Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo wireless cam a different battery question

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
NEW042016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi to all, I bought an Arlo one cam wireless system about 6 months ago, super easy to set up, tested it a couple times works great. I then turned the camera off/disarm motion, faced it to a blank wall so it should not be working/detecting anything.

I got an email notice my (factory new) batteries were low and needed replacing, again, the camera was used on day one, worked great, then put into no use status.  I am not sure how my batteries died? Maybe the Netgear router and the cam were communicating even though it is in idle status?

I did put a multimeter on the batteries and they measured around 2.90- 2.95 volts, the cam will not operate at all now with the low batteries, I would expect lower quality or shutting off but the cam is basically dead??  I will try some fresh batteries but I am surprised I get nothing at all.

Any comments would be appreciated.  

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, the way I read it above is you turned it on 6 months ago and then disarmed it.

If what I said is correct, the cameras ( IF BASE WAS PLUGGED IN ) go into a sleep mode. In sleep mode, they use very little power.... but they still use power.

The only way to turn off the camera for long term is to remove hte batteries.  If the base was turned off, the batteries will go dead even quicker as they attemp to find the base and use more power than while sleeping ( with base on).

New OEM batteries should read 3.2v, and at 2.9v they are as you thought, pretty well done.

I have 2 very lightly used cameras that sleep all the time and the batteries make about 7 months so your time isn't far off.

Now, when you install new batteries, you MAY have to resync the cameras like when they were new ( not normal but if they were dead long enough maybe ). If this doesn't work, reboot the base via the power button and try again. Worse case is you'll have to fully reset the base and start back as new.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
NEW042016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for taking time to comment and all the details!

The base station was plugged in the whole time (green LED's lit) and the single wirless camera (with batteries inside) was about three feet from the base station. 

I like the system, I just have not decided how many more cameras to buy and then the wired Q came out so that is a new consideration and it is a pending project.

I double checked my purchase date (time flies) and the system was first turned on eleven months ago so my six months is off by almost double. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I double checked my purchase date (time flies) and the system was first turned on eleven months ago so my six months is off by almost double. 

Ok...good to hear all is normal. 11 months on a set in slepp mode is good.

BTW, for indoors, if you have enough bandwidth on your home wifi, the Q cams are great... better motion detect and rez for videos.

Possible down side is most home wifi's have a weaker signal compared to Arlo bases so the range may be slightly less compared to Arlo cams

Morse is faster than texting!