overcome the trigger problem. Will report back if I succeed.

I am not a TECH savvy person. This is just my observations. Hope this helps. See you soon.

6 REPLIES 6
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Are you aware that you can go into module/ the rule you're using and change the recording length up to 120 sec.

bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

High manfredz. No I did not realise that. Thought is was a standard recording length. Must learn to read instructions.

Have tried to alter sensitivity to 100% but it is always moved back to 80% when I check. Is that another instruction I must read and inwardlly digest.

Must try harder.

Is there an instruction manual for down loading?

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm in the UK and its midnight. Will try tomorrow.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

don't know of manual but all kinds of stuff posted to forums.

Sensitivity is also set in rules.

If it bounces back it could be you did not save the changes or also made my silly mistake.  I made a rule that covered every cam's recording length and sensetivity, but instead of switching the radio button to this rule, I left it at the default Armed setting

bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks once again. Have now set the recording time to my choice and ,yes, I probably did forget to save.....put it down to old age and senility.

Keep smiling.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bryan536,

Instruction manuals can be found here: Where can I find user manuals for my Arlo cameras?

JamesC

bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks JamesC. I have now downloaded the manual so perhaps I can start doing things correctly. ( I'll try but don't hold your breath )