Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I get vertical green / purple lines to the image.. sometimes... evidence included. anyone else?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jeremyfisher
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Everyone,

I've searched the forum / internet, but can't find anything really. Sometimes.. and not every day.. I get green or purple vertical line artifacts.  The camera's a week old.  I've experienced it rarely from day 1, but chalked it up to / hoped a software glitch.

I *think* it happens when it's bright / sunny (like today).  I haven't seen this on a night vision image for example.

Here's a purple still example from a little earlier - https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/32AE84C632CD4AE5 and here's a green video example - https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A4B8D31B92A7FDCD

Right now, as I type it's fine. Most of the time it's fine...

Hoping it's not "slightly faulty" and someone else experiences this sometimes / has a real answer for why it happens and maybe Netgear can patch it out?

Thanks very much, J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may not be the typical optical flare but an overloading of a sensor column or two from the strong light coming straight into the lens. Whatever the exact definition, I do believe it's from the sun. Whether that has a long-term effect on the sensor remains to be seen. Since your screenshots are with the sun more or less shining directly into the lens, that would also explain why it's only occasional. When the sun isn't shining into the lens onto the sensor the artifacts aren't present.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a little hard to tell but I think it's flare from the sun. Rotate your camera down - you have WAY too much scene visible. Also, depending on what you're trying to capture the camera needs to be offset to one side since it appears most motion will be directly at the camera which will not give you the best motion detection by far. Motion should be across the FOV and start near an edge. Check out the FAQs for more details. If it were my installation, I'd raise the camera and tilt it down so the street is only partially visible, if even showing. Can't tell if a tree or other object is available on the side of the view to attach the camera so motion is across the FOV.

Jeremyfisher
Tutor
Tutor

Hi J, thanks for the tips, it suits me where it is for now though.

It's also not flare?, it's a solid, green or pink / purple "line of pixels" and as I say, not constantly there.

I've done the usual rebooting of base station and taking the batteries out over the course of the week too.

Cheers, J

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may not be the typical optical flare but an overloading of a sensor column or two from the strong light coming straight into the lens. Whatever the exact definition, I do believe it's from the sun. Whether that has a long-term effect on the sensor remains to be seen. Since your screenshots are with the sun more or less shining directly into the lens, that would also explain why it's only occasional. When the sun isn't shining into the lens onto the sensor the artifacts aren't present.

Jeremyfisher
Tutor
Tutor

Ok thank you that makes sense, I'll get it shifted.  Hopefully it's not picked up any long term damage!! (although with this kind of advice not appearing anywhere and these cams theoretically being hardy, I'd hope it's capable of a bit of sunlight now and then.