Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is the Base station compressing the video it sends up within the packets ?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
User23
Guide
Guide

The reason I ask:

According to speedtest.net I have upload and download speeds of:

With no camera's actively displaying: 

download speed: 87.41 mps

upload speed: 9.94 mps

- yeah, I work from home over comcast.net doing computer support so I pay the bucks for a really good connection

with even just one camera running actively

- in theory the same performance occurs when motion is detected also (?)

Download: 22 mps

upload: .4 or lower

- come on that upload speed is as if I reverted back to AT&T dsl or something 😞

This may sound backwards if your not use to video codecs and performance of video streaming over the internet, but the better compression schemes are fast and actually reduce the bandwidth hit and improve performance. In a server only based solution like yours, I would think an extremely high end compression scheme woudl make both your end users and your servers much more happy.

I have to conclude that anyone with a lesser bandwidth are going to experience a huge lag in camera peformance as well as complete loss of motion captures due to network performance. Hopefully the base stations also have a decent amount of memory so that it can queue up the unsent data. This would help as I'm not so concerned about how quickly I get the video captures then I am that it does indeed capture it - even if that means it has to catch up at times by feeding out what's saved in the base stations buffer.

I've been working with computers, networking, and software development for years so I'd be happy to get on a call with one of your engineers.

By the way, I actually love Arlo - I think it's awsome and I've been able to tweek my network and position of my cameras to where they work quite wll and capture very early into people walking into the camera range. Part of that is no doubt my broadband bandwidth, but I've discovered some nuiences about your IR tech in your cameras that once I've figured these out has made a huge difference.

Great camera system ARLO team !

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, to answer your question the video is compressed ( tbomk).

If you look atthe videos closely, you'll see the compression using key frames... the videos seems to sort of pulse from a bit ' sort of out of focus' and shapens as it goes till the next key frame and stars over.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

User23,

Welcome to the community and thank you for the high praise. You mention that during your time spent tweaking your setup you discovered some nuances about the IR tech that helped you position your cameras for the best performance, would you care to elaborate on this? It would greatly benefit the community if you could share what worked best for you so other users might emulate these conditions to better their experience. Please let us know!

JamesC