Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Granier
Guide
Guide
What can be done when update fails despite many many attempts ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Granier
Guide
Guide

My base is VBM4000 too
My solution was to return base and exchange for a new one
So far working but I do remain puzzled
Marc

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Usu, a power button reset of the base will do it...the updates happen during the night during normal server house-keeping.

If that fails, then maybe a full reset is in order ( tho that will require a resync of the cameras ).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Granier
Guide
Guide
Thank you so much !
I tried all that , including cameras resync
Still the message for firmware update keeps coming back and keeps failing ...
Marc
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you tried all above, it couldn't hurt to contact Netgear Support... they have a few more options available to them ( like base logs, etc )

See what they say.

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Granier,

What is your ISP/speeds. Poor internet connection/speeds could be the cause of the issue.

JamesC

ryry2410
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, and can't find a fix.  I am about ready to return the system.  My base says model VMB4000. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What's your transfer rates as measured by speed test.net?
Granier
Guide
Guide

My base is VBM4000 too
My solution was to return base and exchange for a new one
So far working but I do remain puzzled
Marc

Luddy111dog
Aspirant
Aspirant

(Please note my system is netgear vmb4000, which is not included in the list above)

I'm having the same problem.

Brought the system (netgear vmb4000) 3 days ago. Everything went smooth. Couldn't be happier.......until the following message covered each camera screen. 

A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.
Let’s start with the base station.

Update Base station

So you press on the "Update" button and the following comes up.

Are you sure you want to update to 1.8.9.0_11528?

You obviously press the "Update" button once again & with the stopwatch going & 63 seconds later, the following message comes up.

Upgrade failed - File failed to download. Please try again.

Have tried to update at least 50 times from my laptop & smartphone (using wireless & phone chargers) with no luck.

Been through all the help & advise possibilities regarding this problem on this site (Reset, open batteries, turn off & on etc.....& yes I have really good internet speed)

Only one option left & that's to try it on another server that has NBN which I'll try this time tomorrow.....which really shouldn't be needed when you spend $1300.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Any more advise would be welcomed.

Cheers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sometimes a reset on a new system helps - hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber and remove all devices in Settings, My Devices.  Start fresh with Add Device in the Devices tab. That generally fixes things although you may need to wait overnight to get the updates automatically.  Of course, this means your connection to the servers has to be allowed - you seem to imply that this may be in a business scenarion ("try it on another server") which can be problematic.

Luddy111dog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok sorry for the late reply.

Took the system to work (where theres NBN) and did a full reset.

Programmed all camera's just like last time & up came the dreaded UPDATE FOR CAMERA's message.

Pressed on the updates & BINGO.......Everything went smooth, like it should.

The system is AWESOME & I would recommend it to all households & small businesses that want to cut-out the middleman.

When movement is detected, a text message along with a 10 second dvd is sent within 5 seconds.

You can ARM (or DISARM) the camera's from your phone with ease.

One thing I'd like to know is whats the maximiu distance that these wireless camera will work from the main station as I'm on an acreage?

Cheers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Max distance is relative to what's in the path of the WiFi connection.  Free air is the best (as long as there's no interference from other 2.4GHz wireless devices).  Walls, ceilings, building construction, etc. all gets in there to determine maximum range.  WHat's the longest distance you have to work with?  What's between the base and cameras in that case?  You may need a second base to help cover the area.